Sometimes I just crave vegetarian foods. As I sit here this morning, looking at this photo, I could dig right into another one of these….but I will contain myself! One of the hardest parts of being a “foodie” and a cook is leaving well enough alone. I admit, I’m having a harder time lately and therefore I have resorted back to my cooking light recipes.

I attended a boarding school in my high school years that served only vegetarian foods. My mom also made vegetarian meals at home, so for me this wasn’t a horrible thing. I really crave some of these foods at times. Since last evening Grumpy wasn’t particularly in the mood for anything I decided to make these Chickpea and Corn Patties. He promised me he would try them – he’s good like that. He didn’t care for these but I really liked them! Guess I know what I will be eating for lunch the next few days – but I certainly won’t mind!

Chickpea and Corn Patties
Cooking Light Complete

2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1-1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears) (I just used canned corn – no fresh corn in the middle of winter here and no frozen corn in my freezer!)
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 (19 oz) can chickpeas, rinced and drained
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
4 teaspoons cornmeal
cooking spray
1/4 cup fat free sour cream
1/4 cup bottled salsa
Thyme sprigs (optional)

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn, onion, and minced thyme. Saute 2 minutes. Place onion mixture, chickpeas, breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons cornmeal, salt and red pepper in a food processor. Pulse 8 times or until combined and chunky.

Divide chickpea mixture into 8 equal portions (I used a 1/4 cup measure and it worked out perfectly!), shaping each into 1/2 inch thick patty; dredge in cornmeal. Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add 4 patties; cook 5 minutes. Carefully turn patties over; cook 4 minutes or until golden. Repeat procedure with 1/2 teaspoon oil and remaining patties. Serve with fat-free sour cream and salsa. Garnish with thyme sprigs if desired. Yield: 4 servings (2 patties equals 1 serving), 1 tablespoon sour cream, and 1 tablespoon salsa.

261 calories, 5.7 grams fat, 6.1 grams fiber
WW points: 5

1. shellyfish January 19, 2009 at 8:53 am - Reply

Oh these sound so good! I love stuff like this – and totally vegan, just need to sub non-dairy sour cream! Love it! Send me over a few?

2. Aparna January 19, 2009 at 11:28 am - Reply

Delicious! Now this is my kind of food. 😀

3. Cristine January 19, 2009 at 1:41 pm - Reply

Sounds delicious!!! Great photos, too!

4. Robin Sue January 19, 2009 at 1:58 pm - Reply

This looks so good to me! I love patties/cakes like this and can be a meal in itself or a wonderful side to a big meal. I will book mark this to make soon. Thanks for pointing out these great Cooking Light recipes!

5. Carrie January 19, 2009 at 3:06 pm - Reply

These look amazing! I’m definitely saving this for future use…

6. Jessie January 19, 2009 at 3:26 pm - Reply

You’re making my mouth water! (And you know what a carnivore I am.) Yum!

+Jessie
    a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse

7. Priscilla January 19, 2009 at 4:03 pm - Reply

MM, YUm! I love chickpeas in hummus but I have never tried them in anything else…I should though!

8. Meg January 19, 2009 at 4:23 pm - Reply

I will definitely be trying these! They look amazing!

9. Bob January 19, 2009 at 4:31 pm - Reply

I’d try them, they look great. 🙂

10. Pam January 19, 2009 at 4:39 pm - Reply

I think they sound really tasty – the look pretty too. At least Grumpy tried it.

11. noble pig January 19, 2009 at 4:49 pm - Reply

Now this is a vegetarian meal I would love! Very nice and the sauce really makes them look appetizing.

12. CookiePie January 19, 2009 at 4:55 pm - Reply

Oh wow – those sound delicious!! I just described them to Mark and he asked when we’re having them – I’m definitely going to try them!

13. Stephanie January 19, 2009 at 4:59 pm - Reply

I think it’s fun to cook and eat vegetarian foods. Those patties look really good!

14. Bellini Valli January 19, 2009 at 5:04 pm - Reply

My dad was a vegetarian so we grew up having a variety just like you serve Grumpy.I would love these too!!

15. 5 Star Foodie January 19, 2009 at 5:08 pm - Reply

Those cakes look great – I’ve never seen this combination and definitely have to try!

16. Reeni♥ January 19, 2009 at 5:25 pm - Reply

I know I would really, really like these. I’m a fan of all things chickpeas, yum!!

17. The Food Site January 19, 2009 at 6:09 pm - Reply

I’ve been making chicken patties, salmon patties, pork patties and looking at this, ahhhh…it is refreshing. May try this one day.
    ~Foong~

18. Michelle Cato January 19, 2009 at 6:27 pm - Reply

These look awesome for my daughters lunches!! Great idea! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

19. Linda January 19, 2009 at 6:57 pm - Reply

These sound great and I sent the recipe off to my vegetarian SIL. She will love these! Somuch better for her too that those Boca Burgers she eats!!

20. Debbie January 19, 2009 at 7:13 pm - Reply

These look very good. Never thought of these type of patties before.

21. Lisa January 19, 2009 at 7:31 pm - Reply

These really look wonderful. I bet the leftovers are great too.

22. J.Danger January 19, 2009 at 8:19 pm - Reply

I think that my husband would love these!

23. pigpigscorner January 19, 2009 at 8:21 pm - Reply

ooo delicious! Love the colours.

24. Elle January 19, 2009 at 8:34 pm - Reply

I love chickpeas and corn, so why not together? They look amazing!

25. HoneyB January 19, 2009 at 9:16 pm - Reply

Thanks for the comments everyone! I have to say these were BETTER today. I made them Saturday night. I think the patties had more flavor after sitting in my fridge a day and half! I also ended up leaving the sour cream off today and used more salsa. If your inclined to like this type of food, you will definitely like this patty so I encourage you to try it!

26. emily January 19, 2009 at 10:23 pm - Reply

Those patties look wonderful! Grumpy’s loss is your gain for sure! I love anything that comes in an individual serving. Yum.

Best,
    Emily

27. Katie January 19, 2009 at 10:33 pm - Reply

These look great and everyone needs to go meatless every once and a while my husband doesn’t agree but I do it anyway!

28. Katypi January 19, 2009 at 10:37 pm - Reply

Now I just LOVE corn and chickpeas. I’d be willing to bet I’d really enjoy these. I’m going to put this on my to-do list. What else did you make to go along with these or are they intended to be a meal by themselves?

29. HoneyB January 19, 2009 at 10:42 pm - Reply

Emily- you bet his loss is my gain (sometimes in more ways than I want 😉 hehe).

Katie – I don’t always listen to Grumpy either…he’s kinda gotten used to that though! If I started doing everything his way he would wonder what was wrong with me! Variety is the spice of life for sure!

Katypi, I didn’t make anything else to go with them. It was a lazy night, Grumpy wasn’t really hungry, and all I wanted was those patties! LOL You can make them a meal on their own served with a veggie or as a side to a meat dish, maybe a spicy meat dish…Yum!

30. Kiran January 19, 2009 at 10:49 pm - Reply

This looks like a great recipe will have to give it a go 🙂

31. Clumbsy Cookie January 19, 2009 at 11:41 pm - Reply

I just love how crunchy that looks!

32. pinkstripes January 20, 2009 at 1:11 am - Reply

Ooh…those look really good. I love the color.

33. Tangled Noodle January 20, 2009 at 2:41 am - Reply

These look so good but I can only admire from a distance – I have a reaction to chickpeas. Any possible substitute for it you can suggest b/c I’d love to try it!

34. Bunny January 20, 2009 at 4:01 am - Reply

I have been down and out with a terrible cold Shelby and missed some of your posts, I have to go back and see what I missed! THese look so good!

35. Laura January 20, 2009 at 4:59 am - Reply

I like vegetarian food just fine but I don’t always have good luck with veggie patties. The cornmeal in these makes me think I should try these. 🙂

A vegetarian boarding school? Wild!

36. recipes2share January 20, 2009 at 2:39 pm - Reply

These look so good & remind me of falafel which I haven't made for so long, but love to eat at Chez Marianne in Paris.

37. lisaiscooking January 20, 2009 at 11:57 pm - Reply

These sound fantastic. I’ve made something similar with black beans before. And, I get vegetarian cravings too!

38. ranji January 21, 2009 at 1:10 pm - Reply

WOW!!what a delish…love love love this…corn and chickpeas combo is simply wonderful…i am going to make this..thanks for the recipe!!! 🙂

39. TBC January 22, 2009 at 3:29 am - Reply

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It helped me discover your wonderful space!
    Patties are a favorite in my home. I make a spiced up Indian version of these.:)

40. […] Chickpea and Corn Patties […]