Sesame Cardamom Chews are a deliciously spiced cookie rolled in toasted nutty sesame seeds with a buttery creamy frosting.
Before I sat down this evening I spent a few hours in the kitchen. I had no plans to cook dinner because I was warming up meatloaf and mashed potatoes leftover from last evening. Since I didn't have to cook dinner, I decided it was time to try one of my earmarked recipes in one of my holiday magazines.
I first toasted brown sesame seeds for the recipe. Then I mixed the recipe up, rolled the dough in the seeds and baked. I have to admit, that cookie dough was divine and when I "accidently" dropped a piece of dough in the seeds, I had to try it and it was even more divine! I could not wait to try one after they were baked. These would probably be great without the frosting but because the frosting also called for cardamon I had to make it! Be forewarned. They are sweet. You won't want more than one....unless you don't frost them! :~)
- Sesame Cardamom Chews
- Land O' Lakes Holiday Cookies 2008
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1-¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup toasted sesame seeds (**see note)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3-4 Tablespoons half and half
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine butter, sugar and brown sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until creamy. Add egg and almond extract; continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; add flour, baking powder, cardamom and salt. Beat until well mixed.
- Place sesame seeds in small bowl. Shape dough into 1- inch balls. Roll balls in sesame seed. Place 1" apart onto parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake 9-12 minutes or until golden brown (mine took 11 minutes to cook). Cool 1 minute. Remove to cooling rack. Cool completely.
- To make frosting: combine all frosting ingredients in medium bowl; adding enough half & half (I only needed 3 tablespoons) for desired spreading consistency. Beat until well mixed. Frost cooled cookies, let stand until set.
SESAME CARDAMOM CHEWS - PIN IT!