This week for Tuesdays with Dorie we were given the opportunity to do a rewind recipe instead of the one that was chosen by Mari of Mevrouw Cupcake. She chose Creme Brulee on page 393. Because I don’t have a blowtorch and because I had so many other things going on I decided to do the rewind and create the Pecan Sour Cream Biscuits. To see what other TWDers did, check out our blogroll.

Now, let me tell you I have never been able to make a biscuit as good as my mom or my Aunt Marlene. I don’t know why I can’t seem to get them so puffy and soft and tender. I really don’t think I overwork the dough. But, that is what I have been told will make your biscuit not turn out so well. I’m not one to totally give up, and since this was a simple enough looking recipe and I didn’t have a lot of time, I decided to go ahead and make the biscuits.

Pecan Sour Cream Biscuits
Page 25

2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
5 Tbsp. cold unsalted butter, cut into 10 pieces
1/2 cup sour cream (I used light sour cream)
1/4 cup cold whole milk (I used 1% since that is what I had)
1/3 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Whisk flour(s), baking powder, salt and baking soda together in a bowl. Stir in brown sugar, making certain there are no lumps. Drop in the butter and using fingers or pastry blender, quickly work dry ingredients until mixture is pebbly. You should have pea-size pieces, pieces the size of oatmeal flakes and pieces he size of everything in between!

Stir the sour cream and mil together and pour over the dry ingredients. Using a fork, stir gently until you have a nice soft dough. Reach into the bowl and give the dough a quick gentle kneading – 3 or 4 turns should be enough. Toss in the pecans and knead another 2 -3 times to incorporate them.

Turn dough onto lightly floured counter and dust the top with flour. Roll dough out until it is about 1/2 inch high. Using biscuit cutter, cut as many biscuits as you can from the dough. Gather scraps, pat together and repeat. Bake for 14 -18 minutes or until they are tall, puffed and golden.

These were an awesome choice and were delicious when warm from the oven

***********************************************************************************
SO, someone got a new vehicle. But, it wasn’t Grumpy. Not yet. My son Justin told me today that he bought a new Ford Escape. He’s coming to pick me up at work tomorrow over lunch break and I get to be the 2nd person to ride in his new vehicle with him! Lucky mom! To get to spend noon hour with her son that is….

1. Prudy September 30, 2008 at 11:09 am - Reply

You know, I’ve had my eyes on these biscuits for a long time now. I think I’ll have to crack and make some for dinner. They look wonderful!

2. Lori September 30, 2008 at 11:43 am - Reply

we rewound to the same recipe!! these really are wonderful biscuits, especially straight out of the oven.

3. Pamela September 30, 2008 at 11:55 am - Reply

These biscuits sound delicious! There are so many recipes that I haven’t done yet, I just don’t know where to begin. Great picture with the butter on the biscuit. I love how you can see the knife marks in there. Oh, and Congrats to your son on his new car!

4. Rigby September 30, 2008 at 12:00 pm - Reply

I looked at the biscuit recipe, and almost made those….yours look delicious!

5. Jamie September 30, 2008 at 1:13 pm - Reply

Holy yum, great rewind! I need to make these!

6. Laura September 30, 2008 at 1:16 pm - Reply

MMMMMMMMM, MMMMMMM, MMMMM I love me some biscuits! Yours look wonderful – that butter all melty on top. I’m hungry now 🙂

7. Jess September 30, 2008 at 1:25 pm - Reply

Those look fantastic – I might have to try those for Thanksgiving!

8. Sara September 30, 2008 at 1:38 pm - Reply

Your biscuits look amazing – I have this book but I haven’t tried any of the biscuits yet.

9. Anne September 30, 2008 at 1:56 pm - Reply

Happy birthday! The biscuits look perfect and that cake looks just amazing!

10. Jo September 30, 2008 at 3:09 pm - Reply

wow the cookies look really good. good thing i can try these out as i’ve just bought dorie’s book.

11. Maria September 30, 2008 at 3:33 pm - Reply

Glad you did a rewind. I want to make these now! They look really good!

12. Mevrouw Cupcake September 30, 2008 at 3:40 pm - Reply

This was the first TWD recipe I made and I loved this recipe!!

13. Andrea September 30, 2008 at 3:48 pm - Reply

I’ve been wanting to try these biscuits for a long as well! They look so delicious, great job! How sweet to spend lunch with your son and to see his new car 🙂 I’m excited about your MKMW Ecuador pick, I’m really learning a lot about a cuisine I knew nothing about!

14. Engineer Baker September 30, 2008 at 4:12 pm - Reply

I always want to be able to make light, fluffy, flaky biscuits and never can. But the flavor of these makes up for it, doesn’t it?

15. Flourchild September 30, 2008 at 5:02 pm - Reply

I think your biscuits look tasty! I want to make these too! I ended up making the snicker bars.

Happy Bday again and enjoy your son having his new car. My girls drive themselves everywhere now days and I LOVE it!!

16. anudivya September 30, 2008 at 5:14 pm - Reply

Wow, this looks awesome. First time here on your lovely blog.
    I tend to have problems with overworking the dough as well… but learning!

17. CB September 30, 2008 at 5:35 pm - Reply

I just got a flashback! This was my first TWD recipe. It was darn tasty if I remember correctly. Bummer it wasn’t up to your Aunt Marlene’s but definitely don’t give up!
    Clara @ iheartfood4thought

18. n.o.e September 30, 2008 at 9:04 pm - Reply

Wow, does that biscuit look tasty with the melty butter. This will go on my list for a future rewind. Great job!
    Nancy

19. Debbie September 30, 2008 at 9:38 pm - Reply

oooh, they look good…all the melty butter. mmmm.

20. kittymama October 1, 2008 at 12:56 am - Reply

I did the same rewind! I loved these biscuits. Yours look great.

21. Pam October 1, 2008 at 3:55 am - Reply

These look really good – especially with melted butter. You can’t beat a warm biscuit!

22. Lisa October 1, 2008 at 4:35 am - Reply

These look great! And happy happy birthday to you!

23. noble pig October 1, 2008 at 5:19 am - Reply

The butter shot is just cruel! Love it.

24. Jacque October 1, 2008 at 12:15 pm - Reply

Mmmm, they look so good with the butter spread on them. Good job, they look fantastic!

25. Megan October 1, 2008 at 3:23 pm - Reply

Life is only gonna get busier then time of year! I might need a biscuit to make it thru. 🙂
    Looks really good.

26. Matt October 3, 2008 at 10:10 pm - Reply

I’m still new to TWD and just found out about the Rewind option. I’ll have to try it some time. These biscuits look great!

I hope you had a great lunch with your son. Mine is a senior in high school, and I’ve been feeling that mix of joy and wistfulness at seeing him become an adult. (No wonder I’ve been craving comfort food lately…)

27. Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats October 4, 2008 at 12:05 am - Reply

I’ll put these on my re-wind to be list. They look lovely and fluffy.