Nanny’s Raised Doughnuts recipe is one found on one of my Grandmother’s recipe cards. It is a yeast doughnut that is light, fluffy, and homey! Glazed with a maple frosting, it brings back memories of eating doughnuts with Nanny as a little girl!

Nanny's Raised DoughnutsLaura, over at The Spiced Life, is holding a Grandma’s Recipes Event. Thank you Laura for doing this!! I thought and thought this one over. Most of my grandmother’s recipes that I have written down in my own home are her cookies. I decided to call my Aunt Ann and asked her to send me some recipes (as she is in possession of all Grandma’s recipes). She sent me a quite a few, but the one I decided to go with was the Raised Doughnuts. Grandma and Grandpa, who after my children were born, became Nanny & Poppy, loved doughnuts. I remember her making doughnuts when I was young, but when I was an adult, I remember them bringing them home from the store more often. I do remember the favorite was a maple glazed doughnut, so I will be recreating that today, along with some other decorated ones!Nanny's Raised DoughnutsWhen I think of Nanny, I think of all the time she and I spent together. I was so lucky to get to have a grandmother who loved to have me around as much as I loved to be near her! I remember getting up early when my dad would take off for work, just to go around the corner with dad and go to Grandmas in the morning. I would go back upstairs and curl up and cuddle with Gram for another hour or two and then we would get up and she would make me breakfast.

Nanny always gave us what we wanted, and I usually wanted a egg fried in real butter and toast. Go figure. I can’t eat eggs now to save my life, but back then I loved them! I remember many times being at Gram’s house when she was baking her pies or cookies. There was always something sweet at her house and we always knew where to look to find those sweets. ;o)

Nanny's Raised Doughnuts
Now, the recipe that my aunt scanned and emailed me for Gram’s raised doughnuts is pretty sketchy. Fortunately, I grew up around her and mom both making these…..and I basically “knew” what to do.

Nanny's Raised Doughnuts

Nanny's Raised DoughnutsI decided to coat the doughnut holes with cinnamon sugar. Once they are removed from the oil and have sat a couple of minutes, put them in a paper bag with cinnamon sugar mixture and shake to coat. I made two types of frosting, one was maple because it was one of Gram’s favorite flavors and I made an almond glaze because its one of my favorite flavors!

Nanny's Raised Doughnuts

Nanny’s Raised Doughnuts
Author: Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Ingredients
  • Raised Doughnuts
  • Mae Iris Whitton (my lovely Grandmother!)
  • 1 packet yeast
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1-1/4 cups milk
  • 4-1/2 cups flour
  • 3 Tbsp. shortening (I used canola oil)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 tsp mace (she had written you could use nutmeg or cinnamon in place, I went with cinnamon)
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
Instructions
  1. Now, her directions are spotchy, but I want to put it here as she put it. You might get a good chuckle over it!
  2. Dissolve yeast, 1 tbsp. sugar in milk. After it cools add 1/2 cups lour, beat well, let raise 1 hr in warm place.
  3. Well, if your don’t know how to bake, your not going to have a clue how to make these and do it right! This is what I did:
  4. I scalded the milk and let cool to just lukewarm. Mix in the packet of yeast and 1 tbsp of sugar. Let sit 5 minutes. Add remaining sugar, oil and egg and mix well. Gradually add flour (and I did only use 4 -1/2 cups!). Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead gently until uniform. Let sit and rise for 1 hour.
  5. After doughnuts rise, roll out to 1/2″ thick, cut with doughnut cutter and set aside. Heat oil to temp of 350 degrees. Drop doughnuts into oil. They will sink to the bottom. When they rise to the top, immediately turn over to prevent cracking. Cook doughnuts until browned and drain on a plate covered with a paper towel to absorb and residual grease.
  6. To make the maple frosting, I took a tablespoon of butter and melted it in the microwave. For the maple frosting I added about 2 tbsp maple syrup, 1/2 tsp mapleine, confectioner’s sugar and enough milk to thin enough to glaze consistency. I then dipped the tops in the frosting and sat upright on towel lined plates to set.
  7. For the Almond flavored glaze I basically did the same thing except I only used 1 Tbsp butter, confectioner’s sugar, 1 tsp. almond extract and milk. I don’t have measurements for the confectioner’s sugar or milk. I usually just dump in enough sugar and milk until it comes to the consistency I want for glazing or frosting.
PIN IT

Nanny's Raised Doughnuts

1. JMom April 11, 2009 at 1:25 pm - Reply

I was just thinking of getting some KrispyKremes for the girls’ weekend breakfast treat but now I’m thinking making our own will be more fun. Thanks for sharing the recipe. These look totally scrumptious!

2. Katy April 11, 2009 at 1:26 pm - Reply

I have been wanting donuts now for the past few days and here you go and blog some real beauties! I’ll take a dozen, please!

Love your Grandmother’s recipe directions. Family food memories are just the best, and so nice to be able to recreate and remember our times with them.

3. Barbara Bakes April 11, 2009 at 1:27 pm - Reply

I love all the different versions you made. It would be the perfect way to start my morning! What great memories you have of your grandma!

4. Donna-FFW April 11, 2009 at 1:28 pm - Reply

These look fantastic. I have got to try them.. my coffee Im drinking right this second wants these, WANTS!! And not just one!!

5. PUTUT AGUS April 11, 2009 at 1:45 pm - Reply

hi…
    a very good blog, I like it. visit my blog and we can be friends …
    even though our language is different but I like to make friendship with you

6. The Hungry Mouse April 11, 2009 at 1:51 pm - Reply

Whoa, these look great!! 😀

+Jessie

7. shellyfish April 11, 2009 at 2:07 pm - Reply

How sweet – love the grandma memories, and the donuts look yummers!

8. recipes2share April 11, 2009 at 2:12 pm - Reply

Shelby these are fantastic!

9. Megan April 11, 2009 at 2:16 pm - Reply

They look very tasty. I wish I had one. Stumbled too!

10. Jessie April 11, 2009 at 2:37 pm - Reply

homemade donuts beat dunkin’ donuts, krispy kreme any day!

I love the frosting and decorations as well 🙂

11. Maryann April 11, 2009 at 2:37 pm - Reply

Our grandma’s recipes are precious 🙂
    You did a wonderful job on the donuts!

12. Laura April 11, 2009 at 2:38 pm - Reply

It’s a sign! It’s a sign! OK I know what I am putting in my new deep dry pot!

Thanks for the submission, these look great! 🙂

13. Bob April 11, 2009 at 2:43 pm - Reply

Oh. Wow. Homemade donuts are the best! Those look wicked good.

14. Snooky doodle April 11, 2009 at 2:47 pm - Reply

These look delicious! It s nice to have a grandma like this I also enjoyed my chldhood with dranma and grandpa and I also wanted the fried egg in the morning made by my grandpa only 🙂

15. Josie April 11, 2009 at 3:03 pm - Reply

These look so delicious… I could use a plate of cinnamon sugar doughnut holes for breakfast 🙂

16. Creative One April 11, 2009 at 3:16 pm - Reply

Love the doughnuts. Such wonderful memories that you have of your grandmother.

17. Susie April 11, 2009 at 3:23 pm - Reply

YUM!!!! I’ve never made doughnuts, but those look awesome!

18. Dawn April 11, 2009 at 3:27 pm - Reply

Wow! Now these are the perfect homemade donut. I wish I could have just one right now.

19. Linda April 11, 2009 at 4:06 pm - Reply

Oh I could take a bit out of these right now. Hope all is well and that you have a Happy Easter.

20. aerobroken April 11, 2009 at 4:09 pm - Reply

These all look yummy, My grandma used to make me the raised donuts and I still make them for my self and my boys from time to time.

21. teresa April 11, 2009 at 5:03 pm - Reply

You just can’t beat homemade donuts! These look wonderful!

22. cindy April 11, 2009 at 5:22 pm - Reply

Wow, I can almost taste them! Beautiful.

23. Meg April 11, 2009 at 5:57 pm - Reply

Grandmas, doughnuts, and memories….it doesn’t get any sweeter!

24. Elyse April 11, 2009 at 6:22 pm - Reply

What a beautiful post! Your Nanny sounds wonderful. I call my grandma Nanny, too! I’m so glad these doughnuts could bring back such wonderful memories for you. I’ve never actually tried to make doughnuts, but I think I’m going to try your recipe. They sound so delicious!! Yay for your Nanny and her wonderful recipes.

25. Patsyk April 11, 2009 at 7:02 pm - Reply

What a wonderful post! I have never made doughnuts at home, but may have to try it now.

26. Lynda April 11, 2009 at 7:17 pm - Reply

What beautiful looking donuts!
    Granma’s cooking always brings back good memories and yummy things to eat!

27. Reeni♥ April 11, 2009 at 8:00 pm - Reply

These look delicious! Such sweet memories. I would love to try these.

28. Ingrid April 12, 2009 at 3:50 am - Reply

Mmmmm, ALL of those donuts look scrumdilliumptious!!! 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

Happy Easter HoneyB & Grumpy!
    ~ingrid

29. Bobby April 12, 2009 at 12:54 pm - Reply

These looks like perfection! I have always wanted to make doughnuts but was not really sure how until now.

HAPPY EASTER!!

30. noble pig April 12, 2009 at 3:17 pm - Reply

These look amazing! I wish I had a granny recipe to share.

31. alice April 12, 2009 at 3:30 pm - Reply

These look freakin awesome. I love donuts. Can’t wait to make them at my house. Please thank your nanny!

32. Lynne April 12, 2009 at 6:03 pm - Reply

Those look positively wonderful – I can’t remember the last time I had a homemade donut!

33. Robin Sue April 12, 2009 at 6:32 pm - Reply

Homemade donuts are the way to go. I love your Nanny’s name , Mae, it was my grandmother’s middle name!

34. nutritiontokitchen April 12, 2009 at 7:04 pm - Reply

Those iced donuts look so cute and professional! YUM!

35. Amanda April 12, 2009 at 7:44 pm - Reply

Oh these look wonderful! Now you’ve gone and made me crave cinnamon sugared doughnuts. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

36. Jenn April 13, 2009 at 12:53 am - Reply

Those donuts look delish. Thank you for sharing this with us.

37. Bellini Valli April 13, 2009 at 1:30 am - Reply

These are a real tribute to your Nanny. I would especially love the doughnut holes rolled in cinnamon & sugar. They remind me of Tim Bits.

38. Tangled Noodle April 13, 2009 at 12:27 pm - Reply

Thank you so much for sharing your Nanny’s recipe! They look absolutely delicious and no doubt taste even better. Isn’t it amazing how store-bought doughnuts have an ingredients list as long as your arm but here, it’s simply 8 very common and pronounceable things? I am soooo bookmarking this!

39. Jen April 13, 2009 at 1:48 pm - Reply

Wish I had one of these donuts to nibble with my morning latte! Love the photos 🙂

40. Debbie April 13, 2009 at 5:42 pm - Reply

I have never made donuts, but I love them. I remember my mom making them… I might have to be brave and try them sometime. Your’s do look good. And, yes, I love the old “handwritten” recipes our grandmas had–in shoeboxes too.

41. Alta April 13, 2009 at 5:45 pm - Reply

I need to find an excuse to make these! I’m not the biggest donut fan, but the donut holes, with cinnamon and sugar, sold me! Yummy!

42. Pam April 13, 2009 at 7:45 pm - Reply

They look so cute and tasty. I love donuts but have never tried to make them myself.

43. Cakelaw April 13, 2009 at 10:35 pm - Reply

What delicious looking doughnuts! My faves are the glazed ones – the icing looks so pretty.

44. haleysuzanne April 13, 2009 at 11:11 pm - Reply

These are both beautiful and delicious looking! I loved the background about breakfasts at your Grandma’s. Those are some of the best memories. And, now I have a great doughnut recipe to try at last! Thanks for sharing.

45. Lo April 14, 2009 at 5:44 pm - Reply

I haven’t had a homemade raised donut in years. These look fabulous! And they have me thinking that I need to go and find my mom’s recipe!

46. Gabi @Mamaliga April 22, 2009 at 7:01 pm - Reply

Lovely!!!

Good luck with the entry!!!

Gbai @ Mamaliga