Maple Scones with Maple Glaze are one of the best scones I have ever made. These scones are not dry, but moist and tender and they stay that way. The maple glaze drizzled over top adds the finishing touch that you don’t want to skip!
Maple Scones with Maple Glaze

Just when I think I know him, Grumpy surprises me.  Like with these scones.  Grumpy won’t eat biscuits.  Well, Grumpy prefers to not eat biscuits. So, since these scones are like biscuits I didn’t expect him to really like them.  I made the scones, kept one for me, left one at home for Grumpy and took the rest to work to give to a friend who was having a birthday.

Later that evening when I was home I asked Grumpy if he liked his scone.  He said yes, it was good.  Hmmm.  What was up with that I thought?  I decided to take his word for it and make them again on Saturday morning but halved the recipe since I didn’t want 8 scones here in the house and just two of us eating.  I didn’t see him eat his first scone, but Sunday morning, when he sat down with his coffee, he had a plate with a scone on it to go with his coffee!  Hmm, must be he wasn’t just placating me!  LOL.

Scones are something that has been on my list of new things for me to try for a while now.  Since my tortillas last week I have been more intent on making things I had on that list!  These scones were very simple to make.  To find what I wanted – I went googling for photos of scones.  I wanted to make one that would be yummy and pretty.  I came across the photo on Baking and Books – she had adapted her recipe from Epicurious.com.  I made a few changes – such as subbing 1 cup of white whole wheat, used the heavy cream, used my food processor to mix, brushed the scones with heavy cream and sprinkled with large sugar crystals prior to baking.  I went with heavy cream because I read earlier in my research about how to make scones that heavy cream made the dough more moist and it didn’t dry out as quickly.  That is very true!  I had a scone the day after I made them and it was very moist.  Not dry at all!

Maple Scones with Maple Glaze

Delicious tender maple flavored scones drizzled with a maple glaze

Course Breakfast & Brunch

• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1-1/2 sticks chilled unsalted butter cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Put flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in food processor. Pulse 8-9 times to combine. Remove lid and drop in 1-1/2 sticks butter pieces. Pulse until dough starts to form a crumb-like texture. Drizzle in heavy cream and maple syrup all the while continue to periodically pulse the processor.
  3. Remove dough from processor. Knead gently about 5 times. Pat into 8" round.cut dough into 8 wedges. Transfer wedges to baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart. Brush with some heavy cream and sprinkle with large sugar crystals. Bake 20 minutes.
  4. Mix heavy cream and maple syrup together to make a glaze. Drizzle tops of scones with glaze.
  5. Store in airtight container.
Nutrition Facts
Maple Scones with Maple Glaze
Amount Per Serving (1 scone)
Calories 431 Calories from Fat 207
% Daily Value*
Fat 23g35%
Saturated Fat 14g88%
Polyunsaturated Fat 8g
Cholesterol 62mg21%
Sodium 313mg14%
Carbohydrates 52g17%
Fiber 2g8%
Sugar 15g17%
Protein 6g12%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

1. Ingrid May 23, 2010 at 9:19 pm - Reply

I've actually made the dough for scones and then froze it for another occasion and promptly forgot about it. I need to give them another go. Yours look great and if Grumpy liked 'em well then we know they are GOOD!
    ~ingrid

2. Peter M May 23, 2010 at 10:00 pm - Reply

The scones looks delish but I'm amazed at how smitten you are for your hubby and I'm sure he returns the love.

Poster couple you two are!

3. pegasuslegend May 23, 2010 at 10:10 pm - Reply

wow these look better than anything I've ever bought…will have to try them!!!! and I love scones…..stumbled them big time 🙂

4. Flourchild May 23, 2010 at 10:49 pm - Reply

I love scones. These look very good. I make a really good pumpkin scone and blueberry scone. I love to sprinkle he large crystal sugar on top!
    How cool Grumpy loved them!

5. Cristine May 23, 2010 at 11:11 pm - Reply

Your scones look perfect!

6. bellini valli May 23, 2010 at 11:39 pm - Reply

These have been Grumpy approved so that is good enough for me, and they have maple syrup in them too:D

7. Kait May 24, 2010 at 1:14 am - Reply

The maple glaze looks delicious. Good call on using heavy cream to keep the scones moist.

8. Mags May 24, 2010 at 1:26 am - Reply

I'm a Grumpy when it comes to biscuits and scones. I don't like "dry" therefore I thought I didn't like scones. Your recipe has tempted me to try them to see if I can indeed be converted, or if I am to remain scone-free for the rest of my life….lol

Here's a toast to heavy cream! (How could anything not be delicious with it included.)

9. Suzanne aka vivisue May 24, 2010 at 12:40 pm - Reply

Those look wonderful! Love the maple glaze. The dryness of so many has always kept me from being a fan. Will have to give them a try with the heavy cream! Great post!!

10. Jessie May 24, 2010 at 1:25 pm - Reply

look at these luscious scones, I too am a fan of scones that are moist and soft. I do not like it when the scones are dry. I was surprised to see that Grumpy gobbled these up since you mentioned he's not a fan of biscuits. This scones definitely changed his mind hehehe

11. pigpigscorner May 24, 2010 at 4:49 pm - Reply

My hub's taste ever so often, I just cook whatever I like and let him try.

12. Maria May 24, 2010 at 5:04 pm - Reply

Will be making these soon. I love a good scone and these look perfect!

13. teresa May 24, 2010 at 5:24 pm - Reply

ooooh, my hubby loves maple too, i should really make these for him.

14. Barbara Bakes May 25, 2010 at 12:15 am - Reply

They always keep us guessing. It looks like a scone I'd love too.

15. Barbara @moderncomfortfood May 25, 2010 at 1:01 am - Reply

I spent years eating, and loving, traditional scones and clotted cream for breakfast and snacks while living in South Africa. And this innovative maple-flavored version looks to be right up my alley. Many thanks for sharing this splendid recipe!

16. Ros May 25, 2010 at 2:01 am - Reply

I made these tonight, but my dough was so soft that I had to knead in more flour. Also, since I just had a print off of the recipe, I didn't know what temperature to bake them at (I decided on 350). They still turned out tasty, but I think I'll have to make another batch after these are gone to see if they come out differently.

17. Cookin' Canuck May 25, 2010 at 3:36 am - Reply

I really like the maple glaze on these! We often make and cut scones, then freeze them before baking. Then we can just take out a few at a time whenever we're craving them.

18. Gera @ SweetsFoodsBlog May 25, 2010 at 4:42 am - Reply

Delicious scones and this glaze on them make more appealing. Yummy idea sent some of them for a birthday 🙂

Cheers,

Gera

19. Grumpy and HoneyB May 25, 2010 at 9:50 am - Reply

It is ok to add more flour – sometimes when we measure flour (in measuring cups) the method we use can give us more or less. I always stir my flour up with a spoon and spoon it into my measuring cup "lightly" and then gently scrape the top off to make it level. I apologize for forgetting to put the baking temp in – it should be baked at 375 degrees. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I'm glad you still enjoyed them. I totally believe they are worth making again!

20. Rachel May 25, 2010 at 11:00 am - Reply

maple..drool drool… Scrumptious.

21. Megan May 26, 2010 at 4:28 pm - Reply

I love a good scone and yours look so pretty. Making only 4 scones is a great idea since I have a small family!

22. […] maybe revolutionary scone. The inspiration and most of the maple scone recipe came from a post on the  Lives and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch. You know it’s a funny blog when Grumpy […]

23. […] Maple Scones are sweetened with only maple sugar and are a delicious moist scone that is perfect for a spring brunch. […]