BPS1HB

Last Saturday I spent the day with my DIL Kristina. We were doing some special shopping for a special event you will hear about in the near future. ๐Ÿ˜‰ One of the subjects of course was food and her Loaded Potato Soup that she. My son has also raved about this soup!

BpotHB

Sunday was a “stay at home, do what I want” kind of day. I got to thinking again about the potato soup that Kristina makes. This soup is as yummy as my son and DIL tells me it is….not that I doubted them one bit!

Family Recipes Logo

I’m very happy that I have a daughter-in-law who likes to cook/bake and that I can share recipes with. I’m also very proud to be submitting Kristina’s recipe to our Family Recipes Event being hosted by Laura of The Spiced Life this month.

oct 11HB

Kristina’s Loaded Potato Soup
(Kristina can feel free to comment what she does as I am only typing this from memory of what I did)

4 slices bacon, cooked til crisp reserving 1 Tbsp fat
1 small onion, diced
2 large garlic cloves (adjust to your taste-I love garlic!), minced
6 large potatoes, peeled and diced
4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon basil
salt & pepper to taste
green onion, sliced thinly (I didn’t have green onion so for some green color I used some fresh parsley)
shredded cheese (I used Colby)
2 cups half and half
1 teaspoon hot sauce
3 Tablespoons flour

In large saucepan saute onion and garlic in reserved bacon fat. Add potatoes, chicken broth and basil to pan and simmer until potatoes are tender. Using potato masher, slightly mash potatoes.

Mix flour with half and half and hot sauce, then stir into potato mixture. Cook until slightly thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve soup topped with crumbled bacon pieces, shredded cheese and green onion.

1. Anonymous October 14, 2009 at 12:48 pm - Reply

Hi! Just wanted to let you know, your picture looks yummy! However, you forgot to list 1 tsp of hot sauce and a clove of garlic minced to the recipe. You add the garlic in with the onion to cook and put the hot sauce in when you start adding the half and half.

I hope you enjoyed it!

~ Kristina

2. HoneyB October 14, 2009 at 12:53 pm - Reply

I knew you would let me know! I lost my paper that I wrote this down on so I was going by memory (which isn't too good lately!). Thanks Kristina. I'm going to edit the recipe on the blog to reflect it!

Shelby

3. Barbara Bakes October 14, 2009 at 1:15 pm - Reply

I love potato soup, especially with bacon and cheese! I'll have to give this a try!

4. Donna October 14, 2009 at 1:15 pm - Reply

This looks yummy! Think I will have to try this one!

5. Gera @ SweetsFoods October 14, 2009 at 1:38 pm - Reply

Comfort food for the soul the potato soup with 3 or 4 garlic cloves (I'm a garlic fan) and lot of cheese is superb ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers!

Gera

6. Meg October 14, 2009 at 1:55 pm - Reply

Amazing pics and such a delicious recipe!

7. Jessie October 14, 2009 at 2:19 pm - Reply

that looks like pure bliss, I love potatoes and the bacon topping is delish! Great job to Kristina ๐Ÿ™‚

8. gonnawantseconds October 14, 2009 at 2:22 pm - Reply

Oh this looks wonderful! I'm readying it at breakfast time wondering if I can make it in time for lunch! Kathleen

9. the ungourmet October 14, 2009 at 4:48 pm - Reply

It's so pretty! I love the bacon and cheese on top and the photos are amazing! ๐Ÿ˜€

10. Helene October 15, 2009 at 12:16 am - Reply

Another great recipe today. I would love to taste it.

11. Katy ~ October 15, 2009 at 12:50 am - Reply

Beautiful photograph! With the beautiful bright colors of the garnishes, this soup looks suave and sophisticated.

12. Coleen's Recipes October 15, 2009 at 1:40 am - Reply

WOW, that first photo is magazine quality!! Just beautiful.

13. Ingrid October 15, 2009 at 2:51 am - Reply

Yum, that looks like wonderful!
    ~ingrid

14. teresa October 15, 2009 at 1:21 pm - Reply

oh this looks so good and your picture is gorgeous! this is so perfect for fall!

15. CookiePie October 15, 2009 at 7:03 pm - Reply

Ooooh – that looks soooooo delicious and satisfying!

16. Bugaboo October 15, 2009 at 10:00 pm - Reply

This is somewhat similar to the recipe I use that I got from Le Petit Pierogi (which came she adapted from allrecipes.com). Very good. Your pictures are so much better than mine — looks delish!

17. Pam October 15, 2009 at 10:17 pm - Reply

It looks wonderful! Potato soup is my very favorite. Excellent photos.

18. Jamie October 16, 2009 at 1:50 am - Reply

Shelby,
    Believe it or not I've never had potato soup. But this looks wonderful and what a great recipe your DIL, Kristina shared. I'll be waiting to hear about this "special shopping" trip you both took!

19. Mags October 16, 2009 at 3:34 am - Reply

Potato soup is one of those foods that I turn to frequently for comfort. This looks like a great recipe.

20. Hillary October 16, 2009 at 10:47 pm - Reply

So hearty and comforting for fall!!

21. Amanda October 16, 2009 at 10:50 pm - Reply

O that looks so good and I LOVE that cup! So cute!

Question – what kind of potatoes? Russetts, the more floury kind or boiling potatoes, more like red or yukon? Would love to try this ๐Ÿ™‚ Must be soup season! I just posted about a delish corn chowder ๐Ÿ™‚

22. Kevin October 17, 2009 at 5:53 pm - Reply

A baked potato in soup form is a great idea!

23. Anonymous October 18, 2009 at 8:45 pm - Reply

My husband made me potato soup using your recipe. It was AMAZING. Thank you for sharing your recipe.

24. Rosabela October 19, 2009 at 6:25 am - Reply

This sounds devine!

That's great that you get along well with your DIL and share recipes with. ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm lucky too that have a wonderful MIL who shares with me some of her cooking secrets.

25. RecipeGirl October 19, 2009 at 12:53 pm - Reply

This looks super decadent & delicious. Something I would never make at home, but it always looks good at restaurants!!

26. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen October 19, 2009 at 2:51 pm - Reply

This soup looks awesome! I really love it! I think it is the awesome photography that makes it so tasty looking too!

27. Linda October 22, 2009 at 3:41 am - Reply

I have 10 lbs of potatoes waiting for this. ๐Ÿ˜‰

28. Tangled Noodle October 25, 2009 at 2:36 am - Reply

How I wish I had a spoonful (or two) of this incredibly creamy soup! It would hit the spot on these increasingly cold days.

29. […] Loaded Potato Soup is a delicious and comforting recipe for cold nights! […]

30. Anonymous November 3, 2019 at 2:17 pm - Reply