When it is cold outside I don’t want to leave my house, and it was cold out there today! So, I stayed in, did some laundry, surfed the internet, looked over magazines and aggravated Grumpy. Well, I had to do something to liven my day! ;o) He wouldn’t know what to do with himself if I weren’t around here to aggravate him anyway, so I’m kind of obligated to do it. You know?!

I knew I could probably get away without making something else to go with our dinner if I was making what we call Lentil Stew. Grumpy likes it and he doesn’t complain that it is vegetarian. However, he did mention tonight he thought ham would be good in it. I’m turning a deaf ear to that though. I like my lentil stew just the way I make it. Meatless. Totally meatless.

HoneyB’s Lentil Stew

1 medium carrot, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 bay leaf

Saute the above ingredients until softened. Then add:

2 cups uncooked lentils
4 cups water
4 cups vegetable broth (made with better than boullion vegetable base)
1-14.5 can diced tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste

Simmer until lentils are cooked, approximately 1 hour. If you wish, you can add more water to thin this out into more soup like consistency. We like to eat it a little thicker.

1. Barbara Bakes January 11, 2009 at 6:28 am - Reply

I don’t think I’ve ever had lentils. I’ve always been sort of a baby about trying new things until lately!

2. Amira January 11, 2009 at 6:47 am - Reply

oooh yummy i love lentils, looks fantstic!

3. shellyfish January 11, 2009 at 8:45 am - Reply

I just love lentil soups & stews! They are so easy, and nutritious – and perfect for this freezing weather!

4. tamilyn January 11, 2009 at 9:24 am - Reply

Maybe he should have made the soup if he wanted ham in it! Cook’s decisions rule 🙂

5. Cristine January 11, 2009 at 9:52 am - Reply

Looks and sounds yummy! Stay warm and have fun bugging Grumpy! 🙂

6. Annie January 11, 2009 at 11:17 am - Reply

Yum! Perfect winter food – too bad it is summer here! I love finding different recipes for lentil soup, this is really different from the one I grew up with but looks delicious and really easy too!

7. recipes2share January 11, 2009 at 1:18 pm - Reply

This looks great – it is so cold here & Paris just isn't set up for this weather – even my washing machine has frozen shut in the garage!!

8. Meg January 11, 2009 at 1:33 pm - Reply

I really need to try some lentils. This looks fantastic!

9. Daily Spud January 11, 2009 at 1:36 pm - Reply

Just perfect for this time of year and this type of weather. Lentils make their way into a lot of my soups (and into a lot of my diet in general) – I’m a big fan.

10. Tina January 11, 2009 at 2:07 pm - Reply

Yuuum! Sounds like a great lentil soup recipe!

11. Carrie January 11, 2009 at 2:11 pm - Reply

Yum! This looks great! I love lentil soup!

12. Tangled Noodle January 11, 2009 at 3:15 pm - Reply

Just in time – I was staring hungrily at the bag of lentils in my pantry!

13. WiseAcre January 11, 2009 at 4:32 pm - Reply

Lentil stew sounds just about perfect to combat the cold around here. I’ve checked the pantry and we seem to be out of lentils but I did find peas. Guess what I’m going to eat later today.

14. Creative One January 11, 2009 at 5:28 pm - Reply

Never tried lentils before. The soup looks delish.

15. noble pig January 11, 2009 at 5:58 pm - Reply

Yum, I’ll have to try this one on my husband, he would probably ask for the meat too!

16. ♥Reeni January 11, 2009 at 6:36 pm - Reply

My Dad would say the same thing if I made this. It looks perfect for staying in, warm, delicious and comforting!

17. 5 Star Foodie January 11, 2009 at 7:55 pm - Reply

Looks wonderful for any kind of weather!

18. Laura January 12, 2009 at 12:18 am - Reply

Your Grumpy cracks me up! 🙂

19. Jenny January 12, 2009 at 1:14 am - Reply

Mmm, I bet it’s wonderful Shelby! Looks fantastic.

20. Kaitlin January 12, 2009 at 1:29 am - Reply

That looks so good. I agree, probably better meat-less!

21. JyLnC January 12, 2009 at 4:39 am - Reply

I've never had lentils unless they have been in a dish and I wasn't aware of it. Soups are a favorite with my husband and I. I'm going to link to this and try it this winter. Of course, I have to buy some lentils first. :>)

22. Susie January 12, 2009 at 5:58 am - Reply

Lentils… yum. They always remind me of my grandma – she loved lentil soup and lentil patties! 🙂

23. Hillary January 12, 2009 at 3:47 pm - Reply

I’ve been looking for a good lentil soup recipe! I will have to try this one out. Thanks in advance!

24. Mari at Once Upon a Plate January 12, 2009 at 5:38 pm - Reply

Yuuum. I love lentils and your recipe looks exceptional! Thank you for sharing. 🙂

25. pinkstripes January 12, 2009 at 8:58 pm - Reply

Lentil soup is one of my favorite winter treats. This stew looks delicious…thanks for sharing!

26. Kevin January 13, 2009 at 1:57 am - Reply

That sounds simple and good, not to mention healthy!

27. Mrs Ergül January 13, 2009 at 6:15 am - Reply

another recipe that features pulses! bookmarked! thanks for sharing!

28. Anonymous January 14, 2009 at 4:47 am - Reply

I adore lentils but unfortunately my guys get all freaky! I have an awesome lentil burrito recipe that is “wet” and baked but alas, they are duds.
    Thanks for this yummy looking post Shelby,
    Jam

29. Sam Sotiropoulos January 16, 2009 at 10:43 am - Reply

Lentil soup is a staple in Greek food culture, has been since the most ancient times. It is an excellent winter comfort food and now I am going to make some for lunch today! 🙂

30. Pierrette August 13, 2009 at 7:13 pm - Reply

Made a variation of this for lunch, removed the tomatoes and doubled the basil – it was oh so good definitely a keeper for my recipe book.

31. Anonymous October 6, 2019 at 8:27 pm - Reply

32. Miriah October 21, 2019 at 8:34 pm - Reply

33. […] delicious vegetarian option is this Lentil Stew. The slightly spicy soup is packed with flavor and ready to serve in about an […]