Because this is our favorite cheesecake recipe EVER, I made it to celebrate my brother's birthday. I am so lucky to have such a great brother. He has a lovely home, wonderful wife and two handsome sons! The only problem is I only see him a few days out of the year due to the miles between us.
Steve is the official Apple Dumpling maker and I rarely make them myself because he does such a good job, it's hard to do better than him! I really wish I could be closer. I would happily share some of my cheesecake with him in exchange for some of his apple dumplings!
For this recipe, I made my own lemon curd. I love this stuff! The sweet tang is so delicious that I can just eat it by the spoonful! Lemon Curd is very simple with only 4 ingredients - Lemon Juice (and zest), butter, sugar, and eggs!
I love the bright citrus scent of the lemon. It literally makes you feel sunshine! I believe this is the biggest reason citrus (lemons especially) is big in the spring. It invokes the feeling of sunshine, brightness, and life!
When the lemon curd is done I always top it with some plastic wrap to prevent a "skin" forming over top of the curd. Once it has cooled enough, I put it in the refrigerator to get cold. The curd thickens up more as it chills. It is perfect for swirling into this cheesecake!
The crust for this cake is a shortbread type crust and is very thin. I love this because I'm looking for cheesecake when I eat cheesecake, not the crust!
I feel bad my brother isn't here to share this with us....seriously. It makes a lot of cheesecake!
Lemon Curd Swirled Cheesecake
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
For the crust
For the filling
For the lemon curd
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, egg yolks, and lemon rind using a hand whisk.
- Cook for 3 minutes, until sugar dissolves and mixture is pale yellow. Stir in lemon juice and butter. Cook for 5 minutes or until mixture thinly coats the back of a spoon, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Transfer lemon curd to a large bowl and cover the top of the curd with plastic wrap. Cool completely. Chill lemon curd until ready to use.
To prepare the crust
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place ⅔ cup flour and 2 tablespoons sugar in a food processor; pulse 2 times or until combined. Add chilled butter; pulse 6 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- With food processor on, slowly pour ice water through food chute, processing just until blended (do not allow dough to form a ball). Transfer shortbread crumbs to 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray. Firmly press mixture into bottom of pan.
- Place in oven and bake 10 minutes, until lightly golden around the edges. Cool on a wire rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325.
To prepare the filling
- In a large bowl, using a electric mixer, beat cream cheese at high speed until smooth. Add sugar, flour, lemon zest, and salt to the cream cheese. Mix until well combined.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time to the cream cheese mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Pour the cheesecake batter into prepared pan. Spoon mounds of chilled lemon curd over top of cheesecake batter. Swirl curd and cheesecake batter using the tip of a knife.
- Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cheesecake is almost set. Remove cheesecake from oven, and cool to room temperature. Cover and chill for at least 8 hours.