Because this is our favorite cheesecake recipe EVER, I made it to celebrate my brother's birthday. I am so lucky to have such a great brother. He has a lovely home, wonderful wife and two handsome sons! The only problem is I only see him a few days out of the year due to the miles between us.
Steve is the official Apple Dumpling maker and I rarely make them myself because he does such a good job, it's hard to do better than him! I really wish I could be closer. I would happily share some of my cheesecake with him in exchange for some of his apple dumplings!
For this recipe, I made my own lemon curd. I love this stuff! The sweet tang is so delicious that I can just eat it by the spoonful! Lemon Curd is very simple with only 4 ingredients - Lemon Juice (and zest), butter, sugar, and eggs!
I love the bright citrus scent of the lemon. It literally makes you feel sunshine! I believe this is the biggest reason citrus (lemons especially) is big in the spring. It invokes the feeling of sunshine, brightness, and life!
When the lemon curd is done I always top it with some plastic wrap to prevent a "skin" forming over top of the curd. Once it has cooled enough, I put it in the refrigerator to get cold. The curd thickens up more as it chills. It is perfect for swirling into this cheesecake!
The crust for this cake is a shortbread type crust and is very thin. I love this because I'm looking for cheesecake when I eat cheesecake, not the crust!
I feel bad my brother isn't here to share this with us....seriously. It makes a lot of cheesecake!
Lemon Curd Swirled Cheesecake
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
For the crust
- ⅔ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter , chilled, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon ice water
- Cooking spray
For the filling
- 24 ounces fat-free cream cheese (3- 8 oz blocks), softened
- 16 ounces ⅓ less fat cream cheese (2-8 oz blocks), softened
- 1¾ cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2½ teaspoons lemon rind , grated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup Lemon Curd
For the lemon curd
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup fresh lemon juice about 3 large lemons
- 2 tablespoon butter
For the lemon curd
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, egg yolks, and lemon rind using a hand whisk.
- Cook for 3 minutes, until sugar dissolves and mixture is pale yellow. Stir in lemon juice and butter. Cook for 5 minutes or until mixture thinly coats the back of a spoon, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Transfer lemon curd to a large bowl and cover the top of the curd with plastic wrap. Cool completely. Chill lemon curd until ready to use.
To prepare the crust
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place ⅔ cup flour and 2 tablespoons sugar in a food processor; pulse 2 times or until combined. Add chilled butter; pulse 6 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- With food processor on, slowly pour ice water through food chute, processing just until blended (do not allow dough to form a ball). Transfer shortbread crumbs to 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray. Firmly press mixture into bottom of pan.
- Place in oven and bake 10 minutes, until lightly golden around the edges. Cool on a wire rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325.
To prepare the filling
- In a large bowl, using a electric mixer, beat cream cheese at high speed until smooth. Add sugar, flour, lemon zest, and salt to the cream cheese. Mix until well combined.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time to the cream cheese mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Pour the cheesecake batter into prepared pan. Spoon mounds of chilled lemon curd over top of cheesecake batter. Swirl curd and cheesecake batter using the tip of a knife.
- Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cheesecake is almost set. Remove cheesecake from oven, and cool to room temperature. Cover and chill for at least 8 hours.
That is simply gorgeous. I love lemon and cheesecake.
That cheesecake is GORGEOUS!!! It must be sooo good. Awesome combo! Lucky brother he is.
Just so you all know...his FAVORITE sister is his ONLY sister. ;o) But that is ok, I'll take it.
Thanks for all the birthday wishes. It's been a good day. If my FAVORITE sister would freeze the cheesecake and send it to me, I would be ecstatic. I'm sure the pics have less calories though. Thanks Shelby!
this looks sooooo yummy! I love cheesecake!
What a wonderful sister you are. Birthday wishes to Steve. The cheesecake looks awesome!!
Hi uncle Steve! Chris here, hope you have a great birthday! 😉 Look forward to seeing you this summer. Love ya lots.
My Dear Steve, When I think about you as a baby, what I remember most is your "cheeks". You had cheeks, really kissable cheeks and we kissed on you LOL gotcha! Now you are in the over 40 club for sure:) Grandpa Whitton would have been 92 today and I remember how proud he was that you were born on his birthday. He had some fun with that! The Lord has been generous to us. I love you, Aunt Ann P.S. Eat your heart out on the cake!
Happy Birthday Steve!! Look at that gorgeous cake your missing out on!
Gera @ SweetsFoods
Happy Birthday, Steve! Heaven Heaven great cheesecake and lovely pics!
That looks fabulous!
Oh my does this cheesecake look good! This would be good on a nice warm summer afternoon, sitting on the porch in my rocking chairs with a glass of sun made iced tea! :o)
This looks like heaven! What a nice thing to do for your brother!
Happy birthday Steve. Bring some of that desert back for me next time you visit your sister.
I love the artsy design on the cheesecake and Happy Birthday to Steve!
I wish there to share too! Happy Birthday Steve!
Work of art!!! Happy B-day Steve!!
Gabi @ Mamaliga
Happy B-day old man! 😉
P.S. - You should be guilting mom into sending you this cheesecake.
What a sweet sister! Happy birthday to your brother. The cheesecake looks AMAZING!
Happy Birthday , Steve! Great cheesecake and I love the ,lemon dots on the plate.