June 19 was Grumpy's and my 5th wedding anniversary. Yes, the day went right by us and neither of us even realized it. There is just so much happening that it is hard to remember everything!
Soon it will be my Nanny's birthday, my Aunt Marlene & Uncle Gary, then my Mom & Dad's anniversary...all at the end of this month. Then we will come to July 5th which is Justin & Kristina's 1st wedding anniversary and my Aunt Ann's birthday! Then, ten days later, my first born will be 24. We certainly have a lot to celebrate the end of June and first of July!
Since Grumpy and I have been good and haven't had dessert in the house for over a week (believe me, that is an accomplishment!) and since my mom gave me two quarts of strawberries from her berry patch over the weekend, I decided I had to so something with these berries so they didn't go to waist. Oops. I meant waste. 😉 So, off to Cooking Light again....
Sunday while we were driving to town to meet up with Grumpy's dad and step-mom for some boating I looked at my Best of Cooking Light cookbook. On the cover of this book was a photo of this Strawberry-Almond Cream Tart. Right then and there I knew what I was doing with those strawberries. I followed the recipe as written except I made the mistake of doubling the almond extract. No problem though, it still tasted absolutely delicious - so much so I would have liked to eaten two pieces tonight instead of one!
- Strawberry-Almond Cream Tart
- WW Points: 6
- 36 honey graham crackers (about 9 sheets)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons water
- Cooking spray
- ⅔ cup light cream cheese
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 6 cups small fresh strawberries, divided
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare crust, place crackers in a food processor; process until crumbly. Add 2 tablespoons sugar, butter, and water; pulse just until moist. Place mixture in a 9-inch round removable-bottom tart pan coated with cooking spray, pressing into bottom and up sides of pan to ¾ inch. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare filling, combine cream cheese, ¼ cup sugar, and extracts in a medium bowl; stir until smooth. Spread mixture evenly over bottom of tart shell.
- To prepare topping, place 2 cups strawberries in food processor; process until pureed. Combine strawberry puree, ⅔ cup sugar, and cornstarch in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; cook 1 minute. Remove glaze from heat, and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Combine 4 cups strawberries and juice; toss to coat. Arrange berries, bottoms up, in a circular pattern over filling. Spoon half of glaze evenly over berries (reserve remaining glaze for another use). Sprinkle nuts around edge. Cover and chill 3 hours.