This Avocado Toast recipe is a satisfying and delicious way to start the day. It is a bagel and lox inspired recipe with a smear of cream cheese and mashed avocado topped with smoked salmon, capers, and red onion.
Salmon Avocado Toast is a great idea for special occasions like bridal showers or a weekend brunch. It not only tastes delicious but adds an elegant look to the table.
Salmon Avocado Toast
I am always trying to come up with new avocado toast ideas. This salmon avocado toast recipe came from my daughter-in-law's love for smoked salmon with cream cheese and capers on bagels. She loves it so much it was the first thing she ate after giving birth to my grandson. It was a long nine months for someone who craves smoked salmon!
Make It Keto
This recipe was made for my daughter-in-law and since I follow a low carb keto friendly diet I knew I had to be able to enjoy this recipe also. Since the only thing not keto friendly in this recipe is the bread, it's as easy as making 1 substitution.
This Keto Bread Recipe made with almond flour is the perfect vessel to make this a keto Avocado Toast recipe!When using the keto bread recipe, the nutrition information changes to just 3 net carbs per serving!
Firm thin sliced bread
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
Small mixing bowl
Flat wire whisk (to mash the avocado), I use this one and it works perfectly.
Sharp knife to slice the onion
Toaster, this is the BEST toaster out there! I love it so much I bought one for my parents. I have owned mine for almost 20 years and it still works like new.
In a small mixing bowl using a flat wire whisk, mash the the avocado until just a few chunks remain.
Toast the bread until lightly browned. Spread a thin layer of cream cheese over top of the warm toast.
Top with ¼ of the mashed avocado and spread over top of the toast.
Add the smoked salmon to the top of the avocado and garnish with red onion slices and capers.
💭 Top Tips
- Pick a great avocado. Avocados that give a gentle squeeze.
- Remove any brown spots on the avocado before using.
- Make sure to use a sturdy bread. I used a Tuscan Pane bread that is firm when toasted.
- Add a squeeze of lime juice to the mashed avocado to keep it from turning brown and give it a light citrus overtone.
- Cut a garlic clove in half and rub it over top of the toast just as it comes out of the toaster to add garlic flavor.
- Add a sprinkle of everything bagel seasoning to the assembled recipe.
- Put a soft cooked egg or hard boiled egg slices on top of the mashed avocado before topping with the remaining ingredients.
- Top with Pickled Red Onions or pickled jalapenos.
🥑 More Recipes with Avocado
*If you made this recipe, please give it a star rating*
Salmon Avocado Toast with Capers and Onions
- 4 slices bread
- 2 avocados
- 4 tbsp whipped cream cheese
- 4 ounces smoked salmon
- 2 tbsp capers
- ¼ red onion sliced
- In a small mixing bowl using a flat wire whisk, mash the the avocado until just a few chunks remain.
- Toast the bread until lightly browned. Spread a thin layer of cream cheese over top of the warm toast.
- Top with ¼ of the mashed avocado and spread over top of the toast.
- Add the smoked salmon to the top of the avocado and garnish with red onion slices and capers.