Happy New Year! Can you believe it is 2017? My goal for this year is to continue on my healthy eating quest for Grumpy and Me, starting with these delicious Strawberry Baked Donuts made with Great Grains® cereal!
Last year I took a pledge to eat healthier and become more fit. I'm happy to tell you that while I am not yet the "goddess" I want to be, I am definitely healthier and more fit this January 1 than I was last! I'm down in pounds and feeling great!
I made 3 very important changes in my lifestyle last year that I have stuck to for the most part. I admit, I am far from perfect and I do falter and give in. The difference is now, when I make that mistake, I don't allow it to rule how I feel and just keep messing up. I move on and go back to what I was doing!
When it came down to it, I realized that what I was putting into my body was what was making me feel terrible. So, to start, we started eating healthier. More proteins and whole grains, fresh vegetables and fruit. Exercise became a part of my daily routine.
I would walk the mall in the morning before going to work, and then, I would sometimes also walk the mall during my lunch break. I made sure to get at least 10,000 steps a day in for the most part. Sometimes I would really impress myself and double those steps! Lastly, I participated in challenges with my friends on FitBit. This would motivate me even more to at least get my 10K steps in, if not more because I wanted to be at the top!
I decided to take a favorite muffin recipe and change it up some by adding Great Grains® cereal and fresh strawberries, then turn the muffins into donut shape! I also topped the muffins with some of the great grains cereal and made a little drizzle frosting with fresh strawberries pureed and mixed with confectioner sugar.
Do you have a commitment to eating healthier and living a cleaner life? I would love to hear what you are doing to help you succeed. Leave me a note in the comments below to tell me how you plan to succeed in 2017?
Watch how I make my Strawberry Baked Donuts!
PIN IT - Strawberry Baked Donuts
Strawberry Baked Donuts
For the Donuts
- ¼ cup vegetable oil plus more for tin
- 1-½ cups Great Grains® Crunchy Pecan Cereal
- ¾ cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- ½ cup chopped strawberries
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
For the Glaze
- ¼ cup pureed strawberries
- 1-½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400. Spray donut pans with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine cereal and milk; let stand until softened, about 15 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Stir oil, egg, sugar, and strawberries into cereal mixture. Fold in flour mixture.
- Prep piping bag by cutting tip to make a hole about ½ inch wide. Put batter in piping bag and pipe into donut wells. Top with sprinkles of cereal.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a donut comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack; let cool completely.
- Combine 1 cup of powdered sugar, strawberry puree, and vanilla. Stir until well combined. Add remaining ½ cup powdered sugar and stir until smooth.
- Drizzle donuts with glaze. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.