Hamburger Steaks with Mushrooms and Onions make a hearty, delicious meal any night of the week! The vegetables are sautéed together until browned, then seasoned with a little red wine and beef broth to deglaze the pan. Smother the juicy burgers with this combination then top with some cheddar gruyere cheese for that finishing comfort food touch.
This meaty comfort food recipe is made with Certified Angus Beef for that best beef flavor. This low carb dish is a warm and delicious meal that can be ready to serve in under 30 minutes!
Beef: The ultimate comfort food!
It's not a secret that we love beef in the Grumpy house. Whenever I need something delicious and nutritious as well as fast, I always turn to beef. Ground beef is one of my favorites. There are so many different ways to enjoy it and it is always one of the easiest ways to put a meal on your table fast!
Recipes like Hamburger Soup, Spicy Sweet Chili Bowl, Grilled Reuben Burgers, and Meatball Chili make it on our table often! All of these are easy and delicious recipes that have become favorites in our home!
How to make Hamburger Steaks!
For this recipe I went with 85% lean ground Certified Angus Beef®. This gave me a little more fat to help keep the steaks juicy, as well as lean enough for the fat content to not be too high for our diet. I added some worcestershire sauce to deepen the flavor of the beef as well as salt and pepper. That is all this burger needs for a tasty burger on it's own!
Add the seasonings to your ground beef and mix with your hands until combined.
Shape the beef mixture into patties.
Heat oil in skillet until hot and place hamburger steaks in skillet.
Cook hamburger steaks until well browned on both sides.
Once the burgers have cooked a few minutes on each side, you remove them and cook the mushrooms and onions. This is where the over the top goodness comes in!
Once the vegetables are sauteed, you will create your sauce by thickening with a little flour and adding some red wine and beef broth. Then you will add the burgers back to the pan and bury them with the mushroom and onion mixture.
You may like
I love to use my Lodge Cast Iron Skillet for this recipe! I I highly recommend it and love how it gives a nice crispy brown exterior to the hamburger steaks. It holds heat and disperses it evenly!
What’s new? Check out my Grumpy’s Honeybunch Store on Amazon! Thanks so much for being a part of Grumpy’s Honeybunch!
More beefy comfort food recipes you may like
- The Ultimate Burger Bowl
- Low Carb Steak and Mushroom Pie
- Homemade Corned Beef Hash and Eggs
- Low Carb Taco Meatloaf
- Beef Barley Skillet Dinner
Smothered Hamburger Steaks
- 1 lb ground Certified Angus Beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ teaspoon salt divided
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper divided
- ¼ cup onion finely chopped
- 8 oz baby portobello mushrooms sliced
- 1 ½ teaspoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsalted beef stock
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 4 oz slices cheddar-gruyere cheese
- [mv_schema_meta name="Shape the beef patties"]Combine beef, 1 teaspoons oil, Worcestershire, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper in a bowl; mix with hands. Divide into 4 portions, shaping each into a patty. [mv_img id="24740"]
- [mv_schema_meta name="Cook the beef patties"]Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil to pan and swirl to coat. Add patties to pan and cook 3 minutes on each side. Remove patties from pan. [mv_img id="24741"]
- [mv_schema_meta name="Cook the mushrooms and onions"]Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan and swirl to coat. Add onion and mushrooms to pan. Cook until mushrooms are browned. Sprinkle with flour, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper; cook 2 minutes. [mv_img id="24738"]
- [mv_schema_meta name="Make the sauce"]Add wine and beef stock to pan. Cook 1 minute or until thickened and slightly reduced, stirring frequently. Move onion mixture to sides of pan and return patties to pan. Spoon onion mixture over patties. Place 1 oz cheese slice over each patty. Cover and cook or until cheese melts (about 2-3 minutes)[mv_img id="24739"]