These Rhubarb Custard Bars have a shortbread crust, a custard filling, and a creamy whipped topping. They are light and delicious with plenty of rhubarb flavor coming through. There is just enough sweet to cut the tart of the rhubarb. This light recipe is a delicious springtime dessert that you will love to eat all summer long!

Rhubarb Custard Bars

I have made this recipe for Rhubarb Custard Bars for many years now. It is the first rhubarb recipe I made for Grumpy and this just may be the one that won him over and made him decide to never, ever leave me! I also remember this being a dessert my Nanny loved to enjoy and I remember her visiting and enjoying them with Grumpy and me.

Rhubarb Custard Bars

I grew up with rhubarb growing freely in our gardens. As a matter of fact, it grows so well, it is almost like a weed! Rhubarb is a sturdy and hearty plant. One that is not easy to kill, even though I seem to have been brown thumbed enough to have actually done that. Not something I love to admit!

Rhubarb Custard Bars

A brief interlude, I have to share! Don’t you just LOVE my new wine glasses and apron! I had these made in celebration of my new blog design.

These Rhubarb Custard Bars are probably one of my favorite all-time dessert bars. I love that sweet tang you get from the combination of sugar and rhubarb. I also think you should pin this photo below! 🙂

Pin it! Rhubarb Custard Bars

Rhubarb Custard Bars
Yield: 24

Rhubarb Custard Bars

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes

Rhubarb Custard Bars are a layer of shortbread crust, custard filling and creamy topping. Filling all the senses for the perfect comfort food!

Ingredients

Cream topping:

• 1-8 oz package 1/3 less fat cream cheese
  • 1 cup sugar free cool whip
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup sugar

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. To prepare crust, place flour, sugar, and salt in food processor. Drop in cold cubed butter and process until crust forms crumbles. Place crumbles in 9x13 baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Press crumbs in bottom of pan covering entire bottom. Bake for 15 minutes.
  3. To prepare filling, In a large mixing bowl combine milk, flour, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Mix until well combined. Stir in rhubarb. Pour over partially baked crust and return to oven. Bake for another 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
  4. In a medium mixing bowl combined softened cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Fold in 1 cup sugar free whipped topping. Spread over completely cooled bars. Store in refrigerator.

Nutrition Information

Yield

Serving Size

1 bar

Amount Per Serving Calories 236Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 36mgSodium 26mgCarbohydrates 45gFiber 1gSugar 34gProtein 2g

Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.

Did you make this recipe?

Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Instagram

1. Patty Lee Haas July 15, 2015 at 1:38 pm - Reply

LOVE Grumpys Huneybunch!

2. Sandra July 15, 2015 at 11:18 pm - Reply

I love the whole look of your new website and the logo is adorable! Great job to you and your son! Lucky guy gets to celebrate his 30th with delicious rhubarb custard bars! I want to make them for ME!

3. Christie July 16, 2015 at 9:29 am - Reply

I really like your new website. So clean and easy to navigate. Happy Birthday to your son. I would love to celebrate with a slice.

4. Kristin @ Dizzy Busy and Hungry July 18, 2015 at 8:49 am - Reply

Happy birthday to Justin! These bars look awesome!

5. Doretta Sturtevant August 7, 2015 at 1:42 am - Reply

I just want to thank you!! You’re recipes have brought excitement back to a humdrum recipe box and not only does my husband look forward to the next OMG find but my son looks forward to the next recipe we can try out together.

By sharing your recipes we have spent some valuable time together (hard to do with a teenager much less a son who has more important things to do than hang with mom in the kitchen–but he loves it as much as I do)

I enjoy sharing in your life moments and of course benefitting from your cooking expertise.

Thank you so much!!

• Shelby August 7, 2015 at 5:35 am - Reply

Doretta, thank you so much for your comment! It makes me happy that your family is enjoying recipes and spending time together 🙂 As someone with sons, I know it can be a challenge! You may be interested to hear the my youngest son is going to become a contributor to the blog with me while my oldest son is a part of the technical end. Everything I could ask for, my boys working with me on my passion 🙂 Thank you again!

6. Suzanne June 16, 2019 at 9:55 pm - Reply

Oh my goodness!!! I doubled the custard and used half almond milk and the rest half and half. This was heaven, my entire family loved it!

I cant wait to try the low carb version…back to keto tmrw, but this was worth every carb.

• Shelby Law Ruttan June 17, 2019 at 4:53 am - Reply

Hi Suzanne! I agree, this is one yummy recipe! I’m glad you enjoyed it and that it was worth the carbs 🙂 I would have to agree! The Low Carb version is still very delicious and Grumpy doesn’t complain that I make that one instead of this one, so I had to have come pretty darn close to the original recipe for him to be happy! 🙂 Thanks for stopping by!

7. Jo Ann Young June 13, 2020 at 7:21 pm - Reply

In the recipe is says 1 teaspoon but not what it is?

• Shelby Law Ruttan June 14, 2020 at 3:03 pm - Reply

Hi Jo Ann, it is vanilla extract. I have updated the recipe card. Thanks for letting me know!

8. […] made a non keto version of rhubarb custard bars for years. So, when my rhubarb was ready to harvest, my mind naturally went to that recipe and how […]

9. shelby D mason August 8, 2020 at 2:27 pm - Reply

The recipe for rhubarb custard bars asks for milk…but in the directions : To prepare filling, In a large mixing bowl combine cashew milk,
    What is cashew milk?

• Shelby Law Ruttan August 9, 2020 at 9:28 am - Reply

Hi Shelby, Milk of any type can be used. We use almond and cashew milk, but cow’s milk is ok as well. ˜Shelby