Bacon Wrapped Scallops with Bourbon Maple Glaze
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 12 slices low-sodium bacon slices, cut in half
- cooking spray
- 24 large sea scallops
- Pre-bake bacon for about 7 - 10 minutes at 350 degrees, until bacon is limp and has started to release fat. Do not let bacon fully cook through or you will not be able to wrap the scallop. Partially cooking the bacon will allow your bacon to become crisp by the time the scallops are done cooking.
- Stir together bourbon, maple syrup, chili pepper flakes, and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 3-5 minutes, until mixture has reduced and thickened slightly.
- Wrap partially cooked bacon around scallops (½ slice bacon per scallop) and secure with a toothpick.
- Turn the oven broiler on high. Line a baking pan with foil and coat foil lined pan with cooking spray. Place scallops on pan coat with glaze mixture and broil 2-3 minutes. Turn scallops over, coat with another coating of glaze and broil 2-3 minutes longer.
- Remove to serving plate and garish with desired garnish (I used pomegranate seeds but many people garnish with chives).
Yield: 24 Scallops (12 appetizer portions, 4 dinner servings)
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 06 mins.
Total time: 16 mins.
Tags: bacon, seafood, scallops, maple, bourbon, chili pepper, spicy, sweet, appetizer