I love appetizers and I could make a meal of just appetizers all the time. Grumpy probably wouldn't go for it though. Its kind of funny what one person has set in their mind what makes up a meal isn't it? Well, while Grumpy was gone hunting back home with his dad one weekend, I decided that my meal was going to be these Bacon Pecan Stuffed Mushrooms.
I found this recipe in Taste of Home and while it sounded amazing, I knew I could cut the fat a whole lot more. So, I reduced the butter and oil, cut the amount of bacon in half, and went with a light sour cream. The flavor of this appetizer was not lost in anyway by making these changes. These were super delicious. I think if I had made these full fat, that I probably would not have liked them as much because I feel that the bacon would have been overwhelming.
By making the changes I did to the recipe I saved 133 calories and 13 grams of fat! See nutrition information for my revised recipe below.
Looking for more yummy appetizers for the holiday season? Be sure to follow my Appetizer Board on Pinterest!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb. large fresh mushrooms, stems removed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley flakes
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- Preheat broiler on high.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp butter and /21 tablespoon canola oil over medium heat. Add mushroom caps. Cook 2 minutes on each side. Spinkle with salt and remove from pan. Place on paper towel stem side down.
- In same skillet, place remaining tablespoon butter and melt over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until onions are soft. Stir in bacon, pecans, and bread crumbs. Cook another 2 minutes. Bread will start to get a little buttery crisp. Add chicken broth, sour cream, and parsley flakes. Spoon filling into mushroom caps.
- Place stuffed mushrooms on broiler pan and broil 5 inches from heat for 2-3 minutes or until filling is browned.