I had never had a Horned Melon before. Also known as the Kiwano Melon. This fruit is very different and while I didn’t care to eat the fruit on its own, I had a good old time creating an adult beverage out of it! The scary look of this fruit kind of looks pre-historic doesn’t it?  Hence, I present you with my Prehistoric Rum Martini!

Pre-Historic Rum Martini

I received product from Frieda’s Specialty Produce to sample.   All thoughts and opinions shared here are my own.

While this drink may “look” like it has swamp scum floating on top, it really doesn’t.  Makes it a perfect Halloween Drink though doesn’t it?  Just serve in the horny melon cup with a slice of lime and your guest won’t even care that they have to avoid the horns to just drink the beverage!
Pre-Historic Rum Martini
If you aren’t in the mood to make your guests be cautious when drinking (although I don’t know why you would not want to do so!) you can serve it in your martini glasses without the stem for easier handling!  This recipe is created for two beverages, however, feel free to double, triple, or quadruple it for your small gathering of friends and impress them with your pre-historic ways!
Looking for other Halloween Party Ideas?  Check out my post on the Adult Halloween Party where there are several spooky recipes to make!
Pre-Historic Rum Martini
Author: Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Prep time:
Total time:
Serves: 2 drinks
Ingredients
  • 2 tall shots white rum
  • juice of 1 horned melon
  • juice of 1 lime (use two limes if your lime is not very juicy)
  • 5-6 mint sprigs
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
Instructions
  1. Scoop fruit from melon. Mash fruit to bring out as much juice as possible. Remove the seeds if you wish, but I didn’t.
  2. In a shaker, muddle your mint and sugar to bring out the essence of the mint.
  3. Add ice to the shaker and then add the rum, melon juice and lime juice. Shake well and serve.
  4. To use the melons for your cups, just cut the melon in half when your are ready to scoop the fruit out. Once the fruit is scooped, press a few paper towels into the melon halves to dry the cup. Or, serve in little martini glasses 🙂

1. Sherri Jo October 21, 2014 at 10:13 am - Reply

I love this! For some reason when I see it, I think Frankenstein! <3

2. Rebekah Hills October 21, 2014 at 1:54 pm - Reply

Those are so COOL looking!! Never seen a horned melon before – but what a perfect "cup" for this drink! 🙂

3. Sheena @ Hot Eats and Cool Reads October 21, 2014 at 6:33 pm - Reply

I've never even seen that type of melon before! How fun and creative! Love this!

4. Patsy K October 21, 2014 at 9:34 pm - Reply

What a fun drink! I especially love your martini glasses!

5. Kristin @ Dizzy Busy and Hungry! October 21, 2014 at 10:26 pm - Reply

What a great idea! Very cute!

6. Sandra Shaffer October 22, 2014 at 3:51 am - Reply

I've never tried horned melon before! Love the natural green color! Perfect martini! to serve at a Halloween party!

7. Rachael October 22, 2014 at 7:45 pm - Reply

This is a really cute way of serving drinks! Great photo.

8. james Axel October 29, 2014 at 5:50 am - Reply

Most of us highly-developed this specific hack each of our completely new system eHac sixth is v.5.1. Our own hack have a helpful port and it's absolutely

dependable mainly because all of us utilize ProxyPro vers. Clash Of Clans Hack Tool No Survey eight to provide safety to help our bait users.

9. […] to impress your friends at your next cookout? Whip up a batch of these Pre-Historic Rum Martini’s complete with Horned Melon skin […]