Peanut Butter Chocolate Baked Donuts

Peanut Butter Mocha Chip Donuts, baked to perfection and sweetened with pure maple syrup, one of my favorite ingredients to use to sweeten my recipes with!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Baked Donuts

Peanut Butter Mocha Chip Baked Donuts
 What drew me into this particular recipe?  Everything.  King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour, maple syrup, applesauce, no eggs and the fact that they are baked.  Because my family produces maple syrup, I always have some on hand.  So, anytime I see a recipe that includes it, I give it my full attention!  The applesauce I used in this recipe was homemade applesauce that my Dad and Mom made from apples they grow on their property.
Peanut Butter Mocha Chip Baked Donuts #baking #peanutbutter #chocolate

I used Trader Joe’s Chunk Peanut Butter, just something about that particular brand of peanut butter that I love.  Another great plus to this recipe is the fact that on the second day they are NOT SOGGY.  That is a big plus for us because with just Grumpy and me eating these, we are not going to eat the whole batch in one day.  Well, we probably could, but we wouldn’t!

Peanut Butter Mocha Chip Baked Donuts #baking #peanutbutter #chocolate
A perfect breakfast of these donuts, almond milk, and a banana!
These gems do not need any glazing.  Oh, you could certainly put some on, but they don’t need it.  I love how they are naturally sweet and went great with my almond milk, but they were fabulous with my cup of coffee!  I’m such a coffee fan that I immediately think of using it if I have any leftover in my pot after my first morning cup.  While mixing these together, I was basically following the recipe, grabbed the almond milk out of my fridge then when I turned around my eye caught the coffee pot with a little left at the bottom.  I immediately knew I would sub some of the milk with coffee.  If you don’t drink coffee, no biggie, just use milk as the original recipe is written.
Note:  Melissa heats her peanut butter up on the stove with the syrup.  I did not need to do that.  The peanut butter I use from Trader Joe’s is not a solid, hard to stir peanut butter, so I just whisked all my wet ingredients together.
Inspired by Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Donuts made by Melissa over at My Whole Food Life
Peanut Butter Mocha Chip Baked Donuts
  • 1/3 cup applesauce
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons almond milk
  • 2 tablespoons coffee
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
Instructions
  1. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
  2. Whisk together peanut butter, maple syrup, applesauce, vanilla, almond milk, and coffee until well blended.
  3. Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and stir until just moistened. Fold in mini chocolate chips.
  4. Batter will be thick and you will not have a fluid fill of the donut pan. You will want to spoon it in and pat the dough down.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until slightly browned.

1. Life Tastes Good April 21, 2014 at 1:02 pm - Reply

Oh man I want these NOW!!! Your pics are making my drool haha I cannot wait to try this recipe!!!! pinning, stumbling and all that jazz so I can find it easily!!!

2. BecHeflin April 21, 2014 at 4:29 pm - Reply

I don't think there's a better doughnut in the universe than one with peanut butter in it! YUM!

3. Mary Ellen April 21, 2014 at 10:36 pm - Reply

I see these in my future very soon! They sound so good. Peanut butter and chocolate chips, they have to be a hit….

4. Erin | The Law Students Wife April 22, 2014 at 12:31 am - Reply

I love this flavor combo. Thanks for the reminder to bust out my donut pan!

5. Jen Sattley April 22, 2014 at 2:20 am - Reply

Peanut butter, chocolate chips, maple syrup – 3 of my favorite things all in one donut! These look delicious!

6. Jennifer Johnson April 22, 2014 at 12:37 pm - Reply

Donuts are so much fun and peanut butter sounds great

7. bgall April 22, 2014 at 1:38 pm - Reply

These look wonderful! And such pretty pictures!! 🙂 – Becky (the cookie rookie)

8. anyonita green April 23, 2014 at 8:54 pm - Reply

These donuts look brilliant! 🙂 I especially loved that they're baked! Now if only they didn't have any gluten…! lol

9. Michele @ Flavor Mosaic April 24, 2014 at 1:34 am - Reply

These look wonderful! Great idea! I'm going to have to try.

10. Debi Wayland May 13, 2014 at 10:05 pm - Reply

Um, yes please. And, if my husband sees these, he's definitely asking for them!! I also love that they are vegan! Yum! I love that they don't need a glaze. I am wondering about a coffee glaze on them, mmmm, too much? Thanks for sharing this recipe!

11. Sandra Shaffer June 2, 2014 at 2:01 pm - Reply

These are fantastic baked donuts!! I can't wait to try them in my mini donut pan. I love that little thing, and your flavor combination has me drooling!

12. Christie Daruwalla March 30, 2015 at 11:40 am - Reply

Wow, your family produces maple syrup?! That is so awesome. I would be putting it on everything. These cookies look awesome and so healthy.

13. Sara Glover March 30, 2015 at 2:47 pm - Reply

These look incredible! your pictures are awesome! They just look crazy good!

14. Sarah Olson March 30, 2015 at 10:03 pm - Reply

I would love to have one of these with a cup of coffee right now! Great recipe Shelby!

15. Sandra Shaffer March 31, 2015 at 4:27 am - Reply

My mini donut pan needs to get dusted off, but I'm thinking I need a full size donut pan now 🙂

16. Carrie R March 31, 2015 at 1:13 pm - Reply

Oh wow! These looks so good! 🙂 And I love that they are healthier too!

17. Sheena @ Hot Eats and Cool Reads March 31, 2015 at 3:26 pm - Reply

What a fantastic donut recipe! Love the flavors you added!

18. Miriah October 21, 2019 at 8:23 pm - Reply