Fall brings us wonderful, wonderful foods and one of Grumpy and my very favorites is butternut squash. I don't think I could ever get sick of it and I totally crave it - not just in the fall, but all year long. Before we get full swing into December and all the holiday sweets that start flowing from our blogs, I want to share with you this wonderful recipe from Ivory of Kopiaste. It is a filling flavored with butternut squash, spinach and feta topped with a delicious crispy corn crumble. Yummy is the word people!
This recipe is going to be a keeper around here (Grumpy is also a big fan of spinach!). Check out Ivy's recipe below. It might sound like a lot by the title, but it really is very simple to put together and I believe that you will not regret trying this one out!
Savoury Cornmeal Crumble with Butternut Squash, Spinach and Feta, Images and recipe from Ivy at Kopiaste
Savory Corn Crumble
FOR THE FILLING:
- 2.20 lbs butternut squash grated
- 16 oz spinach thawed and squeezed
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup parsley finely chopped
- ½ cup fennel fronds finely chopped
- Salt and freshly grated black pepper to taste
- A pinch of cumin
- FOR THE CRUMBLE:
- 1.50 pounds cornmeal
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Greek yoghturt 2%
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp salt
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS
- 3 tbsp margarine divided to grease the baking tin and to add on top
- Grate the pumpkin and mix all the filling ingredients.
- In a large bowl add the crumble ingredients and mix using your hand until the ingredients are well blended to form the crumble. If you still see cornmeal, add more olive oil, if necessary.
- Grease a 35 x 25 cm baking tin with 2 tbsp margarine. Add half of the crumble on the baking tin.
- Add the filling on top and sprinkle the remaining crumble on top of the filling.
- Add the remaining margarine in small pieces scattered all over the baking tin.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and bake for 1 hour or until the crumble is golden on top.