If you know me, then this post will come as no surprise to you. There is some sweet heat in some little bites in this post and believe me when I say they are yummy bites! This recipe incorporates some of my very favorite flavors ever - all in a little appetizer bite!
I was searching recipes for small plates to get some ideas for this week when I saw the recipe for Butternut Squash Bruschetta. I immediately went to the recipe because it sounded too interesting to pass up. Then I read the ingredient list and knew I could not pass it up. My next trip to Price Chopper had me buying a baguette so I could put this yummy appy together!
There is honey, chili flakes, walnuts and caper berries topped with asiago cheese. Strong flavors mixed with sweet for a perfect party bite. If your wanting to use your butternut squash in a different way for Christmas or New Years, this is it! The night I made this, it was my meal alone. That went along perfectly with a bottle of Blue Moon. 🙂 Go ahead, try it, share it, and become the star of your party!
- 2 cups butternut squash, diced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 10 caper berries, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 loaf baguette, sliced diagonally
- garnishes: asiago cheese slivers and chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400. In a medium sized bowl, mix all ingredients except asiago cheese and chopped cilantro. Turn squash mixture out onto a heavy baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, stir, then bake another 15 minutes. Squash should be tender at this point. Don't over cook or you will burn your ingredients. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, slice baguette, drizzle with olive oil and season lightly with salt. Bake until slightly browned and crisp.
- Remove baguette slices from oven, top with squash mixture and garnish with asiago cheese and cilantro. Become the star of your party :o)