Blueberry French Toast Souffle

Its been a while since I’ve made a breakfast on the weekend for Grumpy and me.  Most often for the weekend I will make pancakes, sometimes waffles, other times french toast.  Today though, I wanted to do something different; something I have not tried before.

Mom and Dad were here last weekend and when they came to visit they brought along with them a whole lot of garden goodies.  They also brought me a labor of love that didn’t come from their garden, but had picked on their own:  Blueberries!  They know how much I love them and brought me several quarts!

This morning, while Grumpy was still sleeping, I did a lot of internet searching and finally came across a recipe on allrecipes.com that I finally used as a sort of “guide”.  As the “souffle” was baking the house had that presence of being a young girl at home when my Momma was baking.  It took me back and made me feel real nostalgia and I began to miss the days of my youth when I had nothing to worry about unless I was misbehaving at home.  This recipe turned out great.  Not sweet – unless you poured a whole lot of maple syrup over top.  Custardy on the inside and crusty on top with the sprinkling of coarse sugar adding to the crunch.  It seems to me that I have found myself another comfort food!  I decided this needed a new name and since I made changes to it I felt that I could do just that!

Blueberry French Toast Souffle
Author: Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Baked in large oven safe cereal bowls – 1 bowl serves 2 people*
Ingredients
  • 4 cups cubed Italian bread
  • 2 oz. cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat), cubed
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream (I have to get rid of it and I can’t throw it away!)
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup blueberries with a few extra for topping after done baking
  • coarse sugar crystals to sprinkle on top prior to baking
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray individual oven safe bowls with cooking spray.  Place 1/2 cup of bread crumbs in bottom of bowl.  Add 1/4 cup blueberries to each bowl and divide the cubed cream cheese between the bowls.
  2. Whisk the eggs, cream, syrup, vanilla, and cinnamon together until well blended.  This should make 1 cup of liquid.  Pour 1/2 cup liquid over each bowl.  Bake covered in oven 30 minutes.  Remove cover and bake another 10 minutes to brown top.  Serve with extra blueberries and pure maple syrup.
  3. Please note that you can also bake this all in one dish.  I opted for the smaller bowls just because I wanted the “visual”.  :o)

1. Pegasuslegend August 13, 2011 at 2:50 pm - Reply

Fabulous enticing photo's love this one my son will too!

2. Michele O August 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm - Reply

sounds and looks yummy!

3. honeyb August 13, 2011 at 3:07 pm - Reply

I don't normally love stuff like this, I'm just a boring, plain old granola in my yogurt kind of gal. But this one really sold me and looks so good! I discovered it, Shelby!

Is the person commenting just above Michelle Obama? 😉

4. Shelby August 13, 2011 at 3:09 pm - Reply

LOL, too funny Katrina…however, Michelle O is from my home area and believe it or not, we have never met, but she does know some of my family! Small world.

5. Mari August 13, 2011 at 4:37 pm - Reply

What a mouthwatering breakfast recipe! I am so craving it!

6. Kathleen August 13, 2011 at 6:43 pm - Reply

This really looks TOO delicious!

7. briarrose August 13, 2011 at 10:53 pm - Reply

Such a great, breakfast dish. Love the color the blueberries provide.

8. vanillasugarblog August 14, 2011 at 12:21 am - Reply

shel your photos are getting really good. whatever you're doing keep doing it momma.
    i wish i didn't have to work so early i want pancakes or french toast for my sunday morning.

9. sheila August 14, 2011 at 7:51 am - Reply

Mmm, I want this now! It's 1;45 in the a.m , I think I will have to make a blueberrie run in the morning!

10. LaPhemmePhoodie August 14, 2011 at 1:05 pm - Reply

My parents have a garden. They often bring me food to play with. So great when that happens. I often have blueberries for breakfast but have yet to incorporate them into a French Toast dish. This one sounds very comforting!

11. Angela FRS August 14, 2011 at 2:22 pm - Reply

Sooooo pretty! Looks like a perfect Saturday morning breakfast.

12. Cajun Chef Ryan August 15, 2011 at 2:52 pm - Reply

Wow, great treat indeed! I can never get enough blueberries, great way to add them in this wonderful dish.

13. Judee @ Gluten Free A-Z August 16, 2011 at 12:10 am - Reply

How clever! I love the idea of a fruit spring roll.

14. Mari August 16, 2011 at 1:54 am - Reply

Very unique! I love the contrasting colors of the berries look very appetizing 🙂

15. Patsyk August 16, 2011 at 12:40 pm - Reply

I love when the scent of baking goodies takes me back to when I was a child at Grandma's house or even when my mom was baking something wonderful. This looks like a perfect weekend breakfast treat!

16. Fahad Khan September 21, 2011 at 2:53 pm - Reply

More treasure discovered by me!:-)

17. Sarah Bates April 24, 2014 at 6:26 pm - Reply

This looks SO good, Shelby! My boys would definitely love it too. I may be trying this over the weekend! 🙂