Pin It

I love poppers.  You know, those deep fried jalapeno’s with cheddar or cream cheese in them?  :o)  I just don’t love the calories.  I’ve been eyeing the recipe in Cook This, Not That for Stuffed Jalapenos.  They looked so appealing in the book I had to make them.  I knew Grumpy probably wouldn’t eat them but I still wanted to make them.  However, these were not as spicy as I expected….if spicy at all!  Maybe my heat tolerance just keeps getting stronger.  The peppers before cooking had heat but after they were cooked, I just couldn’t feel the heat like I did before cooking.  The filling?

Oh my goodness.  It is amazing.  Grumpy and I were literally eating spoons of the filling that was left over after stuffing the peppers.  He said the filling was awesome but he still wouldn’t eat a pepper, even after I told him they weren’t hot.  I think he didn’t believe me.  ;o)

These were definitely worth heating the kitchen up for however you could probably cook them on the outdoor grill also.   I traded heating the house up some rather than being outside in the heat.  At least I have AC and could go to a different part of house to keep cool – or stand near the AC vent!  I would definitely make these again.  I have never used chorizo in cooking although every time I would watch Rachel Ray use it I would think I need to try this stuff!  This recipe was my chance.  I looked for two weeks before I finally found it though.  I literally found a vegetarian version before I found the real thing!  Chirozo is some good stuff!  If you can’t find it, you could use any other type of sausage…turkey sausage would work and you can use any flavor sausage (like the Buffalo Chicken Sausage..yum!) you like in my opinion!

Cook This –>Stuffed Jalapenos
Printable Recipe
4 oz. fresh Mexican Chorizo, casings removed and crumbled
1 cup cremini mushrooms, diced
1/4 onion, minced
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1/2 cup whipped cream cheese
Salt and black pepper to taste
12 Jalapeno Peppers, split in half and seeds removed

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cook the chorizo over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until oils begin to release and sausage starts to crisp up.  Remove chorizo from skillet.  Place mushrooms and onions in skillet and saute until waters release and onions become transparent.  Return chorizo to skillet and stir to combine.  Remove from heat.

Measure out cheeses and add sausage mixture, stirring to combine.  Stuff each pepper with a spoonful of the cheese mixture and bake 15 minutes.

4 servings, 250 calories, 19 grams fat, 620 mg sodium
Compared to:  Not That–>On the Border Firecracker Stuffed Jalapenos with Original Queso – 1,950 calories , 134 grams fat, and 6,540 mg sodium in one serving!

Making this recipe saves 1700 calories!

1. Debbie July 26, 2011 at 11:46 am - Reply

I love stuffed peppers and I love poppers too! These are over the top and look delicious!

2. Drick July 26, 2011 at 12:30 pm - Reply

this is one I am going to do this weekend for Mexican nite – great appetizer

3. Lana @ Never Enough Thyme July 26, 2011 at 12:33 pm - Reply

I really love jalapeno poppers but I almost never eat them because, as you said, the calories. So it's exciting to see a great better-for-you recipe for a favorite like this! Thanks Shelby.

4. Jersey Girl Cooks July 26, 2011 at 12:35 pm - Reply

These look delicious! I have a bunch of jalapenos in my garden too.

5. bellini July 26, 2011 at 3:19 pm - Reply

I love poppers Shelby!

6. Barbara Bakes July 26, 2011 at 3:26 pm - Reply

I love poppers too. How great to have a healthier, delicious version.

7. Aggie July 26, 2011 at 11:27 pm - Reply

oh man these sound absolutely delicious!! My garden is exploding in jalapenos!

8. Kathleen July 27, 2011 at 1:08 am - Reply

Oh Shelby these look amazing!!!!

9. Pegasuslegend July 27, 2011 at 1:09 am - Reply

fantastic and calorie saving ?. bonus!

10. Kristen July 27, 2011 at 1:38 am - Reply

It's been too long since I've made stuffed peppers. What a great recipe, Shelby!

11. Quirky Jessi July 27, 2011 at 2:58 am - Reply

Ya know, I love stuffed peppers but whenever I make them, I always fight to get the stuffing inside. Piping it isn't too bad, but it's still not all that convenient. I like the idea of cutting them in half length-wise like this a lot better.

12. Lisa~~ July 27, 2011 at 3:36 am - Reply

This would be a hit in out home, looks wonderful.

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

13. Angela FRS July 27, 2011 at 3:36 am - Reply

Mmmmmm…would love to try those on the gas grill.

14. teresa July 27, 2011 at 1:28 pm - Reply

it's embarrassing to admit this, but i've never had a popper. after this post though, i want one!

15. Jason's BBQ Adventures July 27, 2011 at 3:29 pm - Reply

Definitely one of my favorite appetizers. They are great on the grill (wrapped in bacon of course). Great recipe, great pictures (as usual).

16. Corina July 27, 2011 at 7:07 pm - Reply

I love poppers too. So glad to have found a new variation!

17. Linda July 27, 2011 at 8:33 pm - Reply

I'm so glad you posted the recipe. After I saw them on your facebook page I was drooling. 😉 If Grumpy likes the stuffing, they must be good!!