Dark Chocolate Cake, Coconut Flavored Frosting, Lightly Salted Chopped Almonds all dipped in either dark or white chocolate and topped with toasted coconut flakes…..this was very sinful!
When the cake fails…..make cake balls!  At least, that is what I did!  🙂
It is that time of month again.  The time when all the members of the Secret Recipe Club finally reveal who’s blog they have been stalking and cooking/baking up a storm from!  This month I was paired with Ria of Ria’s Collection.  Ria definitely likes to bake and of course I do too!  I haven’t been baking a lot lately because I have been being a good girl and exercising and eating healthy – for the most part!
I decided that it was time for some chocolate and I knew my neighbor had been craving it too.  So, I went looking on Ria’s blog to see what she had for cake.  I found a cake that Ria’s husband had made for her (wasn’t that just sweet!).  He made Finnegan’s Chocolate Cream cake and it looked really chocolatey and yummy.  I had to make it.
So, this bundt cake I decided would be cupcakes or mini bundt cakes.  However, that is not exactly what I came out with.  The batter was yummy, it smelled awesome baking, but alas, it was not meant to be mini anything not to mention a cupcake.  It didn’t rise like a cupcake and it overflowed in the mini bundt pan.  I’m assuming if I would have done what I was told and actually baked it in a bundt pan, it would have worked!

Needless to say, I could not waste this cake!  I decided that with cake that flopped, you can always make cake balls and that I did!  I sat down and crumbled it all up and put it in my fridge until I decided what flavor I wanted to go with for the cake balls.  The major part of liquid in this cake is coffee and I loved how the coffee brought out the cocoa in the cake.  I decided that since I love almonds, salt, chocolate, and coconut….that I would make a cake ball that would incorporate these ingredients.  These turned out so good that I they had to go to work so they weren’t eaten all up by Grumpy & me!

Below is how I put my cake balls together however, for the cake recipe, please go visit Ria’s blog 🙂

Chocolate Almond Cake Balls with Toasted Coconut

Finnegan’s Chocolate Cream Cake, crumbled
1 cup lightly salted, roasted almonds, chopped (I pulsed mine in the food processor)
3 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon Almond Milk
2 teaspoons coconut extract
1-1/2 cups confectioners sugar
toasted coconut
dipping chocolate

Toss chopped almonds with crumbled cake and set aside.

Cream butter, milk, coconut extract and confectioner’s sugar until frosting becomes creamy.

Work frosting into cake crumbles using clean hands until cake comes together.  Shape into balls, dip in chocolate and top with toasted coconut.

Share with friends and coworkers and they will love you forever….or at least until the cake balls are gone!

BLOG HOP SNIPPET:

1. Deeba PAB July 18, 2011 at 11:18 am - Reply

Absolutely love the recovery Shelby…they look gorgeous!

2. Sanjeeta kk July 18, 2011 at 3:27 pm - Reply

These cute little balls look lovely..would love to pop one right away 🙂

3. amanda @ fake ginger July 18, 2011 at 3:42 pm - Reply

Way to save the cake! The cake balls looks delicious and are too cute!

4. Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking July 18, 2011 at 3:51 pm - Reply

These look great and sound like an Almond Joy! Yum!!

5. Shelby July 18, 2011 at 3:59 pm - Reply

Amanda–the almond joy was on my mind when I made these 🙂

6. Carolyn July 18, 2011 at 4:08 pm - Reply

Sorry to hear you had trouble with Ria's recipe when you tried to make it mini, but great save! Cake balls are perfect!

7. Kathleen July 18, 2011 at 6:10 pm - Reply

Shelby these look to die for!

8. Kristy July 18, 2011 at 6:40 pm - Reply

What a great idea! I would have never thought of that if my cake had failed. Those cake balls look fabulous! It reminds me of a book my son has called "The Best Mistake Ever" 🙂

9. Angie's Recipes July 18, 2011 at 6:50 pm - Reply

Beautiful way to save the cake ;-)) I love those little gems.

10. Fallon July 18, 2011 at 8:54 pm - Reply

That is SO smart to turn it into cake balls. My mouth was watering when you described the cake you were baking up. Have you tried making it again since the flop?

11. Shelby July 18, 2011 at 9:08 pm - Reply

Hey Fallon, no I haven't made it again but mainly because we aren't eating much in the way of sweets 🙂

12. LaPhemmePhoodie July 18, 2011 at 9:21 pm - Reply

I'm trying to be "good" too but it is so hard when I see fabulous ideas like this one. Great job on the recovery. I love nibbling on cake balls just as much as I love devouring a piece of cake.

13. Marla July 18, 2011 at 9:33 pm - Reply

These cake balls look awesome – love that toasted coconut. Fun to be in the SRC with you 🙂

14. Kate July 18, 2011 at 10:06 pm - Reply

Just the pictures and I am ready to make them! They look amazing and have flavors that I love…almonds, coconut and chocolate!

15. Bizzy B. Bakes July 18, 2011 at 11:08 pm - Reply

You don't have to have a cake fail to make these. They look and sound marvelous.

Isn't it wonderful when you save what could have been a disaster.

16. Lizzy July 18, 2011 at 11:32 pm - Reply

Oh, what a yummy selection for the SRC…mmmmmmmm. Beautiful and delicious!

17. Barbara Bakes July 18, 2011 at 11:52 pm - Reply

Love that you made cake balls when it didn't bake up like expected. They look great.

18. Jeanette July 19, 2011 at 12:28 am - Reply

From your pretty pictures I would never have guessed that your cake flopped – these look like little bon bons, what a nice treat!

19. Shumaila July 19, 2011 at 1:06 am - Reply

I think cake balls are a great way to having your cake and eating it too!

I have also turned a failed muffin recipe into cake balls:

Love you version! Thanks for sharing your "success" with cake balls!

20. Lisa~~ July 19, 2011 at 2:26 am - Reply

A perfect solution and so cute to boot.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Holy Guacamole.

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

21. Tami July 19, 2011 at 2:31 am - Reply

Great save! You came up with a decadent treat. When life hands you a flopped cake…make cake balls! 🙂

22. BigFatBaker July 19, 2011 at 3:31 am - Reply

Love that rule of thumb: if a cake fails, make cake balls. I will definitely remember that.
    As for these balls, they sounds delicious! I love the different flavor combinations and layers. Great job!

23. Cookin' Canuck July 19, 2011 at 4:32 am - Reply

Now that's the way to save a cake! These are the perfect little treats.

24. honeyb July 19, 2011 at 5:18 am - Reply

Ooh, those look de-lish!

25. Melanie July 19, 2011 at 9:38 am - Reply

What an awesome save! I have a feeling I would have just eaten the crumbs out of the pan instead of turning it into something so lovely!

26. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 19, 2011 at 10:24 am - Reply

your balls looks amazing!

i make nobake cake batter chocolate truffle bites and although I intended to create the recipe that i did, i love that you created something amazing that you didnt even plan for!

thx for the compliments on my SRC PB Cookies, too!

27. Aggie July 19, 2011 at 1:03 pm - Reply

mistakes like that should happen more often! 🙂

Looks amazing!! I love almond anything…oh AND coconut!

28. Peggy July 19, 2011 at 2:12 pm - Reply

You definitely turned an almost bad situation into a great one! I look at it as, in cake-ball form – you can eat more in moderation =)

29. Linda July 19, 2011 at 2:34 pm - Reply

I'm kinda glad you messed up because my husband would totally love these. What a great idea!! I'm printing this out to make for him. 🙂

I hope to join you in Secret Recipe Club in August!

30. Shelby July 19, 2011 at 2:38 pm - Reply

Linda, I bet Grumpy and my co-workers were glad I messed up too! They went over so well! Look forward to you joining us!

31. Delishhh July 19, 2011 at 8:26 pm - Reply

Just awesome – Looks so good.

32. Kim - Liv Life July 20, 2011 at 1:42 am - Reply

I think I love everything about these little guys! Lately I've really been turning to the individual desserts rather than a big cake or pie to cut apart. Nicely done! Printed and on top of the pile!

33. April July 20, 2011 at 12:27 pm - Reply

That is a great way to save the cake! They look wonderful!

34. Vivian - Let's Try These... July 20, 2011 at 3:08 pm - Reply

What a way to make something yummy from a mistake. Great job!

35. Pretend Chef July 21, 2011 at 12:42 am - Reply

What a great way to save the cake and cover up an oops. I wouldn't have thought of that. I will need to remember this idea. These cake balls look so delicious. Yummy!

36. Kelly @ Eat Yourself Skinny July 21, 2011 at 1:40 am - Reply

These are soo cute and look super delicious!! 🙂

37. MrsJenB July 22, 2011 at 6:39 pm - Reply

Awesome thinking! I need to be more creative, obviously 🙂

38. When life crumbles your cake… make cake balls! Love the flavors you chose.

39. E.K.R July 25, 2011 at 10:27 pm - Reply

How creative!! Love how you turned that around. Those look absolutely delish. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such kind comments. 🙂

40. Amy July 29, 2011 at 12:35 am - Reply

When life hands you lemons…

Great idea making cake balls out of a flop. Love it!

Amy @ A Little Nosh