Buffalo and Blue Cheese Stuffed Button Mushrooms
Buffalo and Blue Cheese Stuffed Button Mushrooms

I love it when something new comes my way.  The flavors aren’t new – but the concept of this mushroom is!  A few weeks ago I picked up the Taste of Home Cooking School magazine.  In it was the recipe for this mushroom.  I knew as soon as I saw it that I would be making it!

There are a lot of new things going on lately.  We have been living in Albany now for about 5 months.  I cannot believe it has been that long already.  Pretty much the winter season….and of course, wouldn’t you know….Albany gets more snow that they have in a long time this year.  It figures!  I go where I think it may not be as nasty only to have one of the snowiest season’s in Albany, NY this year!  Oh yes, I was talking about new things!  Grumpy and I decided that we wanted to continue to renovate the home we own up north of us, even though we aren’t living in it.  We did have it for sale however, since our contract is up and there was not even a serious offer, we decided to take it off the market.  This home is now the home of my youngest son!  We had renovated the bathroom before we knew we were moving and the next room would have been the kitchen.  Well, it still was the kitchen because in the last month on the weekends we went home and did the job!  Below is the product of our hard work and I am so jealous that Christopher gets to use this kitchen while my duplex is a tiny little space!

Before
Our quaint old farmhouse…and I do mean old….I think no work had been done in at least 30 years!
Buffalo and Blue Cheese Stuffed Button Mushrooms
After
It is still a country kitchen, but much brighter, updated and shiny new!
Buffalo and Blue Cheese Stuffed Button Mushrooms

I have to give Grumpy the credit for how it looks – other than the color of the wall and the floor tiles – I chose the wall color and we chose the floor tiles together.  This country home sits on 10 acres of land with no other house in site.  I am sure going to miss sitting on our front porch after work this summer enjoying the nature around me!

So, in all things old and new, when you mix something new with the old you can come out with something amazing.  Like my kitchen and these stuffed mushrooms!  Enjoy!

Buffalo and Blue Cheese Stuffed Button Mushrooms
Author: Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Ingredients
  • 20 button mushrooms
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 pound reduced fat blue cheese, crumbled
  • 1 tablespoon Saucy Mama Hot Wing Sauce (or use your favorite hot sauce)
  • 1/2 cup panko plus 1/4 cup, divided
  • Cooking Spray
Instructions
  1. Place rack in the upper third of the oven.  Preheat oven to 375.  Clean mushrooms and remove stems.  Cut ends from stems and chop finely.  Chop two of the mushrooms finely as well.  Melt butter in a saucepan over medium low heat.  Saute until onions are translucent and then add chopped mushrooms and stems.  saute until softened and remove pan from heat.  Stir in blue cheese, hot sauce, and 1/2 cup panko.  Stir until smooth.
  2. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.  Fill each mushroom cap with a spoonful of cheese stuffing, letting it mound just slightly.  Sprinkle the remaining panko over the top.  Bake for 18-20 minutes, until the mushrooms are soft.  Broil for 1-2 minutes until tops are crisp.  Serve with additional hot sauce if desired.

1. Pegasuslegend April 6, 2011 at 12:18 am - Reply

This is genius girlfriend… cant wait to show hubby he will stone me to make them… will have to try next time I am off love them!

2. Shelby April 6, 2011 at 12:25 am - Reply

Claudia, I am not sure if you can eat shallots, but the original recipe calls for them, in any case, you don't have to add onions!

3. honeyb April 6, 2011 at 12:41 am - Reply

Love stuffed mushrooms!
    And your kitchen looks awesome–great change!

4. Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food April 6, 2011 at 1:02 am - Reply

A great post, a wonderful recipe (as alway), and love the kitchen renovation. How jealous of your son you must be that he gets to enjoy all that bright, new (and big!) kitchen space. I hope you taught him all your kitchen chops!

5. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen April 6, 2011 at 1:28 am - Reply

I love stuffed mushrooms, these look super!

6. RebekahRose April 6, 2011 at 1:29 am - Reply

Those look beautimous! I've never actually gotten around to trying stuffed mushrooms – but they sure look FANTASTIC!! 🙂

7. ann@Apples and Twinkies April 6, 2011 at 1:44 am - Reply

These stuffed mushrooms look so great. I know we would all love those in my family!

8. marla April 6, 2011 at 12:44 pm - Reply

Your kitchen looks awesome as do these mushrooms!

9. Caroline April 6, 2011 at 1:06 pm - Reply

These mushrooms look fantastic – as does your kitchen! Congratulations on all your 'new' things!

10. Aggie April 6, 2011 at 5:05 pm - Reply

Your kitchen is beautiful! I love the white, looks so fresh and bright!

What a great version of stuffed mushrooms!! Seriously yum.

11. Saucy Mama April 6, 2011 at 6:38 pm - Reply

Yummy! Such a clever idea. Thanks for the mention, Shelby! We <3 you.

-Saucy Mama

12. Kristen April 6, 2011 at 8:54 pm - Reply

Those sound like my kind of mushrooms. I would never have thought to combine those flavors in a stuffing, but I love it!

13. Flourchild April 6, 2011 at 9:22 pm - Reply

Oh Shelby I could not stand not being able to use that wonderfully big bright kitchen!!! You all did an excellent job redoing it!! I love it! Im glad you got to keep the house in the family:)
    the mushrooms look tasty!!

14. teresa April 6, 2011 at 10:07 pm - Reply

i HAVE to have those mushrooms, wow! they look fantastic!

15. sweetpeaskitchen.com April 7, 2011 at 3:11 am - Reply

Oh man!! You had me at stuffed mushrooms. But buffalo and blue cheese stuffed mushrooms…love it!! I need to make these, I know my husband will go crazy! 🙂

16. Vickie LeBlanc April 7, 2011 at 11:22 am - Reply

I love stuffed mushrooms. I am so going to make this recipe. I never commented on your kitchen post but I wanted to tell you that I just love, love your kitchen. So bright and crisp. Still enjoying your blog.

17. SMITH BITES April 7, 2011 at 11:58 am - Reply

you two need to pat yourselves on the back – that kitchen is gorgeous – and so are those mushrooms!!

18. Nutmeg Nanny April 7, 2011 at 4:09 pm - Reply

The mushrooms look great and so does the kitchen! I'm loving how cheery and bright it looks.

19. 5 Star Foodie April 7, 2011 at 8:47 pm - Reply

Fantastic looking stuffed mushrooms! I like the use of panko and so delicious with the blue cheese!

20. nanny April 8, 2011 at 7:04 pm - Reply

Your kitchen makeover is great!!! and oh to live with no other house in sight….I'd love it!
    The mushrooms sound wonderful!

21. Kathleen April 8, 2011 at 9:37 pm - Reply

Congrats! What a beautiful kitchen! The mushrooms looks really tasty Too!

22. Megan April 9, 2011 at 3:14 pm - Reply

I love the new kitchen! It is so bright and cheery. I'm jealous your son gets to live there too. I, too, have a itty bitty kitchen. But these mushrooms look fantastic! I love blue cheese and would have never thought to put them it in a stuffed mushroom. Yummy! 🙂

23. Delishhh April 10, 2011 at 6:05 am - Reply

Love Love the kitchen, we are doing our kitchen too and it is going to be white 🙂 And those mushrooms look fabulous.

24. Patsyk April 13, 2011 at 4:04 pm - Reply

Oh, how I love those flavors together! Simply delicious and I don't know if many would hit the table to be shared with others if I made them!