Thank you for visiting! If you like this post, please don’t forget to stumble!
Pin It

Life is never boring with Grumpy.  Aggravating as hell sometimes, but never boring.  If you are one of my facebook friends, you have seen me post the links for the Valentine’s day posts over the last 3 years.  February 2007 I was heartbroken.  Grumpy forgot me on Valentine’s day.  February 2008 Grumpy made up for it then in February 2009 he felt the pressure because I had blogged the year before and knew people would wonder what he did.  February 2010 I didn’t want to make a deal of the day at all.  We had a rough year and we were broke and I reassured him all I wanted was for us to be happy and healthy.

This year I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I knew he probably wouldn’t forget it – since we could afford it….and forget he did not

Grumpy wasn’t going to make it easy on me this year – while the gift was wrapped in regular paper, it was wrapped inside of that regular paper entirely in duct tape and electrical tape.  I knew when I saw how he had wrapped it he had the whole tihng planned and that was why he asked me on Friday if I wanted my gift…but  I told him I could wait!  Then on Saturday he brought the gift out to the living room and sat it on our dry bar.  Of course, he knew, putting temptation in front of me was going to work.  It always does!  SO, I decided to open it…and found out that opening it was going to take me some time!  ha!
So, Grumpy did it again.  He went above and beyond.  I  never expected the iPod Touch.  I know those of you who hang out with me on Facebook knew how jealous I was of his, but I had resigned myself to waiting until it was time to go with the new phone plan and I was just going to get myself an awesome phone and had let it go.  Grumpy didn’t as you can well see.  ;o)
So today when I was making cupcakes for a Valentine Bakesale at work I made a few extras for Grumpy.   Grumpy insisted I didn’t buy him anything because he has gotten quite a few things for himself lately as it was….but I can at least make sure he is well fed.  ;o)

Chocolate Chocolate Cupcakes

adapted from Dorie Greenspan’s Baking From My Home to Yours

Ingredients:
1 cups flour
1/4 cup Hershey’s Cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
3 ounces Lindt Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt, melted and cooled
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line cupcake tin with paper liners.
Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Set aside.
With hand mixer, mix butter and sugar until creamy.  Blend in vanilla extract.  Mix 1/2 flour mixture with batter until just blended.  Mix in buttermilk then mix in remaining flour mixture until just blended.  Fold in melted dark chocolate.
Scoop batter into cupcake liners and bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into center of cake.  Cook and decorate with your favorite frosting!

1. Tracy February 14, 2011 at 12:07 am - Reply

awww … enjoy your new toy!

2. Deeba PAB February 14, 2011 at 12:08 am - Reply

This is just too cool.♥ it Shelby! Mr Grumpy is much like Mr PAB…over & beyond. Mmmm those chocolate cupcakes from DG look yum!

3. Pegasuslegend February 14, 2011 at 12:13 am - Reply

What's not to love these are perfect! Happy V day to you and your loving Grumpy! Have an awesome romantic evening together!

4. vanillasugar February 14, 2011 at 12:18 am - Reply

aww
    shel, that was a nice post to read. i think i stumbled you. lol think being the operative word here

5. ann February 14, 2011 at 2:17 am - Reply

Cupcakes look really wonderful! Grumpy did very well this year.

6. ajcabuang04 February 14, 2011 at 2:27 am - Reply

That was really sweet!! 🙂 Happy Valentine's day! Btw, those cupcakes look delish!!

7. Kristen February 14, 2011 at 12:28 pm - Reply

How fun for you! It's fun to read about husbands going over and beyond.

8. bellini valli February 14, 2011 at 12:34 pm - Reply

Lucky you Shelby. I hope you have a wonderful day with the man in your life!

9. teresa February 14, 2011 at 1:33 pm - Reply

aw, how sweet! way to go grumpy! love the cupcakes!

10. Fallon February 14, 2011 at 1:59 pm - Reply

What a fun surprise!

The cupcakes look delicious and a great way to celebrate V-Day!

11. briarrose February 14, 2011 at 2:07 pm - Reply

So sweet! The cupcakes look delicious.

12. Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" February 14, 2011 at 11:03 pm - Reply

Whoo hoo!! What a great gift! Well done Grumpy! =)

13. Delishhh February 14, 2011 at 11:52 pm - Reply

So cute! Happy Valentines Day!

14. honeyb February 15, 2011 at 12:14 am - Reply

Fun phone! I need an upgrade, but just keep letting my husband get it. sigh 😉

15. polwig February 15, 2011 at 1:40 am - Reply

Fun Toy.. I can't believe he wrapped it in duct tape, what a pain… Oh Grumpy… he did really good

16. Michelle February 15, 2011 at 6:34 am - Reply

WOW…Grumpy did great! What a fabulous gift!

Love the polka dog cupcakes…very cute!

17. Mads February 15, 2011 at 5:40 pm - Reply

Grumpy done good!
    I love Valentine's Day and it's so cute to see other couples go all out. 🙂

18. Barbara Bakes February 15, 2011 at 8:04 pm - Reply

So glad Grumpy made your day! I'm sure you made his with the cupcakes.

19. SMITH BITES February 15, 2011 at 9:02 pm - Reply

i'd say Grumpy did pretty darn good!!! LOVE the duct tape – that is something my FIL would do!!!

20. Mrs. L February 15, 2011 at 11:00 pm - Reply

You'll love your new toy!
    And seeing those cupcakes just makes me wish that we could actually get silver dragees here in California…it's illegal to buy or sell them here.

21. marla February 15, 2011 at 11:14 pm - Reply

Congrats on a super fun Valentine and special day! The iPad touch must be so cool. The chocolate cupcakes look delish.

22. Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes] February 16, 2011 at 10:26 am - Reply

Way to go Grumpy!! Seems like you had an awesome V day!

23. megan @ whatmegansmaking February 16, 2011 at 1:15 pm - Reply

aw, what a sweet gift! And the cupcakes look absolutely wonderful!

24. tamilyn February 16, 2011 at 3:59 pm - Reply

Sweet! I would love one, but I have a Nano so I really don't need one and I have my eye on a Nook….. now, how will he top it next year….?

25. Cristine February 16, 2011 at 5:39 pm - Reply

You can't go wrong with chocolate cupcakes! 🙂 Enjoy your new IPod!

26. Megan February 16, 2011 at 9:09 pm - Reply

An IPad? How cool is that? I got a plant. :/

27. Shelby February 17, 2011 at 1:25 am - Reply

LOL, Awww, Megan. Well, Grumpy feels pressure probably because I blog everything….and he can't look bad! ha ha.

I don't know how he will top it next year…but what I didn't tell everyone was that he DID buy me a new car right before I moved to be with him in Albany….so that is pretty good too…I am not someone who "wants" for much, so when he realized how much I wanted this…then he got it. I just need to "want" something equally awesome next year. ;0)

28. Linda February 20, 2011 at 12:47 pm - Reply

Shelby, Grumpy is a hoot – he did good. 🙂 Love those pics of you – you look great!

29. Katherine Martinelli February 12, 2012 at 6:11 am - Reply

So sweet! Thanks for linking up at my v-day blog hop 🙂

30. […] He shows them through actions and sometimes he likes to be tricky about it! Like hiding a gift in his lunch box for me to find, or wrapping the present in duct tape! […]