These Date Scones are sweet biscuits filled with chopped Medjool dates, maple syrup, and dusted with coarse sugar crystals prior to baking. They are deliciously sweet and tender scones perfect for a morning brunch or afternoon tea.

Scones are the perfect recipe to serve guests for an afternoon tea or to offer up to your family as part of a weekend brunch. These Date Scones have a deep caramel-like flavor with sweet pieces of dates that melt in your mouth with every bite.

A Date Scone on a white plate with the rest of the scones in the background

Making recipes with Date – nature’s candy

I am a big date fan, my most favorite candy being my Great Aunt Helga’s Candied Dates recipe. So, when I started thinking about making a scone recently, my mind went to dates and wondering how they would turn out in a scone.

I had just purchased a large box of Medjool dates and decided to go ahead and give it a try. I am so glad I did! These scones were so delicious I didn’t want to stop eating them!

Fully baked and scored date scones on parchment paper

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links.

What you need to make Date Scones

Medjool Dates are a large, very sweet, delicious fresh fruit. They are harvested from the date palm and are not processed. Many people think they are a dried fruit due to their texture, however, that is not the case.

Maple Extract: I use the maple extract to enhance the dark sugar flavors of this scone.

Pure Maple Syrup: The flavors of maple and dates complement each other well, so rather than sugar, I used maple syrup as a sweetener.

Pastry Blender: Using a pastry blender to combine the flour and butter together is my preferred way to mix the fat with the flour mixture and is the best way to be sure you’re not overmixing the dough.

Baked Date Scones on parchment paper

Tips for the best Date Scone dough

• Don’t use a heavy hand when measuring the flour. Stir the flour in the storage container, then lightly spoon into the measuring cup and level it off without tapping.
  • Be sure you do not over mix or over knead the scone dough. Doing so will cause it to be tough.
  • Stir the chopped dates into the flour mixture after the butter has been worked in. The loose flour will coat the dates and prevent them from sticking together.
  • When scoring the scones (prior to baking), be sure to not cut all the way thru. Once the scones have been scored, they will be kept together and baked as is.
Dates tossed with the butter/flour mixture

Make this Date Scone Recipe your own

• Swap out the maple syrup for brown sugar
  • Use vanilla extract in place of maple extract
  • Instead of sugar crystals, leave them plain, or make the maple icing drizzle from this Banana Walnut Muffin recipe to drizzle over the top.
Scored Date Scones

More scone recipes you may want to try

These Date Scones are delicious and I highly recommend you make these. I also have a few other scone flavors that I recommend that you try.

Maple Scones are sweetened with only maple sugar and are a delicious moist scone that is perfect for a spring brunch.

Blueberry Scones are bursting with fresh blueberries and drizzled with a lemon icing.

Mini Caramel Coconut Chip Scones are delicious little bites of scones with the flavors of caramel, coconut, and chocolate.

Pumpkin Scones are a delicious fall scone recipe topped with a two-toned pumpkin spice glaze.

Easy Orange Cranberry Scones are perfect for the winter holiday season with the flavors of orange and cranberry bursting through this delicate dough.

Date Scones
Yield: 8

Date Scones

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes

A tender and sweet scone filled with dates and sprinkled with a coarse sugar topping.

Ingredients

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into chunks
  • 1/2 cup chopped dates
  • 1/2 cup half & half
  • 3 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon heavy cream (optional)
  • Coarse sugar crystals (optional)

Instructions

1. Place the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine ingredients.
  2. Add the butter pieces and using a pastry blender, work the butter into the dough until small pea-sized crumbs form.
  3. Stir in the chopped dates and toss to coat with flour mixture.
  4. Pour the half and half, maple syrup, and maple extract into the flour mixture.  Stir until the mixture begins to form a dough. Turn out onto a countertop and gently fold in remaining dry ingredients until the dough starts to take some shape.
  5. Flatten out into a circle on a pastry-lined baking sheet!  Being careful to not overwork the dough.
  6. Cut the scone dough into 8 pieces, being careful to not cut all the way through the dough.
  7. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 25 minutes or until scones have lightly browned.
  8. Remove from the oven and cool slightly and enjoy while still warm.

Nutrition Information

Yield

Amount Per Serving Calories 241Total Fat 9.1gSaturated Fat 5.6gSodium 565mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 1.7gSugar 11gProtein 4.1g

Did you make this recipe?

Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Instagram

1. Pegasuslegend January 15, 2011 at 4:45 pm - Reply

I am a lover of scones of all kinds, have tried many and was just introduced to them online through Jeroxie incident party. Since then I have become addicted and now another new one to try! These look fabulous Shelby and the end results are amazing…love the dates, had seen them on Ryan's blog as well…what a great use of these chinese dates!

2. marla January 16, 2011 at 1:57 am - Reply

I love dates & your scones look delicious!

3. Sheila January 16, 2011 at 11:35 am - Reply

They look delicious! I will have to add this recipe to my file. Have a great day. 🙂

4. Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food January 16, 2011 at 11:45 am - Reply

Whenever I read you blog my first thought is what a lucky fellow Grumpy is. Offer one of these to me and I promise I will say "yes, please!" Scones are such a great breakfast or afternoon treat and the addition of dates is such a delicious innovation.

5. SMITH BITES January 16, 2011 at 2:52 pm - Reply

LOVE these type of scones – cup of coffee or tea? yes please!

6. Foodiva January 16, 2011 at 2:56 pm - Reply

Yes, Grumpy really has no reason to be grumpy with all this good food you're churning up in your kitchen! It's been a while since I've made scones (the last ones were pink and purple!) but your scrumptious date scones reminded me that maybe I should bake some again soon. Thanks for stopping by my site with your kind words, btw. I really appreciate having new readers come by!

7. LeAnn January 16, 2011 at 4:06 pm - Reply

Yum. I like dates too, but I rarely use them. My aunt and uncle say that my husband is a French cat. Now, I've not been to France and I don't know much about cats, but they say that where they stayed, the cats got fed the best goodies and got spoiled and picky. So maybe Grumpy is a French Cat. Just a thought.

8. teresa January 16, 2011 at 8:15 pm - Reply

i'm so unfamiliar with dates, but this sounds and looks amazing!

• Anonymous June 26, 2013 at 11:28 pm - Reply

Dates are wonderful in baking. I use dates instead of raisins in cookies and they almost taste like caramel.Try them, I think you will like them…
      Rita (Dakota12000) Pinterest

9. Tiffany January 17, 2011 at 2:51 am - Reply

I love your use of maple sugar!

10. Kate @ Diethood.com January 17, 2011 at 3:02 am - Reply

Lucky Grumpy! I'd love to have a bite of those scones. Thank you for a new scones recipe to try!

11. Cakewhiz January 17, 2011 at 7:22 am - Reply

My dad really enjoys eating dates….i am sure he would be over the moon when i make this for him. Thanks for sharing the recipe 🙂

12. Confectionary Designs January 17, 2011 at 1:04 pm - Reply

Looks like these baked up wonderfully with a perfect brown top. The addition of the dates must really make this special.

13. Cajun Chef Ryan January 17, 2011 at 3:32 pm - Reply

Shelby,
    I love scones, and you already know how I feel about dates!

So glad I could inspire you in this recipe!

Pass the Devonshire Cream please…

14. Lizzy January 17, 2011 at 3:52 pm - Reply

Grumpy sounds like my dh…he was skeptical about my first scones, but ended up loving them! I haven't baked with dates in a LONG time…yum! I think I'll put them on my shopping list~

15. Megan January 17, 2011 at 5:00 pm - Reply

I love dates too and these look terrific. Now I want a date shake and a date scone! 😉

16. Steph January 17, 2011 at 5:49 pm - Reply

What a great recipe! Scones are so yummy, and I'm sure the sweet jeweled dates add just the right touch!

17. Anonymous January 20, 2011 at 1:31 am - Reply

Hi Shelby, took a while to find your blog. You are still one of the BEST writers out there, and I gain 5 pounds just looking at the pics you post. I am making these date treats tomorrow!!!

Cranberry Ed

18. Shelby January 20, 2011 at 1:38 am - Reply

Hey Ed, I'm glad you found me! Thank you for the compliment and enjoy the scones!

19. The Honey Nut January 22, 2011 at 6:28 pm - Reply

your date scones look wonderful! My favorite kind is cranberry orange scones but I will have to try these too!!

20. The Mom Chef January 24, 2011 at 9:08 pm - Reply

Your scones are amazing, no matter what's in them. How perfect they look. The dates only add to the beauty.