Thank you for visiting! If you like this post, please don’t forget to stumble!
Pin It

There hasn’t been a whole lot of cooking going on here lately.  A lot of packing and getting ready for our move which is happening real soon! (Like this Saturday!) I worked my last day at Clarkson University last Friday.  It still doesn’t seem real – that I have left a job I have done for almost 14 years.  I guess when I start my new job in a few weeks it will feel more real!

I’ve been trying some new recipes lately with some new ingredients that I haven’t had a lot of experience with!  One of the new foods to me is Quinoa.  I now know why people love this pretty little high protein grain! (you can get this grain in red, white, and black colors!) Filling, great for you and when fixed this way, super flavorful!  The original recipe comes from the Veganomicon cookbook.  I made this with a few of my own changes and let me tell you….I could eat this stuff breakfast, lunch, and dinner!  Try it out for yourself, you will not regret it!

Chickpea-Quinoa Pilaf
adapted from Veganomicon

1 medium white onion, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon coriander, crushed
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3/4 cup quinoa (I used red for color contrast)
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
11/2 cups water
2 teaspoons vegetable better than bouillon paste

Saute onions and garlic in olive oil until onions are soft.  Add cumin and coriander seeds and saute a couple if minutes.  Add salt, pepper, and tomato paste.  Stir and cook one minute.  Add Quinoa and saute about 2 minutes.  Stir in chickpeas, water, and vegetable paste.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until Quinoa has soaked up the liquids.

This is excellent warm or cold!

1. Cristine October 11, 2010 at 12:47 pm - Reply

Looks yummy!

Good luck with the move! 🙂

2. bellini valli October 11, 2010 at 12:56 pm - Reply

Good luck with your move Shelby! I look forward to following you in this new chapter of your life.

3. Jamie October 11, 2010 at 1:42 pm - Reply

I have yet to try quinoa but want to. Best of luck to you with the move and your new job and new everything!

4. Tracy October 11, 2010 at 2:45 pm - Reply

Good luck with your move and your new job! Quinoa seems to be a "hot" ingredient these days. One of these days I'll try it.

5. Fallon October 11, 2010 at 3:13 pm - Reply

Sounds delicious!

6. Pegasuslegend October 11, 2010 at 5:10 pm - Reply

good luck with the move I know what a stressfull time that is!

7. Mags @ the Other Side of 50 October 11, 2010 at 6:20 pm - Reply

Looks delicious. I LOVE quinoa. I kept staring at the photo wondering what else was in that dish and it wasn't until I read the directions that I saw the chickpeas. Did you use one can?

8. Shelby October 11, 2010 at 6:39 pm - Reply

Oh Mags, I am way outta blogging practice! LOL. Yes. When I typed up the recipe I forgot to add the chickpeas – it is one can. I've fixed the recipe too. Thanks!

9. QuinoaDietTips October 11, 2010 at 7:46 pm - Reply

I love pilafs but I never tried it with quinoa.
    It's healthy but a filling dish.
    I'll definitely try it.
    Thanks a lot for sharing it:)

10. Aggie October 11, 2010 at 10:56 pm - Reply

I'm all over this Shelby. Saw you mention it on FB and have been thinking of it since!! Looks delicious! Good luck with your move!

11. vanillasugar October 12, 2010 at 1:07 am - Reply

shelby!!! are you all moved now? gosh we moved almost 7 months ago and it was a mightmare…i hope your move was UNeventful.
    i love high protein grains too. I need them for breakfast to hold me back from eating pounds of chocolate. lol

12. Jenny October 12, 2010 at 3:35 am - Reply

Great looking recipe Shelby!! Best of luck on your move!

13. Cheryl October 12, 2010 at 3:56 pm - Reply

Wow, I bought a huge bag of the stuff from Costco and still have no idea what to do with it. Thank you!

14. Kathleen October 12, 2010 at 5:56 pm - Reply

Shelby this sounds delish! I just bought some quinoa and had no idea what I was going to do with it! Good luck with your move!!! 😉

15. Megan October 13, 2010 at 12:30 am - Reply

I love quinoa too and you made into such a lovely dish!

16. Linda October 13, 2010 at 3:08 am - Reply

That is a beautiful dish, Shelby–I'm going to have to try it sometime!

17. lapetitepancake October 14, 2010 at 2:27 am - Reply

Moving is hectic, but I always find it invigorating! Love exploring new towns and meeting new people.

Quinoa is one of my faves. I like chopping a variety of bell peppers, cucumber, and tomato, then topping it with feta cheese and Italian salad dressing.
    The EASIEST!

Although, it's SO expensive. Have you found it anywhere for cheap?

I think it was something like 13 bucks a box!!!

18. Shelby October 14, 2010 at 9:11 am - Reply

Thanks everyone!

Dawn, I will be moving SATURDAY! Finally! Last night was Grumpy's last night in a hotel. 🙂 He will be home tonight.

Lapetitepancake, quinoa IS expensive but so worth it. I bought a bag (a pound I think)of it at a local natural food store for $8 (the red). White is a little cheaper and black costs about the same as red. Bob's Red Mill sells it also – probably about the same price.

19. Shu Han April 21, 2011 at 2:56 pm - Reply

I love quinoa too! I liek to use it in place of couscous (:

20. marla June 13, 2011 at 11:15 am - Reply

Shelby, we would love if you submitted this quinoa to the side dish week of the Get Grillin' event I am hosting now 🙂

21. Anonymous October 7, 2019 at 5:18 pm - Reply