Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Craving a cookie and wanting to make something without eggs, I found this recipe on Food.com for a chocolate chip cookie made with spelt flour.  I love using spelt flour.  I’ve used it often recently in things like banana bread and muffins and they always turn out so nice!

This cookie sounded promising  It was sweetened with maple syrup, made with Smart Balance Chunky Peanut Butter and no eggs.  🙂  It wasn’t entirely vegan because I didn’t use vegan chocolate chips – but I’m not that picky!  🙂  I was not disappointed.  The only problem I had with these cookies was I could not stop eating them.  I took them to work to get rid of them and still got into them.  Bad me!  You don’t have to not be eating eggs or dairy to make these in any way – you actually should make them because they are good for you AND yummy!  You just need to exercise more self control than I did over them.  😉

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Author: adapted from food.com
Ingredients
  • 1- 1/2 cups Smart Balance Crunchy Peanut butter
  • 2 1/4 cups spelt flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups maple syrup
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Place peanut butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave on high power for about 30-45 seconds, or until the peanut butter is melted, stirring once or twice as it heats
  3. In large bowl add flour, baking soda, and salt. Add peanut butter, maple syrup, and vanilla and stir until blended. Fold in the chocolate chips.
  4. Drop dough onto the prepared baking sheet, allowing about 2 tbsp for each cookie. Flatten slightly.
  5. Bake 15-17 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool for about 5 minutes on the cookie sheet. Transfer to a wire rack and allow them to cool completely.

1. Pegasuslegend September 25, 2010 at 10:39 pm - Reply

never had anything like these would love to try them love the healthy cookies and sure they taste awesome! They sure look fantastic!

2. Tupper Cooks! September 25, 2010 at 10:49 pm - Reply

Nice- send some this way!

3. Pamela September 26, 2010 at 12:48 am - Reply

They look outstanding! It's not a surprise that you had a tough time with the self control based on looks alone. ;o)

4. Fallon September 26, 2010 at 5:20 am - Reply

Yum!!! I wouldn't picky about chocolate chips either ;). I just picked up spelt flour and can't wait to try it in some cookies I plan on making.

5. bellini valli September 26, 2010 at 12:05 pm - Reply

Who wouldn't eat more than just one chocolate chip cookie!

6. Megan September 26, 2010 at 3:33 pm - Reply

A cookie that is good for me? I'll have to make these for a vegan friend and leave just a few here for me. They look great!
    Hope everything is going well for you! Have a great Sunday!

7. moderncomfortfood September 26, 2010 at 4:45 pm - Reply

Yummo, Shelby! If you ever decide you want "to get rid of them" again, please let me know. I'm always ready to help out.

8. lapetitepancake September 26, 2010 at 4:53 pm - Reply

These look tasty!

Does spelt flour add some nutritional value or what's the low-down?
    Is there a big taste difference?

I'm tempted to try whole wheat flour, but maybe spelt flour is where it's at.

9. ajcabuang04 September 26, 2010 at 8:04 pm - Reply

Yay for cookies that are good for you! ha. Sounds delicious!

10. Shelby September 26, 2010 at 8:27 pm - Reply

lapetitepancake – here is a good article on what spelt flour is. http://bakingbites.com/2008/04/what-is-spelt-flour/

11. Mags September 27, 2010 at 1:34 am - Reply

I love using spelt flour too. Going to have to give these cookies a try….then ship them off to the co-irkers too!

12. Amanda September 27, 2010 at 10:06 pm - Reply

oh I bet those were marvelous, they look amazing!

13. Cristine September 28, 2010 at 1:37 am - Reply

CCC's are the best! 🙂

14. pigpigscorner September 28, 2010 at 9:46 am - Reply

Well at least it's a healthier cookie =)

15. Cheryl September 28, 2010 at 5:42 pm - Reply

Those look and sound yummy!

16. Leslie October 4, 2010 at 10:05 pm - Reply

I have never used spelt flour. I love bread made with it! I suppose I should pick me up some! Love the cookies

17. Helene October 6, 2010 at 1:37 pm - Reply

I would lose my control over your cookies also. Good luck with your move.

18. Rita October 7, 2010 at 1:16 pm - Reply

Great discovery a healthy cookie and with chocolate chips! love it, nowI have to look for spelt flour.

19. Rita October 7, 2010 at 1:19 pm - Reply

I do love the title of your blog; guess why….
    Rita