Fluffy Blueberry Pancakes

Blueberry Pancakes are thick fluffy little breakfast cakes with a nice little hint of lemon. They are delicious topped with some butter, pure maple syrup, and heck, even more blueberries!

The Grumpy household usually will enjoy this breakfast cake pleasure on the weekends. Pancakes have always been a request from Grumpy. Granted, he usually wants his without the blueberries, but because it is my favorite, sometimes he gets them anyway!

A stack of 3 blueberry pancakes topped with maple syrup and a section cut out and on a fork.

The best weekend breakfast or brunch option!

Weekends are a time for people to wind down and relax. For us, it means getting up later and taking our time to get to breakfast. The weekdays are so full of hustle and bustle that taking the time to make fresh blueberry pancakes is not in the cards. So, when the weekend rolls around, we take our time and enjoy some nice thick pancakes!

We love our pancakes nice and fluffy. I love seeing the pancake rise up, getting nice and thick after I flip it on the griddle! Grumpy is not the biggest fan of blueberries in his pancakes. I think there is something wrong with that picture because I love to have as many blueberries as possible in mine! When I revised this recipe, I added some lemon to it. Turned out the lemon complimented the blueberries perfectly in this pancake recipe!

A stack of 3 pancakes on a white plate with blueberries and bacon.
My original photo of these pancakes when I first posted this recipe! Just as delicious then as they are now!

FAQ’s about Blueberry Pancakes

How do you make the fluffiest pancakes?

First, you do not beat the pancake batter. Treat them more like a muffin and just fold the ingredients together until the dry ingredients are incorporated completely. To have light and fluffy pancakes, you want to be gentle.

Do I have to fold in egg whites to make my pancakes fluffy?

Nope. It’s not an option to overlook, but completely not necessary. I grew up with my mother doing this. I have also done it. I don’t see a difference so I don’t bother with it. Its extra work in my opinion.

How do I know when my pancake is ready to flip over?

A pancake is ready to turn over on your griddle when the top begins to bubble and looks like it has started to cook through. If you flip it too soon, you will have wet batter spatter and likely a pancake that didn’t cook through.

Can I substitute frozen blueberries for fresh in my pancakes?

Yes, just do not thaw them first. Add them frozen. I usually add them to my batter if I use frozen, but you can add them individually to the pancake after you have place the pancake on the griddle.

Can I freeze my pancakes after they are cooked?

Yes! Freezing pancakes are a great way to enjoy them all week long. Just place a piece of wax paper between each pancake to keep them from sticking to each other. Then, put them in a freezer bag. You can keep these in the freezer for up to 2 months. If you want to store them in your refrigerator, they will last up to 5 days.

Fluffy Blueberry Pancakes

*If you made these Fluffy Blueberry Pancakes, please leave a rating*

Stacked pancakes with fruit and syrup and a side of bacon

Pancake Favorite Recipes

Some of our very favorite variations of pancakes!

Fluffy Blueberry Lemon Pancakes

• 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries

Instructions

1. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in medium sized mixing bowl.
  2. In a large measuring cup measure milk, add egg and vanilla and whisk together with fork.
  3. Melt butter in microwave for 30 seconds.
  4. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients.
  5. Pour milk mixture into flour mixture and whisk until flour is just incorporated.
  6. Whisk in butter.
  7. Using 1/4 measure, pour batter onto hot griddle sprayed with cooking spray.
  8. Turn heat to medium low.
  9. Place blueberries on top of pancake and press slightly to sink them into cake.
  10. When top of pancake starts to bubble and dry, flip pancake.
  11. Continue cooking for about 30-60 seconds until pancake is no longer wet inside.
  12. Serve with warmed maple syrup and extra blueberries.

Nutrition Information

Yield

Serving Size

1/4th recipe

Amount Per Serving Calories 300Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 81mgSodium 553mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 2gSugar 8gProtein 7g

Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy, but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.

Did you make this recipe?

Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Instagram

1. Andrew's Mom June 5, 2010 at 6:42 pm - Reply

I saw a cute bowl the other day at the thrift store it said "Good Morning Grumpy" – do you have that for him? If not, would you want it if it is still there when I go again on Monday?

2. Grumpy and HoneyB June 5, 2010 at 6:46 pm - Reply

LOL. That's funny. That is exactly what I say to him every morning when he comes downstairs! Too cute. I sent you an email. 🙂

3. averagebetty June 5, 2010 at 7:15 pm - Reply

The pancakes look gorgeous – and I love your ** tip about the milk. I never would have thought to do that 🙂

4. Pam June 5, 2010 at 7:26 pm - Reply

Nothing better than blueberry pancakes.

5. Barbara Bakes June 5, 2010 at 7:31 pm - Reply

I can't even imagine not loving blueberries. The pancakes sound wonderful.

6. Hannah June 5, 2010 at 8:26 pm - Reply

Oh, you've got me craving pancakes like nothing else now! And topping them with any sort of fresh berries would be the perfect finishing touch.

7. Nan June 5, 2010 at 9:30 pm - Reply

I love you, too, Honey B….after all, it is you that "speaks for Grumpy"..he would not be funny without you as translator! Glad you liked my trip down memory lane.

8. pegasuslegend June 5, 2010 at 10:19 pm - Reply

These look perfect, love how golden the cakes are with these super plump looking blueberries….havent had a good stack in a long time! now you have me wishing for these~

9. gail June 5, 2010 at 11:03 pm - Reply

I am still laughing! Nan is hilarious! Love your pancakes though, I think Grumpy had better behave!!!

10. Jessie June 6, 2010 at 12:20 am - Reply

I love these pancakes, I say grumpy is missing out big time! lol

11. Barbara @moderncomfortfood June 6, 2010 at 1:01 am - Reply

Love the pancakes, but my mind is actually on your challenge to guess Grumpy's favorite fruit. Based on his reputation, how about the following list: bitter melons, key limes, lemons, sour cherries, cranberries, rhubarb….Am I close?

12. Grumpy and HoneyB June 6, 2010 at 1:03 am - Reply

lol Barbara…nope…not even close. Keep guessing! LOL

13. jo oliver June 6, 2010 at 3:28 am - Reply

I'm with ya…I love blueberries. This looks wonderful:)

14. bellini valli June 6, 2010 at 10:34 am - Reply

I'd have to say that blueberries are my ultimate fruit Shelby so I am taking your side:D

15. Cristine June 6, 2010 at 12:47 pm - Reply

Great story! Don't let it go to Grumpy's head! 🙂

I heart blueberry pancakes… YUM!

16. Cooking with Kait June 6, 2010 at 3:01 pm - Reply

I love blueberry pancakes. These look wonderful. Too bad blueberries stand out so much, otherwise you could sneak it in and Grumpy might love it without knowing it.

17. Mags June 7, 2010 at 12:35 am - Reply

I'm siding with you on this one. Blueberries pancakes are the best. Sorry Grumpy…LOL

18. Linda June 7, 2010 at 12:46 am - Reply

I'm a HUGE fan of fresh blueberries in pancakes–those just look mouthwatering!

19. Heather Davis June 7, 2010 at 9:30 am - Reply

Oh wow we love blueberry pancakes in our house. These look amazing.

20. pigpigscorner June 7, 2010 at 11:02 am - Reply

My hubs is not a huge of of berries too. He'd rather just have it plain with maple syrup.

21. Cheryl June 7, 2010 at 7:04 pm - Reply

Blueberry Pancakes are my absolute favorite, YUM!

22. Cheryl June 7, 2010 at 7:04 pm - Reply

Blueberry Pancakes are my absolute favorite, YUM!

23. Tasty Eats At Home June 7, 2010 at 7:52 pm - Reply

I love blueberry pancakes – these look great! You and Grumpy agree on fruit about how me and my "Grumpy" do!

24. Patrick June 7, 2010 at 10:33 pm - Reply

You did such an amazing job with these pancakes. my favorite pancakes are banana pancakes mmmmmmmm mmmmm mmmmm

25. Daily Freebies June 7, 2010 at 11:42 pm - Reply

Wow… these look amazing!! I am in love, lol 😛

26. The Rowdy Chowgirl June 8, 2010 at 8:32 pm - Reply

Lovely pancakes! I'll take them, with our without the blueberries!

27. Lana @ Never Enough Thyme June 9, 2010 at 3:29 pm - Reply

Would you believe I just happen to have about a cup of fresh blueberries and a quart of milk that is just on the verge of going bad? Now I know exactly what I need to do with both of them!

28. CookiePie June 9, 2010 at 9:05 pm - Reply

Lovely pancakes! And I am with you on the blueberries 🙂

I'm having fun making an NYC list for you! Will have it to you soon. xo

29. Anna June 9, 2010 at 10:29 pm - Reply

Lovely pancakes they look so pretty, somehow every single time I tried to make pancakes they came out looking like a disaster. Blueberries are my favorite with pancakes and bananas. And "my" grumpy loves sweet so much that if I sprinkle sugar on a brick he might eat it. LOL

30. Jamie June 11, 2010 at 3:05 am - Reply

I'm with you Shelby….blueberries all the itme, anytime. I had breakfast for dinner last week with buttermilk pancakes with blueberries and this week blueberry waffles. Your pictures are amazing! I could taste that pancake right off the page….wish I could anyway!

31. honeyb June 12, 2010 at 2:50 am - Reply

I don't really care for blueberries IN the pancake batter, but I love them on top. Love all your "stories" about Grumpy.

32. Katherine Hackworthy August 4, 2018 at 9:14 am - Reply

Blueberry pancakes are so good. These look delicious and filling, perfect for a weekend breakfast treat.

33. Heidy L. McCallum August 4, 2018 at 9:50 am - Reply

These pancakes look amazingly fluffy and delicious ! I am always looking for great homemade recipes for breakfast. I think I found a winning one!

34. Julia August 4, 2018 at 9:52 am - Reply

Mmm… I have all the ingredients on hand. I think I am going to give it a go tomorrow! 🙂

35. Sonal August 4, 2018 at 10:27 am - Reply

Enjoyed reading your post Grumpy!! Those pancakes sure look very fluffy and delicious. Shall try these soon.

36. linda spiker August 4, 2018 at 10:37 am - Reply

You just can’t beat that lemon blueberry combination! Unless of course, you add bacon 🙂

37. Miriah October 19, 2019 at 7:48 am - Reply

38. […] is for breakfast in your house?  In our house it is sometimes Blueberry Pancakes (for me).  And, other times without blueberries, (for Grumpy). I might get adventurous and make […]

39. […] keto, our house was known as the pancake house. Every weekend I was making either Fluffy Blueberry Pancakes or Chunky Monkey Breakfast Cakes, our two favorite non-keto recipes. I decided that since we missed […]

40. […] I have a hard time leaving blueberries out of pancakes. I come back with “they are called Fluffy Blueberry Pancakes, I can’t leave them […]