This week for I Heart Cooking Clubs the theme is Mystery Dinner – Potluck.  I had been wanting to make crab cakes for a while so I found Mark Bittman’s recipe and went with it.  This was my first time making crab cakes and it won’t be my last!  I decided to take a chance and made them curried instead of plain.  I really liked the curry in the coating and Grumpy enjoyed them!  He had (and still has) no idea there was curry involved.  he he.  I love it!
Crab Cakes, Curried or Plain
Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Everything
1 pound fresh lump crabmeat, picked over for cartilage
1 egg
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper (optional)
1/2 cup chopped scallion (optional)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons bread crumbs, preferably fresh, or cracker crumbs, or as needed
About 1 cup all-purpose flour for dredging
Curry powder (optional)
2 tablespoons peanut, extra virgin olive, or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons butter or more oil
Lemon wedges and/or Tartar Sauce
Mix together the crabmeat, egg, bell pepper, scallion, mayonnaise, mustard, and some salt and pepper. Add enough bread crumbs to bind the mixture just enough to form into cakes; start with 2 tablespoons and use more if you need it.

Refrigerate the mixture until you’re ready to cook (it will be easier to shape if you refrigerate it for 30 minutes or more, but it’s ready to go when you finish mixing).

Season the flour with salt and pepper and add some curry powder if you like. Heat a large skillet, preferably cast-iron, over medium-high heat for 2 or 3 minutes. Add the oil and butter and heat until the butter foam subsides. Shape the crabmeat mixture into 1- inch-thick cakes, dredge each in the flour, and cook, adjusting the heat as necessary and turning once (very gently), until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Serve with lemon wedges and/or tartar sauce.

1. Mags May 21, 2010 at 11:36 am - Reply

I can't have crab but hubby would kill for these. I'll send him over (not to kill you, of course…lol)

2. Bellini Valli May 21, 2010 at 11:52 am - Reply

I love the addition of curry here Shelby. Sneak curry into a few more dishes just like we used to sneak veggies into our kids meals. Out of sight, out of mind:D

3. pegasuslegend May 21, 2010 at 12:19 pm - Reply

these look great, I wish I could just taste one, I never can get passed the crab to add the rest, crab is my favorite and I always eat it before it makes the bowl….someday lol….a diffinite keeper recipe no onions is great for me!

4. Kim May 21, 2010 at 12:19 pm - Reply

So funny that you put the curry in there and hubby didn't know it- ha ha! I have to do things like that to my husband, who can also be a picky eater.

Those crab cakes are beautifully golden brown and look scrumptious!

5. Cristine May 21, 2010 at 1:07 pm - Reply

Hee hee! Way to trick Grumpy! 🙂 They look great!

6. Frieda May 21, 2010 at 2:34 pm - Reply

I have some crab in my freezer, just waiting for the right recipe…this one may be it!

7. Kait May 21, 2010 at 5:29 pm - Reply

What a nice twist to a classic dish. I can't wait to try this with curry powder.

8. Joanne May 21, 2010 at 5:38 pm - Reply

You are a serious trickster. But I would do the same thing.

These look delicious! I love all the ingredients. What a flavorful crab cake!

9. Debinhawaii May 21, 2010 at 11:00 pm - Reply

Great pick! Your crab cakes look wonderful–so golden brown. I did Bittman's cod cakes with mashed potatoes this week and was thinking that adding some curry and maybe some peas would be fun–so your curried crab cakes solidified that decision for next time. 😉

10. Mrs4444 May 22, 2010 at 3:29 am - Reply

Sounds yummy, but now that I know there's such a thing as "crab cartilage," I'm a little worried about what I've been eating! haha

11. pigpigscorner May 22, 2010 at 12:29 pm - Reply

Must be really fragrant with the curry powder!

12. Amanda May 23, 2010 at 1:38 pm - Reply

haha that's too funny! My DH has eaten things (like mushrooms) he doesn't like and hasn't known it either LOL

13. The Country Cook May 23, 2010 at 10:30 pm - Reply

Curry and crab sounds yum. I often sneak curry in too. hahaha