And the winner is…….
Beth of Cookie Pie!
Congratulations! You will be hearing from me via email soon!

There are all kinds of pumpkin bar recipes out there. I was bound and determined that the recipe I made was not going to be full of oil. The first recipe I made did not turn out. I was really disappointed because it was from my favorite cooking source – Cooking Light. Well, I guess I can’t say it didn’t turn out – but it didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to. I ended up tossing it. I’m not sure if it was the recipe or if it was just me but it didn’t rise and it was kind of “gummy”. If you made the CL recipe (here) let me know how yours turned out? I’d like to know what I did wrong because others in the reviews said they made it as stated and it turned out great for them. I do know I am not the only one who made it and it didn’t turn out.

I finally decided on a recipe from allrecipes.com but of course, I didn’t follow it completely (original recipe here). It called for a full cup of oil and I just can’t find it in myself to make a cake with that much oil in it. Someone in the reviews had mentioned subbing applesauce but I had some greek yogurt in the refrigerator so I went with that in place of the oil. I didn’t get a “cakey” texture – you know the “crumb” look? Grumpy called it more like sponge cake texture but said it was light and good (and he ate two pieces last night while we watched a movie!). It turned out de-lic-ious! For the frosting I went with the cooking light recipe they had with their recipe for pumpkin bars.

Cake:

1 (15 ounce) can canned pumpkin puree
2 cups white sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup Greek yogurt
4 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt

In a mixing bowl, beat pumpkin, 2 cups white sugar, and oil. Add eggs, and mix well.

In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add these dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture, and beat until well blended. Pour batter into a greased 15 x 10 inch baking pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, or until cake tests done. Cool.

For the frosting(from Cooking Light): Combine 2 tablespoons butter, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and 8 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese in a bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until combined. Gradually add 2 cups sifted powdered sugar, beating until well combined. Spread frosting evenly over top of cake.

1. Cristine November 9, 2009 at 3:39 pm - Reply

These look fantastic!

2. Carrian November 9, 2009 at 3:54 pm - Reply

Those look so delicious!! I wish I could make pumpkin year round because I have so many new recipes to try!

3. CookiePie November 9, 2009 at 4:36 pm - Reply

YUM – those look so delicious – the perfect snack!!

4. Ingrid November 9, 2009 at 4:59 pm - Reply

Mmmm, love pumpkin bars. With these bad boys I wouldn't feel guilty eating one or two. 🙂
    ~ingrid

5. Jessie November 9, 2009 at 5:55 pm - Reply

great pumpkin bars! I recently tried greek yogurt and I am in love, it is so much better than regular yogurt alone.

6. teresa November 9, 2009 at 6:41 pm - Reply

these look great! i love that you use yogurt!

7. Leslie November 9, 2009 at 6:44 pm - Reply

I cant stand when things dont turn out in the kitchen!
    But your second attempt looks wonderful

8. Jamie November 9, 2009 at 8:04 pm - Reply

Don't you hate it when you get your hopes up that something is going to taste great but than it dissapoints. The trials and errors of the kitchen.

Good for you for making those pumpkin bars healthier. I love the frosting on top.

9. Gera @ SweetsFoods November 9, 2009 at 8:10 pm - Reply

These pumpkin bars look extremely yummy and great idea the addition of yogurt 🙂

Cheers!

Gera

10. Katy ~ November 9, 2009 at 8:34 pm - Reply

Well done. I never would have even considered subbing yogurt for oil. You are creative and BRAVE! Well done.

11. averagebetty November 9, 2009 at 8:38 pm - Reply

YUM! These look delicious! Thanks for doing some Pumpkin Bar experimentation for us… so we know the right recipe to use 🙂

12. Flourchild November 10, 2009 at 1:00 am - Reply

I have been enjoying baking more with pumpkin this fall. There are so many wonderful recipes using pumpkin! These bars look fantastic. I would love to try this recipe too!

13. Amanda November 10, 2009 at 1:12 am - Reply

They look absolutely fabulous 🙂

14. Helene November 10, 2009 at 1:53 am - Reply

I like that your bars are done with yogourt. They looks really good.

15. Christy November 10, 2009 at 2:04 am - Reply

Wow-these look scrumptious!! I haven't tried pumpkin bars yet, but these are a must try!

16. Barbara Bakes November 10, 2009 at 2:26 am - Reply

Sounds great, especially with the light cream cheese frosting!

17. Donna-FFW November 10, 2009 at 4:16 am - Reply

Pumpkin Bars are a must make for me every fall.. I usually do Paula Deens. Nice sub with the yogurt!

18. {kiss my spatula} November 10, 2009 at 4:50 am - Reply

beautiful photos! can't wait to give these a go!

19. Esi November 10, 2009 at 9:39 pm - Reply

I this recipe looks great! I can't wait to try it.

20. Sweet and Savory November 11, 2009 at 1:55 pm - Reply

Whatever you did, the bars look great, light and airy and tasty.

I use applesauce when I see too much fat, in a recipe, and it does work. Yogurt was a good call.