Crispy Frankenstein Treats
Grown-up Halloween Party

I decided to submit to Foodbuzz 24, 24, 24, for October and asked my daughter-in-law Kristina if she would be interested in hosting a Grown-up Halloween party with me. The day I got the news I was accepted for this month’s event was also a day I had nothing but bad news. So, to get this news at the end of the day was certainly a day brightener! Not only did we have the opportunity to host a great party, but my DIL and I had the opportunity to spend some quality time together shopping, talking, cooking and most unfun…cleaning. ;o)

Kristina and I went shopping and found some cool decorations and Kristina did some shopping on line on her own and found some cool items. ;o) Kristina likes to shop for Halloween things. Well, I think she likes to shop! A girl after my heart! Kristina’s mom and sister came up with a game we all played and we all voted on the best costume. Mallyn won the favorite costume prize (a bottle of blood – red wine) donated by Kristina’s mother. Congrats Mallyn! Justin came in 2nd place for his toadstool costume and won the 2nd bottle of wine. ;o)

We sent the invitations out and let everyone know that it was a Foodbuzz sponsored Grown-Up Halloween Party and to come dressed up! I know this is going to be a long post but please, do go to the end. It is definitely a post worth reading. I’ll tell you the stories along with the photos.

THE PREP

Grown-up Halloween Party
Party prep – Kristina (in back), my friend Amanda and myself.

My son Justin helping!

My DIL Kristina decorating cookies

THE DECORATIONS

The Beverage Station

The Pumpkin Greeters

Table of treats

Of wings and toes…

THE PEOPLE

Grown-up Halloween Party
Justin & Kristina (Toadstool and Spider)

Grown-up Halloween Party
Grumpy & HoneyB – isn’t he just the character? No, he wasn’t drunk, but from the photos of him you might think he was since that bottle of beer is promptly put into view by him. Not to mention some of the other poses he was caught in throughout the evening….I wonder if he has a secret advertising gig with Budweiser??

Grown-up Halloween Party
My friends Amanda and Randy. Amanda spent the weekend with me and the entire day helping Kristina and I prep the party. Thank you SO MUCH Amanda for your help. You certainly are someone who is a pleasure to be around and think goodness your so easy going! My only question is – why on earth does Randy look so mean in this photo! lol. That just is so not him!!

Grown-up Halloween Party
The grandpuppies even joined in on the Grown-Up Halloween Party! They didn’t really dress to party but they were there and were such good puppies!

Grown-up Halloween Party
The Star Trek Fan and his wife (Kristina’s mom and dad!)

Sarah
Sarah

Justin’s cousin Jessica with her friend Audrey

Justin’s cousin Amanda with her hubby Ryan and friend Laura

Kaitlyn (Kristina’s sister) & her fiance Jake

Justin’s cousin Eric with his girlfriend Malyn and my other son Christopher

THE GROWN-UP HALLOWEEN PARTY

Grown-up Halloween Party
Now, click your heels 3 times and the party begins!!

Grown-up Halloween Party
Grumpy decides to put on a show … um, I mean a witches hat. :o)

Grown-up Halloween Party
Kady gets Chris to eat some “special” jelly beans!

Grown-up Halloween Party
Scary Movie Pictionary! My team won!! Yay Eric & Mallyn!

Grown-up Halloween Party
Making sure everyone leaves with Treat bags so there are no Tricks!

THE FOOD

Grown-up Halloween Party

Howling Wings. This was a recipe that Kristina had in an older issue of a Pillsbury Halloween magazine. The thought of smoky chipotle chili peppers, caramel sauce and a zesty Italian dressing were too much for me to resist. These were a great party wing!

Grown-up Halloween Party

Mummy Toes. I just thought these were the cutest thing! Well, cute, but still kinda gross! It is also one of Grumpy’s favorite appetizers. I think he ate most of these himself…even though he has an aversion to feet. he he. I will say, there weren’t many left. We served them with mucus (a honey mustard)

Grown-up Halloween Party

Bubbling Caldron. This is the basic velveeta cheese with salsa dip. really easy and really yummy! This is what Grumpy will ask me to mix up for him when he’s craving some cheesy dip and chips.

Grown-up Halloween Party

Crunchie Mummies is another Pillsbury recipe from Kristina’s Halloween issue. Not only was this the cutest idea, but it was a delicious one also. There were only a couple left which found their way home with us!

Grown-up Halloween Party

Devilish Eggs. When Grumpy heard we were making deviled eggs he thought we should make bloody eyeballs. Not a bad idea really, but we thought these were so cute! Definitely time consuming, but worth the time to put them together!

Grown-up Halloween Party

Sneaky Snakes we followed this concept, but the recipe I used for the filling is as follows:

1 cup sour cream
1 8 oz package 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
1 4 oz can chopped chili
2 Tablespoons Jalapeno Spice Blend
1 cup shredded pizza cheese blend
1 small can sliced black olives
flour tortilla

Mix first 5 ingredients together until well blended. Spread filling over tortilla and roll up, securing with toothpick. Chill up to 2 hours. Slice and arrange on platter in form of a snake.

Grown-up Halloween Party

I can’t believe it – I missed a photo so of course, I needed to put some sort of photo to divide food items. ;o) I do have a recipe for you for Guts & Goop: This is a recipe that Kristina got Justin’s Aunt April. It is a taco dip recipe that we renamed to fit the party!

1 8 oz package softened cream cheese
16 oz container sour cream
1 packet taco seasoning blend

Blend well together and place on bottom of pan.

Top with 1/2 of 12 oz jar salsa
shredded lettuce
shredded cheese
diced tomato

Serve with tortilla chips.

Grown-up Halloween Party

Witches Brew punch bowl. My brother Steve sent me a link of Halloween beverages – which I cannot for the life of me find! However, I could remember the ingredients for the Witches Brew and so I will give you the recipe although I can’t give the credit where I got it until I hear back from my brother (who is on his way home from his cruise today!).

1 can (46 oz) pineapple juice
1 bottle (64 oz) cranberry juice
1-1/2 cups coconut rum

Mix together and place in punch bowl with skulls and crossbones ice cubes!

Grown-up Halloween Party

For the Crispy Frankenstein Treats we followed the Rice Krispie Treat recipe, added the green food color when making and dipped the crown in chocolate, drew a face with writing icing and used pretzels and colored mini marshmallows for the bolts.

Halloween Truffles
12 oz semi sweet chocolate
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons dark rum

Heat the heavy cream and butter until very warm. Pour over chocolate and stir until melted. Mix in rum. Put in refrigerator and cool for at least 3 hours. Remove from fridge, shape into balls and roll in sprinkles. Store in tightly covered container in refrigerator.

Grown-up Halloween Party

Ghost Truffles idea was found in the Phyllis Hoffman Celebrate Halloween magazine. Kristina made the Oreo Truffle recipe and then decorated the ghosts!

Grown-up Halloween Party

Looking at You Cheeseball was also found in the Phyllis Hoffman Celebrate Halloween magazine. We halved the recipe which made a good sized cheeseball! The recipe here is for 1/2.

1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped peanut butter cups
1/4 cup peanut butter flavored morsels
1/2 cup chopped peanuts (we used fresh shelled salted peanuts)
Thin Ginger Snaps
Chocolate Wafer Cookies
Garnish: Candy-shaped eyes

Grown-up Halloween Party

Pumpkin Cupcakes! The recipe is from Kraft Foods. Kristina really, really wanted the pumpkin cupcake pan so she ordered it from crate and barrel and we were set to make pumpkin patch cupcakes! She got a few other cute things from crate and barrel (like the candy corn trays we sat the Frankenstein treats and cookies on!)
Grown-up Halloween Party

For the Haunted Cupcakes I made Nanny’s Mayonnaise cake recipe, topped it with an almond flavored frosting and decorated with cupcake wraps and haunted toothpicks.

Grown-up Halloween Party

We also put a Hershey’s miniature tombstone in a cupcake and decorated with some fall leaves.

That is our round up of yummy treats we had for our Grown-up Halloween Party. I hope you enjoyed reading and I hope you all have a happy and SAFE Halloween!

1. Donna October 25, 2009 at 9:31 pm - Reply

OMGoooshhh– everything looks so YUMMY! It looks like you all did a great job of providing lots of delicious looking ( and I'm sure tasting!) treats for your guests- I wish I had your baking/cooking talents and people who would try various things LOL

2. Mags October 25, 2009 at 9:49 pm - Reply

WOW…just WOW! What an incredible party. And the food! You were a busy woman Shelby!

3. Anonymous October 25, 2009 at 10:26 pm - Reply

Everything is awesome! You gals do know how to throw a party! Kathye

4. Jessie October 25, 2009 at 10:27 pm - Reply

what fun party! I love how every dish was spook-tastic, I wish I could have been there 🙂

5. Carrie October 25, 2009 at 10:28 pm - Reply

Looks like a great party!

6. pegasuslegend October 25, 2009 at 10:41 pm - Reply

wow we were thinking on the same page this time just posted the same theme….your looks terrific!

7. spatulascorkscrews October 25, 2009 at 11:13 pm - Reply

Unbelievable! What a spread! Why can't we live closer?

8. theresa October 25, 2009 at 11:20 pm - Reply

Looks like a great party! Thank you for sharing!

9. Leslie October 25, 2009 at 11:55 pm - Reply

Ohhhh…what a fun party. My invitation must have gotten lost in the mail! LOL

10. Sippity Sup October 26, 2009 at 12:41 am - Reply

I love it when holidays turn into theme parties! Greg

11. Helene October 26, 2009 at 12:49 am - Reply

You did such an amazing job. What a great time you all had. Love the costumes, food, deco etc.

12. Lisa October 26, 2009 at 1:06 am - Reply

Love this post! What fun! And thanks for the Halloweeny ideas!

13. Stephanie October 26, 2009 at 1:11 am - Reply

WOW!!! All of that food looks SO fun!!!!!! Thank you for posting!!! What a fun Halloween party & ideas for food!!! Thanks again!!!!

14. The Duo Dishes October 26, 2009 at 1:43 am - Reply

Halloween is not just for the kiddies! You came up with a wide array of festive dishes. Everything looks good.

15. Gera @ SweetsFoods October 26, 2009 at 3:05 am - Reply

How funny and I want to have the possibility to go to your next yummy party 🙂

Love all of them beautiful treats!

Cheers,

Gera

16. Maria October 26, 2009 at 3:05 am - Reply

Wow, what a party! Nice work!

17. Spice Rack October 26, 2009 at 4:47 am - Reply

Wow, all of the treats looks good! I'm sure you guys had a blast.

18. Barbara Bakes October 26, 2009 at 1:14 pm - Reply

Everything looks so fun and tasty! Now I'm wishing I was having a Halloween party!

19. Jamie October 26, 2009 at 1:31 pm - Reply

What a party Shelby! I would have loved all that wonderful food you all made. What a spread! I loved all the costumes too! I'm giving my daughters a Birthday/Halloween party this Friday. I wish you could be here to help 🙂

20. Tasty Eats At Home October 26, 2009 at 1:50 pm - Reply

So many amazing treats! I can only imagine how busy you must have been. Sounds like it would have been fun!

21. Christy October 26, 2009 at 2:24 pm - Reply

Fantastic post!! All of your sweet and savory treats look delicious! You certainly put alot of time and effort into your party and it looks like all your guests had a great time. Thanks for some great ideas!

22. Megan October 26, 2009 at 3:08 pm - Reply

Everything looks fantastic. What a buffet. Wish I was at your party. A good time indeed. And yes, a LOT of work. But oh so fun! 🙂

23. Cami @ Creating Myself October 26, 2009 at 3:11 pm - Reply

What fun! And what an honor! You go girl!!! ;o)

24. Ingrid October 26, 2009 at 3:41 pm - Reply

Holy smokes! That was a TON of delish looking (though not sounding, ha-ha!!) food. You guys did a fantastic job!
    ~ingrid

25. Kathleen October 26, 2009 at 6:33 pm - Reply

You guys are amazing! You did a fabulous job. I wish I lived closer cuz I totally would have crashed!

26. teresa October 26, 2009 at 6:39 pm - Reply

woweee! you put a lot of work into that party, but it looks like such a success. i don't know what i would dig into first, it all looks so good!

27. Katy ~ October 26, 2009 at 10:54 pm - Reply

That was more than a party — that was a BALL!!

28. Patsyk October 27, 2009 at 1:33 am - Reply

What a party! How completely fun! I'm bookmarking this post so I have some ideas for our 2nd annual Halloween party next year!

29. noobcook October 27, 2009 at 2:31 am - Reply

superb! I love the halloween-themed foods you whip up as well as everyone's costumes 🙂 I'm doing fb24 this mth too 🙂

30. Sam Sotiropoulos October 27, 2009 at 1:58 pm - Reply

Fantastic! Great party and a wonderful array of themed food items. You outdid yourselves on this one. 🙂

31. Judy@nofearentertaining October 27, 2009 at 3:16 pm - Reply

What a great 24 24 24! Love the creativity that went into this!

32. Cinnamon-Girl Reeni♥ October 27, 2009 at 3:20 pm - Reply

What fun!! And such spooky and scrumptious treats!

33. Pam October 27, 2009 at 4:15 pm - Reply

What a fun and fantastic party! All of your food looks so delicious and creative.

34. Jeff October 27, 2009 at 6:22 pm - Reply

Awesome event and everyone needs a little adult party in their life!

35. CookiePie October 27, 2009 at 9:53 pm - Reply

WOW!!!! What a fun party, and the food looks AMAZING!!! You went all out!

36. Donna-FFW October 28, 2009 at 1:10 am - Reply

My Goodness.. you blew me away .. what an awesome job, from the food to the drinks to the decor, to the costumes. What a blast. Here's to the hostess with the most-est!! Cheers, raising my glass to you.

37. A Table For Two October 28, 2009 at 6:10 am - Reply

oh my word!! that looks like a lot of fun!!! and the food!!!

38. Swaps October 30, 2009 at 11:56 am - Reply

I bow to you Shelby!! Making a main course and appetiser is work enough, but this spread…. WOW WOW WOW… and the pictures … AMAZING… I wish I had a friend who threw a halloween party like you 🙂

39. Anonymous November 2, 2009 at 10:03 pm - Reply

You did a fantastic job!!! I wish you could come throw a halloween party at my house!

40. JMom November 3, 2009 at 12:48 am - Reply

oh wow! I really enjoyed oggling the spread 🙂 It looks like a fun party!

41. Elena Toma November 7, 2009 at 2:47 pm - Reply

Amazing party and nice post! And… all looks so good!

42. Katie's blog November 8, 2009 at 6:51 pm - Reply

What a fun night for you! Great post!!!

43. Deborah Dowd November 29, 2009 at 8:44 pm - Reply

What a fun party- I am stealing those mummy toes for next year's Halloween buffet!

44. […] 5. Crispy Frankenstein Treats via HoneyB’s Kitchen […]

45. […] grumpyshoneybunch.com via Kelly on […]

46. 51 Halloween Treats Made Simple December 14, 2015 at 12:20 pm - Reply

[…] Crispy Frankenstein Treats by The Life & Loves of Grumpy’s […]

47. […] Crispy Frankenstein Treats […]

48. Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) September 5, 2017 at 4:59 pm - Reply

Great ideas for a Halloween party!

49. Lane & Holly @ With Two Spoons September 7, 2017 at 11:40 pm - Reply

This looks like a super fun party!

50. Renee September 8, 2017 at 12:32 am - Reply

Looks like a fun party!

51. Rachael Yerkes September 8, 2017 at 11:14 am - Reply

Halloween is my favorite! I’m loving this grown up halloween party! So cute!

52. Heather September 8, 2017 at 1:37 pm - Reply

This is completely putting me in the mood for Halloween! SO much fun!

53. Liren | Kitchen Confidante September 8, 2017 at 6:41 pm - Reply

Gosh, I miss the Foodbuzz days! What a fun party — so many great ideas!

54. Lynne | 365 Days of Baking and More September 8, 2017 at 8:36 pm - Reply

What a FUN party that must have been and SO much delicious looking food! Great ideas for a Halloween party that I’ll have to use for ours!

55. Nancy | The Bitter Side of Sweet September 8, 2017 at 10:09 pm - Reply

Super cute!

56. Ashley September 8, 2017 at 11:14 pm - Reply

This is so fun!

57. Des @ Life's Ambrosia September 11, 2017 at 12:45 am - Reply

What a fun Halloween celebration!

58. Falloween Pinterest Halloween Treats II September 30, 2017 at 2:05 pm - Reply

[…] Crispy Frankenstein Treats […]

59. Anonymous October 7, 2019 at 5:28 pm - Reply

60. […] into my life, Halloween came alive again! That girl loved herself some Halloween!! I even hosted an Adult Halloween Party with her back at the beginning of my blog days.  I love how she brought that passion back in me […]

61. […] first time I made these rice krispie treats was for a Grown-up Halloween Party that I hosted with my former daughter in law. She is a huge fan of Halloween and what more fun can […]