J&Me
Justin – who always thinks I am two years younger than I really am and me.

For some reason the boy has it in his head that mom is only 20 years older than he is. Thats ok, I can forgive him for thinking mom is younger. lol.
Last evening, the only one missing was my Christopher. He had to work but he did take me to lunch yesterday. We went to Jernabi Coffee and sat with our drinks and chatted. Seemed like the most perfect lunch to have had for my birthday. Just his company makes my heart happy!

Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza

I had seen this recipe for Chicago Deep-Dish Pizza in my most recent issue of Cooking Light magazine. I knew when I saw it I would be trying it. Mostly because I have been on a continual search for a pizza dough that Grumpy will say is good. He did say this was good, but he still didn’t say he had to have it again but he didn’t say he wouldn’t eat it again either…. However, that said, you all know that Grumpy is picky.

Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza

I made the crust recipes exactly as it states in the recipe. Followed the sauce recipe also, but I didn’t use chicken sausage. We are not big sausage on pizza eaters here, so I used turkey pepperoni. I think it was a great recipe and you can mix it up in so many different ways for toppings. If you are looking for the recipe you can CLICK HERE.

intheact
Grumpy pretty much enjoying that “ok” pizza.

All in all I had a really nice birthday this year. My co-worker got me some Jernabi Coffee Coins and a 3 lb container of fireballs. The fireballs she knew I had been looking for and the coffee coins, well pretty much anyone who visits my Facebook Fan page knows that I love Jernabi Coffee almost as much as I love Grumpy! I really love their pumpkin spice latte! mmmmm. I was well remembered yesterday and it really surprised me to have some people make the efforts they did to go out of their way to wish me a happy day! Thanks to all. You all helped make my day really special!

1. Sippity Sup October 2, 2009 at 1:18 am - Reply

Sweet, sweet, sweet. Totally sweet! GREG

2. Maria October 2, 2009 at 1:21 am - Reply

My hubs LOVES deep dish pizza, but it is not light at all! Glad you had a nice birthday!

3. Helene October 2, 2009 at 1:36 am - Reply

Happy Belated Birthday! That pizza looks really good.

4. Shelly W October 2, 2009 at 1:49 am - Reply

Happy B-day! Looks like a perfect birthday birthday meal 🙂

5. Josie October 2, 2009 at 1:52 am - Reply

Happy happy birthday!!

6. Patsyk October 2, 2009 at 1:52 am - Reply

The pizza looks so good, I'd love a piece right now! I always have trouble rolling out the dough for some reason when I make it at home.

happy birthday, my friend!

7. Barbara Bakes October 2, 2009 at 2:17 am - Reply

It doesn't look like a light pizza! I'll have to check it out! Glad you had a great day!

8. Linda October 2, 2009 at 2:23 am - Reply

Well, my friend, how did I miss this? A belated, but heartfelt happy birthday! And yes, we really should try to get together before the snow flies. Judging by the weather, it should be sometime soon!! LOL Hope your day was perfect!

9. Mags October 2, 2009 at 2:35 am - Reply

A belated happy birthday to you Shelby! And that pizza looks like something I'd tear into any time.

10. Fallon October 2, 2009 at 3:21 am - Reply

Happy Birthday!! I agree with your son, you do look a lot younger for your age!

11. Bob October 2, 2009 at 3:43 am - Reply

Happy birthday! Glad you had a good one. 🙂

12. recipes2share October 2, 2009 at 3:50 am - Reply

pizza looks fab and glad to hear you had such a wonderful day, Shelby!

13. Coleen's Recipes October 2, 2009 at 7:38 am - Reply

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Shelby!!! You are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Katy ~ October 2, 2009 at 9:20 am - Reply

Gosh, that pizza looks good!

Happy birthday, Shelby!

15. Vickie LeBlanc October 2, 2009 at 11:40 am - Reply

Sorry I'm late wishing you a happy birthday… better late than never, right. Pizza looks delicious.

16. Flourchild October 2, 2009 at 11:54 am - Reply

I love the picture of you and your son..that is a wondeful photo of you..so pretty!

Happy Bday again and what a nice way to celebrate with pizza! It looks incredible and Grumpy is enjoying too!

17. Robin Sue October 2, 2009 at 12:31 pm - Reply

Happy Birthday! You share the same day as my Mammy. You look very young- such beautiful skin you have with a perfect glow!!!

18. Jessie October 2, 2009 at 12:44 pm - Reply

Happy Birthday Honey B! Oh my that pizza looks so great! I'm so happy to hear that you had a wonderful day 🙂

19. "E" Street October 2, 2009 at 12:50 pm - Reply

Happy Birthday – sounds like it was a great day! Here's hoping for many more to come your way……..

The pizza looks great – I had no idea there was such a thing as turkey pepperoni….. maybe I should explore "light" cooking a little more closely?!?!?!?

Thanks for sharing!

20. Bellini Valli October 2, 2009 at 2:17 pm - Reply

Happy birthday Shelby. I know you had a fantastic time surrounded by family. I work part time in a pizza place and I can tell you that the secret to the best pizza crust is in the flour you use…think part semolina:D

21. Cinnamon Girl aka Reeni♥ October 2, 2009 at 2:51 pm - Reply

Happy Birthday!!! The pizza looks amazing! Love that thick crust!

22. averagebetty October 2, 2009 at 3:33 pm - Reply

Happy Birthday!! Great looking pizza – beautiful pictures!

23. Ingrid October 2, 2009 at 4:37 pm - Reply

Glad to hear that your special day was a happy one!

Happy Friday & remember it's your BIRTHDAY WEEKEND! Make it a GREAT one! 🙂
    ~ingrid

24. The Duo Dishes October 2, 2009 at 7:00 pm - Reply

Happy birthday celebration. October is our bday month too, so we both know it's a fun time. If that's a light pizza, we could've been fooled. In fact, we were.

25. teresa October 2, 2009 at 7:17 pm - Reply

Happy belated birthday! Oh. that. pizza. It looks just mouthwatering!

26. Hillary October 2, 2009 at 8:47 pm - Reply

Happy birthday! There are so many ways to make Chicago pizza but whatever you do, thicker is better! Try this recipe.

27. Kathy - Panini Happy October 3, 2009 at 4:25 am - Reply

Happy Birthday, Shelby! And what a perfect-looking pizza! I'm definitely going to need to check into this recipe – if Cooking Light has managed to make Chicago deep dish a little bit lighter, I'm interested!

28. The Hungry Mouse October 3, 2009 at 2:07 pm - Reply

Happy, happy birthday, honey!!

xoxo
    +Jessie

29. Linda October 3, 2009 at 4:16 pm - Reply

Happy Birthday, HoneyB! The pizza looks wonderful.

30. Donna-FFW October 3, 2009 at 11:42 pm - Reply

Happy Happy Happy Happy Birthday pretty lady. Glad you had a great day and that pizza looks AWESOME!

31. Donna-FFW October 3, 2009 at 11:46 pm - Reply

BTW, how do you keep your skin so flawless…

32. Leslie October 4, 2009 at 2:24 am - Reply

Happy Happy Birthday!!!

33. Megan October 4, 2009 at 4:13 am - Reply

Gla your birthday was great! Pizza looks awesome and Grumpy looks pretty happy eating it! 🙂

34. Deseree October 4, 2009 at 4:30 pm - Reply

Lovely pictures! It may be 9:30 in the morning here in Seattle right now but after looking at your pictures I am now craving pizza. Thats normal right?

35. Laura October 4, 2009 at 11:51 pm - Reply

This is what I think of when I say deep dish pizza and it looks wonderful. When I was in Chicago however, I had something very different–it was a butter crust, almost like pie crust, and was very thin but "deep" with filling. Alas. I like our versions much, MUCH better.

36. Lori October 6, 2009 at 12:50 am - Reply

Oh my God that looks so good. It is so picture perfect. Happy Birthday!

37. JMom October 17, 2009 at 2:48 am - Reply

That pizza looks great! The crust looks terrific.

Also, HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY 😀 it sounds like you had a great one.

38. Bellini Valli December 5, 2009 at 1:40 pm - Reply

It looks like you had a very special birthday Shelby…and who wouldn't want to be a few years younger..unless you are 16.

39. […] Chicago Deep Dish Pizza […]