BNSLHB

I have been looking at the recipe on Cooking Light for Butternut Squash Lasagna for the last few weeks now and finally, last evening, had the chance to put it together. Naturally, my vegetarian desires not matching Grumpy’s carnivore desires made me a little nervous to make this dish.

You see, Lasagna is Grumpy’s favorite dish. Meat and cheese laden lasagna. So, in my desire for this dish, I knew I was going to be taking a big, big chance. When Grumpy asked me what was for dinner I said “well, I made butternut squash lasagna, but you can have hotdogs if you don’t want to eat that,” while kinda of “rolling” my eyes around innocently. His response? “Hotdogs, with lasagna???!! Um, I don’t think so.” So, it was decided he would try the lasagna and if he didn’t like it he could eat Banana Nut Cheerios (which has been our choice for dinner a couple of nights in a row lately).

This is also my submission for Presto Pasta Nights which is being hosted this week by Joanna of Eats Well With Others. Make sure to check out her post for the round up!

BNSL1HB

Oh, I bet your wondering about whether Grumpy liked it? Well, he never poured that bowl of cereal. When I asked him what the thought, his words were “it’s ok”. No ranting and raving by him, but I loved it (if that matters 😉 lol) Grumpy does tell me that he’s the star of the show here. I thought it was hearty and had awesome flavor. If you have been thinking about making Butternut Squash Lasagna then I would stop thinking and start cooking. 😉

You can CLICK HERE for the recipe. A couple notes about what I did:

1. I used Barilla Fire Roasted Pasta Sauce instead of making my own (there is a recipe for the pasta sauce on the lasagna recipe page).

2. I did not microwave my butternut squash. Instead, I roasted it for about 30 minutes in the oven (until still slightly firm but tender) with a little PAM Spray and salt & pepper.

1. HoneyB October 7, 2009 at 11:57 pm - Reply

P.S.! After posting this – Grumpy and I were talking and he actually said it was pretty good! 🙂

2. Mags October 7, 2009 at 11:59 pm - Reply

I've been wanting to try butternut squash lasagna (and butternut squash ravioli too!) I think that looks so delicious. Glad Grumpy decided he liked it after all!

3. averagebetty October 8, 2009 at 12:01 am - Reply

This is a new one for me… but I'd try anything you make HoneyB!

4. Pamela October 8, 2009 at 12:42 am - Reply

YUM! I have been wanting to try this one for a LONG time. It looks delicious and I'm glad Grumpy gave it a try.

5. Katy ~ October 8, 2009 at 12:55 am - Reply

Will you just look at that last photo! I need a towel to wipe up the drool from my keyboard! Shelby, this looks outstanding!!

6. Helene October 8, 2009 at 1:02 am - Reply

What a great way to eat your squash. Love the idea of lasagna. Looks good.

7. Jessie October 8, 2009 at 1:20 am - Reply

this is such a great way of using butternut squash. I love the idea of having it in lasagna. I think deep down inside, Grumpy truly enjoyed it but just wanted to maintain his meat eating reputation hehehe

8. Bunny October 8, 2009 at 1:51 am - Reply

I'll eat Grumpy's portion Shelby!! LOL!!! This looks terrific!

9. Lynda October 8, 2009 at 2:19 am - Reply

This looks amazing…I adore butternut squash, so this really appeals to me!
    Great picture too,

10. CookiePie October 8, 2009 at 2:55 am - Reply

That looks fantastic!! Love the idea of butternut squash in lasagna – delish!

11. Fallon October 8, 2009 at 3:09 am - Reply

I love this recipe!!! What was your total time prepping and cooking? I can't wait to try this now.

12. Coleen's Recipes October 8, 2009 at 9:12 am - Reply

What a great photo!! If it is half as delicous as the photo, I'm sold!!

13. Patsyk October 8, 2009 at 11:48 am - Reply

Looks absolutely delicious! I am going to have to try this to see if my family would enjoy it.

14. Bellini Valli October 8, 2009 at 12:35 pm - Reply

I would of course love tro try this recipe Shelby. The co-ordinators at BlogHer would love to hear you used Barilla pasta:D

15. Carrie October 8, 2009 at 3:29 pm - Reply

I've had a recipe for butternut squash I've been meaning to make for awhile now, thanks for the reminder!

16. Susie October 8, 2009 at 4:35 pm - Reply

I'm gonna remember this for my vegetarian dish of the week! 🙂 YUM!

17. Leslie October 8, 2009 at 7:26 pm - Reply

Men! Grrrrr
    Looks divine to me

18. Tatiyana October 8, 2009 at 7:30 pm - Reply

This looks super delicious. I'm making eggplant lasagna tonight, but I'm tempted to switch up the plans. I can't wait to try it out:)

19. Donna-FFW October 8, 2009 at 9:27 pm - Reply

Love the idea of this type of lasagna.. it sounds really tasty, and a bit of health thrown in. 5 stars!!

20. Barbara Bakes October 8, 2009 at 11:49 pm - Reply

lol – why would you even suggest hot dogs with lasagna? Your lasagna looks delightful not just okay!

21. Kathleen October 9, 2009 at 3:35 am - Reply

Oh honeyb! Just like a man to think he's the star! LOL! You two are toooo cute! This recipe looks delicious and your photos, as usual, are stunning!! You are my idol my new friend!!!

22. teresa October 9, 2009 at 3:04 pm - Reply

delicious! i would gobble up the whole pan, i love butternut squash!

23. Hillary October 9, 2009 at 5:25 pm - Reply

Shelby, I usually prefer regular lasagna but you've made squash lasagna look outstanding!!

24. Aggie October 9, 2009 at 6:07 pm - Reply

I haven't had much butternut squash in my life…tried it a couple of times and liked it! This looks fantastic Shelby…I wish you could make some for me! 🙂

25. the ungourmet October 10, 2009 at 2:52 am - Reply

Darn! I was just at the store doing my main shopping for the week and I almost picked up butternut but ended up with some other pretty squash instead. I guess I'll have to make another trip huh! That's okay, they were out of my favorite pretzel balls so I have to go back anyway. 😀

26. Jamie October 10, 2009 at 2:18 pm - Reply

That looks amazing Shelby. Glad Grumpy ended up liking this version of lasagna. I've never cooked Butternut Squash. It's something I've been wanting to try.

27. Kevin October 10, 2009 at 6:46 pm - Reply

Sweet butternut squash goes so well in cheesy baked pastas like this lasagna!

28. Pam October 12, 2009 at 5:43 pm - Reply

I literally moaned when I saw the first photo – it looks amazing.

29. The Food Hunter October 14, 2009 at 3:35 pm - Reply

What a great idea. It looks delicious.

30. Linda October 18, 2009 at 3:39 am - Reply

I knew Grumpy would come around 😉

That is a recipe I'll have to try!

31. Stacey Snacks October 18, 2009 at 8:31 pm - Reply

Funny, my husband probably won't like this either!
    But too bad! I have had it bookmarked and now that you say you loved it, I am making it, pronto!
    Thanks for trying it out!!

32. Ruth Daniels October 30, 2009 at 12:30 pm - Reply

It does look like the perfect dish for the butternut squash sitting on my counter 😉

Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

33. Yum Yucky November 12, 2009 at 2:25 am - Reply

oh gawsh. that looks beautiful !!!

34. Anonymous September 29, 2019 at 4:56 pm - Reply