Let me introduce you to Haley of Appoggiatura. Haley and I are facebook friends and when she saw that I posted on my fan page for Grumpy’s Honeybunch that I was looking for some guest bloggers for my week I was away she jumped on board and volunteered to help 🙂 She has made an awesome muffin to share with you today while I am enjoying my time in the Bahamas! After you read her post here, you really should go check her blog out by clicking here!

Blackberry Polenta Muffin
Summer: is there any other season in which we do extra work in the pursuit of “fun?” I present to you Exhibit A: Pick Your Own farms. This past weekend, I was jonesing for berries. I grew up in the country, in South Georgia. Fresh fruits and vegetables were plentiful; we had a large garden and fruit trees and bushes aplenty. Nuts, too– pecans and hickory nuts. As a child I provided some willing manual labor in the harvesting of these delights. Somehow, my bug phobia never stopped me from wanting to “scratch” for potatoes or venture down into the soggy, swampy blueberry patch where you were just sure to get eaten alive by red bugs. Perhaps fueled by nostalgia, I wanted fresh berries this year. And, I wanted to pick them myself. I envisioned a couple of days playing Holly Homemaker, converting berries to jam and making desserts.
Blackberries at the farm

So, my husband and I put in some sweat equity this year, and our yield was 2 1/2 quarts of blackberries and a pint of raspberries. I didn’t get the mixed berry festival that I was pining for, but I got some great berries, a tummy ache, some scratches, and one squealy screaming fit when a beetle crawled on me. But we had fun, I swear! I made a blackberry cobbler, 7 8 oz. jars of blackberry preserves, froze a few pints of berries, snacked on some fresh one, and made these:
Blackberry Polenta Muffins

Blackberry Polenta Muffins.
I’ve made a few breads with polenta lately, and I love the crunch that the coarse cornmeal add to the breads. It’s a great texture. Plus, the sweetly intense corn flavor adds the essence of summer to every bite. Who doesn’t like corn in summer? The key to adding polenta to your baked goods, as I’ve learned from Peter Reinhart, is to make a soaker of the polenta in either some water or buttermilk the night before you want to bake. The polenta soaks overnight in the liquid, which softens it and lures the flavor out. It’s a great way to use some of the polenta hanging out in your pantry, but you have to plan your muffins just a little ahead. Stirring polenta into some liquid to rest overnight isn’t really any extra work, and the results are worth the tiny amount of planning. When you bite into a warm, vanilla-scented muffin, and the sweet, summer tang of a fresh blackberry melds with the gently sweet crunch of polenta you’ll be glad of the five minutes you spent making that soaker.

Blackberry Polenta Muffins
These muffins are vanilla-scented and sweet. They’re not your morning bran muffins, but the polenta gives them a more substantial texture. The batter comes together very easily, and no mixers are needed as the butter is melted and not creamed with the sugar. Taste your berries before you add any to the batter; if they are very tart, you can increase the amount of sugar in the muffins (you could double it really, but it’s not necessary). I like mine lightly sweetened. When you are ready to fill your muffin tins, use an ice cream scoop to measure them out. It’s the way to go! It keeps your muffins evenly sized and well-formed. To finish the muffins, rather than opting for streusel or a glaze on top, I press one berry into the center of each muffin and sprinkle them with a bit of sparkling sugar. These muffins are winners– tender, sweet, and berry-rich, filled with the scent and flavors of summer nostalgia and homemade comfort.
Blackberry Polenta Muffins

• 1/2 C polenta (coarse ground yellow cornmeal)
  • 1/2 C buttermilk
  • 1 C all purpose flour
  • 1/3 C sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 C butter, melted
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 pint fresh blackberries
  • sparkling sugar and a dozen berries to top

The night before making your muffins, stir the polenta into the buttermilk. Cover with plastic wrap and let it sit out at room temperature overnight. (Trust me.)

The next day, preheat your oven to 350¼. Sift your dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl: flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Let your melted butter come to room temperature, then whisk it into the beaten egg with the vanilla. When this is well combined, whisk in your polenta and buttermilk soaker. Mix well, then slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry, whisking constantly. When the dry ingredients and the wet are fully combined, fold in the berries.

Next, line a muffin tin with muffin wrappers. Using an ice cream scoop, measure out one scoop into each cup. Press a single blackberry into the center of each muffin, then sprinkle the tops with sparkling sugar.

Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes, until they are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean. Let cool on a rack before serving.

Makes 12 muffins.

1. Creative One August 14, 2009 at 4:51 am - Reply

These muffins sound tasty. Your photos are great. Awesome post Haley.

2. the ungourmet August 14, 2009 at 5:40 am - Reply

It's nice to have such great friends to post wonderful recipes like this one while you are enjoying lots of fun in the sun!

I love these! Yum!

3. Katy ~ August 14, 2009 at 11:45 am - Reply

Gorgeous, gorgeous photos!

I have never had polenta and now I feel a horrible gap in my life. I shall have to change that because this looks so good!

4. Miakoda August 14, 2009 at 2:22 pm - Reply

They look so perfect! I love berries in muffins! 🙂

5. Ingrid August 14, 2009 at 4:30 pm - Reply

Hi, thanks for sharing. I made a blackberry cornmeal loaf a couple of weeks ago and my daughter and I loved it! I couldn't find cornmeal so I used polenta which I thought worked fine. Next time I will try your soaking (thank you) tip and see how it goes. I have more blackberries and will be giving your recipe a try!
    ~ingrid

Happy Friday!
    ~ingrid

6. Pam August 14, 2009 at 4:56 pm - Reply

I am loving these muffins – we have fresh blackberries growing all over my neighborhood. I need to go pick some and make these beauties.

Hope you are having so much fun on your cruise.

7. Coleen's Recipes August 14, 2009 at 7:48 pm - Reply

BEAUTIFUL berry pictures. I agree with you, there is something very satisfying about picking and preserving.

8. Barbara Bakes August 14, 2009 at 10:53 pm - Reply

I love the color of these muffins! How fun to pick your own berries. Hope your having fun in the Bahamas!

9. gail August 15, 2009 at 12:42 am - Reply

Oh I LOVE this! Two of my favorites!

10. bobby August 15, 2009 at 12:50 am - Reply

Looks fantastic! I have to go pick some blackberries one of these days and get to work. I could go for one of these right about now 🙂

11. Alejandra August 15, 2009 at 1:43 pm - Reply

Oh wow!! These look incredible. I'm waiting for my groceries to be delivered, but as soon as they get here I will absolutely be putting a batch of these in the oven!

12. Grace August 15, 2009 at 3:02 pm - Reply

cornmeal never had it so good. i LOVE the decorous blackberry plopped into the center, too–so attractive. 🙂

13. Carrian August 16, 2009 at 3:10 am - Reply

Ok yum! I love mixing it up with muffins and this is another example of a yummy one from this blog!

14. lisaiscooking August 16, 2009 at 2:42 pm - Reply

Blackberries sound perfect in the polenta batter! The preserves sound great too. So jealous!

15. Lo August 17, 2009 at 2:08 pm - Reply

Well, would you just look at those?? Perfect! I love blackberries — from their delicious, alluring shape, to their color, to their flavor.

Nice way to feature the few we see this time of the year!

16. Spryte August 17, 2009 at 7:40 pm - Reply

Those look delicious!!

17. pigpigscorner August 18, 2009 at 7:44 pm - Reply

yuuuum, wonderful post and great pictures!

18. the happy couple August 21, 2009 at 2:51 am - Reply

what an amazing combo!

19. HealthJunkie February 12, 2010 at 4:46 pm - Reply

OK! Those just look way too good. I am a huge fan of blackberries and the polenta is an interesting addition. I really like your blog. i wanted to invite you to check mine out

It's all about recipes and health food

20. Wendy September 7, 2019 at 10:55 am - Reply

I’ve made these about two dozen times and love them. Thank you! I use sour milk instead of buttermilk and will use any fruit–blueberries, peaches, whatever is hanging around :))

• Shelby Law Ruttan September 8, 2019 at 7:47 am - Reply

Hi Wendy, so happy to hear you love these muffins! Thanks for stopping by to let me know!