Last Friday evening I was in the mood for something pizza like. Its kind of funny how Friday night is pizza night for many people. I think it is because it is the end of the work week and most of us are too tired to think about what to make for dinner and it is easy to think about stopping at the pizza shop on the way home. Well, because I am trying to stay healthy and didn’t want to bring home a whole pizza pie that I would eat more than I needed of and that Grumpy would finish….I decided to try these calzones that I had been looking at in an older issue of Cooking Light. I had bought the sausage earlier in the week because I saw it in the store and knew that it was one of the ingredients for this calzone. The dough was super easy to work with and tasted great! If you like sweet, you will like this. Grumpy ate his, but he wasn’t crazy about it – he definitely wants more cheese. However, I was very pleased and froze the remaining single servings (the greatest part of this recipe!) and can now pull this out for myself to take to work or have one evening when I’m making something different for Grumpy.

Sausage and Mushroom Calzones
adapted from Cooking Light, May 2007

Dough:
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided (about 12 1/3 ounces)
1 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
Dash of sugar
1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Cooking spray

Filling:
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 cup chopped onion (about 1)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound chicken apple sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices (I used Al Fresco)
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
1/4 cup 2% low-fat cottage cheese
2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

To prepare dough, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 1/2 cup flour, 1 cup warm water, yeast, and sugar in a large bowl; let stand 15 minutes. Gradually add 1 3/4 cups flour, 1 tablespoon oil, and 3/4 teaspoon salt; stir until a soft dough forms. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining 1/2 cup flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands.
Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)
To prepare filling, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add bell pepper, onion, garlic, and sausage; sauté 10 minutes or until tender. Spoon mixture into a bowl; cool slightly. Add mozzarella and remaining ingredients to sausage mixture; stir well.
Preheat oven to 450°.
Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Divide into 8 equal portions. Roll each portion into a 6-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Spoon about 1/2 cup sausage mixture onto half of each circle, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Fold dough over filling; crimp edges of dough with fingers to seal. Place calzones on a large baking sheet lined with foil and coated with cooking spray. Pierce the tops of the dough once with a fork. Lightly coat the calzones with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 14 minutes or until browned. Remove from oven. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Coat a sheet of foil with cooking spray. Place 1 calzone on coated side of foil; seal. Repeat procedure with remaining calzones and cooking spray. Place calzones in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; freeze.
Preheat oven to 450°.
To reheat, place foil-wrapped, frozen calzones on a large baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 40 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Calories: 327 (30% from fat), Fat: 10.7g (sat 3.5g,mono 2.4g,poly 0.6g, Protein: 16.3g, Carbohydrate: 42g, Fiber: 4g, Cholesterol: 49mg, Iron: 3.2mg, Sodium: 680mg, Calcium: 124mg

WW Points: 7

1. Gera @ SweetsFoods June 17, 2009 at 11:05 pm - Reply

What a great invention the calzones… a big empanada or big pizza folded to the middle!
    No doubt that this with sausage and mushrooms must be glorious 🙂 Yummmm!

Cheers!

Gera

2. Katy ~ June 17, 2009 at 11:24 pm - Reply

I'm behind on commenting on my blogging friend's wonderful recipes! Calzones are so tasty and filling. This looks great. You've read my mind because I've been wanting one!

3. Linda June 17, 2009 at 11:40 pm - Reply

I love calzones…and these look wonderful!! Non-fattening I'm sure!

4. Coleen's Recipes June 18, 2009 at 12:13 am - Reply

YOUR Grumpy and MY Grumpy must be related. MY Grumpy needs lots of cheese and lots of pepperoni before he thinks it tastes like pizza lol. Personally, I think yours looks excellent! How did you get a yeast dough that thin?

5. Mags June 18, 2009 at 1:24 am - Reply

Those look great! I can think of all kinds of things to stuff inside them. Great recipe!

6. HoneyB June 18, 2009 at 1:32 am - Reply

Coleen, the dough was really easy to work with but because you cut it into 8 pieces it seems small. I rolled it with my rolling pin to get it to the size I needed. It was great and had no rips or tears. I was impressed! :o)

Grumpy likes "fat" food – but right now I'm being strict and feeding him "healthy" because he wants to feel better himself…I can't believe he agreed to let me!!

7. Meg June 18, 2009 at 1:46 am - Reply

Wow! What amazing calzones! Great job!

8. Tracey June 18, 2009 at 1:46 am - Reply

These look great! My husband would probably not be a fan, but I think I'd really like them! The fact that they're healthy is a bonus.

9. Delectable Dining June 18, 2009 at 1:58 am - Reply

These look great! I love that you can freeze them for later on. These are perfect for during the work week!

10. Bellini Valli June 18, 2009 at 2:03 am - Reply

Friday is definitely pizza night. I love the lighter version, although I do love cheese too:D

11. Jessie June 18, 2009 at 2:32 am - Reply

oh pizza nights happen once every two weeks here lol I love that this is a healthier version because you know I am like you and I try to cook healthy meals.

Thanks for sharing 🙂

12. TeaLady June 18, 2009 at 4:41 am - Reply

Calzones. That's perfect way to make breads and sandwiches at the same time. Thanks for sharing.

13. Ivy June 18, 2009 at 8:18 am - Reply

Thanks for passing from my blog and sorry for not passing earlier. Although I have never made calzone before we make these in Greece but with different fillings. I sure would like to try these calzone as they sound delicious.

14. Bobby June 18, 2009 at 9:40 am - Reply

These look great, I love calzones! The filling in your sounds amazing.

15. Katie June 18, 2009 at 12:56 pm - Reply

These look wonderful, Shelby! I have some venison sausage that I am definitely going to make with these soon!

16. the happy couple June 18, 2009 at 3:24 pm - Reply

your dough looks beautiful!

17. Patsyk June 18, 2009 at 4:42 pm - Reply

They look amazing! I've made these in the past and had forgotten about them! Thanks for reminding me how delicious they are!

18. Ruth June 18, 2009 at 7:09 pm - Reply

Sausage and mushrooms! Great combo, great recipe idea!

19. Laura June 18, 2009 at 9:13 pm - Reply

Those look good. Grumpy's off his rocker. 😉

20. Reeni♥ June 18, 2009 at 10:31 pm - Reply

These look so delicious! I wish I were having them for dinner!

21. Linda June 19, 2009 at 11:26 am - Reply

I've never had chicken apple sausage before–it sounds delicious. Your calzones are picture-perfect!

22. TeaLady June 19, 2009 at 8:09 pm - Reply

Okay. I am hooked. These were soooo easy to make. I love the fact that there are so many possibilities for filling. Ham/Cheese. Pizza toppings mixed. I just finished 1/2 of a mushroom/swiss calzone. Thanks again for the recipe.

23. Creative One June 20, 2009 at 11:10 am - Reply

Love calzones. These look and sound so delicious!