Wow, I just looked at my posts for the month of April and I really was slowed down from my surgery! I have my good days and I have my bad days. This morning I have had a lot of aching. I really think the muscle relaxers that I have been taking just aren’t working anymore like they were. I try not to take them during the day now that I have been out of surgery for 5 weeks. I have a strong desire to be back to normal and go back to work but it just it taking too long for me. Yeah. I’m impatient!

Last week I didn’t have to worry about much cooking and really didn’t do any baking except for Nanny’s Oatmeal Cookie recipe and a Strawberry Pie (which I may be posting later this week). I didn’t have to cook dinner all week because Grumpy has been busy at work and getting home too late to eat dinner. Kind of a good thing since I didn’t really have the energy to cook meals anyway.

Saturday we never had a real “cooked” meal. We went to see if we could find a truck for Grumpy and he has decided that he wants a Toyota Tundra! My Chevy man is looking at something not a Chevy! He test drove two trucks and loved them both. We just have to make the money part work before we commit to anything. Story of life isn’t it?

Last night I actually decided to “fix” dinner. We had these burgers and sweet potato fries. The ground sirloin burger was just seasoned and grilled. I sauteed some onions and mushrooms to top the burger with. There are several recipes all over the internet for baked sweet potato fries. Just do a search and you will come up with many different versions. I enjoyed them baked but Grumpy wants me to fry them next time (go figure!). I adapted the recipe below to suit our taste.

Oven Baked Spicy Sweet Potato Fries

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced in long strips
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place sliced potatoes in a large bowl and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, then sprinkle mixture of cumin, salt and cayenne pepper and toss to coat well. Drizzle some olive oil on baking sheet. Spread potatoes in single layer on sheet. Place in oven and let bake for 15 minutes. Turn fries over and return to oven for another 10 to 15 minutes.

1. anja3582 April 27, 2009 at 5:43 pm - Reply

I’m not really sure how you got the burger to fit in your mouth, but it looks so delish! Mmmmmm!

2. Marthe April 27, 2009 at 6:00 pm - Reply

Yum, this looks really good. I just ate some pasta, but these pics are making me hungry again!

3. Barbara Bakes April 27, 2009 at 6:00 pm - Reply

I just got a new BBQ and have been wanting to cook up some burgers. The sweet potato fries would be a great addition! And I like that they are baked.

4. Lisa April 27, 2009 at 6:14 pm - Reply

This is exactly how I like my burgers!And I love the fries too.

5. Creative One April 27, 2009 at 6:14 pm - Reply

Who could resist burger and fries? Not me! Looks delicious.

6. averagebetty April 27, 2009 at 6:33 pm - Reply

Those fries look fabulous!

7. Coleen's Recipes April 27, 2009 at 6:42 pm - Reply

I haven't tried sweet potato fries yet, thanks for the recipe. That burger is what I call a "knife & fork" burger…looks mouth watering.

8. Tracy April 27, 2009 at 6:44 pm - Reply

That burger looks incredible!

9. Hillary April 27, 2009 at 6:57 pm - Reply

These burgers look so great! I actually had a delicious burger the other night at a bar, it was topped with cheddar and kalamata olives! The olives were awesome.

10. gail April 27, 2009 at 7:03 pm - Reply

That looks ridiculously good – I think people dream of burgers like that!!

11. Jessie April 27, 2009 at 7:35 pm - Reply

awesome burger! I love a busy burger where there are all kinds of flavors and toppings going on 🙂

12. Katy April 27, 2009 at 7:56 pm - Reply

YUMMM YUMMM Sweet potato fries!

13. Hugging the Coast April 27, 2009 at 11:12 pm - Reply

That photo which shows the cross section of the burger just kills me! Wow!

14. Christie @ Fig & Cherry April 27, 2009 at 11:51 pm - Reply

I lurve sweet potato fries! Plus those caramelised onions look delicious!

15. noble pig April 28, 2009 at 12:17 am - Reply

Since I’ve been reading your blog this is Grumpy’s second truck and I still have the same car…hmmmm.

The burgs and fries look delicious though!

16. Reeni♥ April 28, 2009 at 12:22 am - Reply

They look delicious! You can’t go wrong with a good burger and sweet potato fries, yum!!! Hope you get back to feeling 100% real soon!!

17. Linda April 28, 2009 at 12:44 am - Reply

I’d like a bite of that!! YUM!
    I love sweet potato fries too. Nice that you baked them.
    I can’t believe it has already been 5 weeks since your surgery!
    Hope you are coming along…it takes time.

18. Patsyk April 28, 2009 at 2:06 am - Reply

Looks like a great dinner! I love sweet potatoes, and turning them into fries sounds perfect!

Hope you continue on the mend. Have to let the body do it’s thing, so don’t rush it!

19. Tangled Noodle April 28, 2009 at 2:08 am - Reply

This is just about the most perfect meal I can think of! I love sweet potato fries – I could eat them every day. Take your time getting better!

20. tamilyn April 28, 2009 at 4:13 am - Reply

Fantastic! I’m starving all over again now!

21. Elyse April 28, 2009 at 5:20 am - Reply

I hope your back is back to 100% in no time! I’m sorry this morning was a bit off for you; here’s hoping tomorrow is a pain-free day. I’m glad that you had a chance to make a homemade meal for you and Grumpy–these burgers look incredible!! Not to mention, sweet potato fries are my fav. One of my favorite restaurants in Chapel Hill served sweet potato fries with a sprinkling of brown sugar…sooo good!

22. Katie April 28, 2009 at 6:09 am - Reply

Those fries are so crispy! I would say don’t even bother frying them, if you can get them that crispy in the oven. They look delicious.

As for that burger? Well, now. I could say some things about that burger, but they would be indecent.

23. Cristine April 28, 2009 at 8:41 am - Reply

Great looking meal! I hope you start feeling like your normal self again soon! 🙂

24. Pam April 28, 2009 at 2:48 pm - Reply

You can’t beat caramelized onions on burgers – your sweet potato fries look so good too.

Hope you feel better soon.

25. Spryte April 28, 2009 at 5:26 pm - Reply

Now THAT is a burger!!

26. Delectable Dining April 28, 2009 at 6:24 pm - Reply

This looks wonderful! Hope you are feeling better!

27. JMom April 29, 2009 at 5:47 pm - Reply

You just made me want some burgers. That looks delicious!