Junior Mint Brownies

Deep, dark, chocolate fudge with a hint of mint! These Junior Mint Brownies have great texture and flavor and just one pan of them will disappear fast between just two people. Don’t ask me how I know…..

Junior Mint Brownies
What is it that makes us all think of the same thing (or food) at the same time? What is it about brownies lately that have us all thinking about them? I’m not sure what the answer is to that question. Maybe its because we all (guys and girls!) are having chocolate cravings?

Junior Mint Brownies
Of course, I am trying to make things in the house healthier so Grumpy doesn’t blame me anymore for his getting fat (did I just say that?)! Cooking Light has a lot of brownie recipes. I have earmarked a few recipes that I want to try and if they turn out and are scrumptious, I will share them with you.

Junior Mint Brownies
Which brings us to today’s post. The Junior Mint Brownie, published in Cooking Light, March 1999 magazine. Ten years later I am finally making it. I don’t know why it took me so long, I love chocolate, I love brownies, and I love mint! It won’t be another 10 years before I make this recipe again, that is for certain!

Junior Mint Brownies
Want to try some other luscious looking brownies? These sites have been tempting me with their yummy chocolatey goodness! Below are other bloggers who have been thinking about brownies too!

Brownies
by Matt’s Kitchen
Brownies with Caramel Creme Fraiche by Chocolate Shavings
“Baked” Brownies by The Spiced Life
Nutella Chocolate Fudge Brownies by Spatulas, Corkscrews & Suitcases

Junior Mint Brownies
Author: From Cooking Light Magazine
Ingredients
  • Junior Mint Brownies
  • Cooking Light, March 1999
  • Cooking spray
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 32 (about 3 ounces) creamy, small-size mints in pure chocolate (such as Junior Mints)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large egg white
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Coat bottom of an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
  3. Combine butter and mints in a 2-cup glass measure; microwave at high 30 seconds or until soft. Stir until smooth, and set aside.
  4. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Combine flour, soda, and salt in a bowl. Combine sugar, cocoa, egg, and egg white in a large bowl; beat at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended. Add mint mixture; beat well. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until blended. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean; cool completely on a wire rack.
Notes
This makes 16 brownies at 121 calories per brownie![br]I used Penzey’s cocoa powder to make this recipe. I highly recommend it! This cocoa powder brings real richness and fudginess to the recipe that you won’t get with other cocoa powders.

Pin it! Junior Mint Brownies

Junior Mint Brownies

1. Barbara Bakes January 15, 2009 at 6:14 am - Reply

Mint brownies are great! I never would have thought of melting the mints and mixing them in. Did you really cut an 8 inch pan into 16 pieces?

• Shelby January 8, 2017 at 11:12 am - Reply

I made these again today and I cut the brownies into 16 pieces 🙂 4 brownies x 4 brownies (=16!) 🙂

2. noble pig January 15, 2009 at 7:51 am - Reply

I don’t think you could have posted anything more awesome. I am in heaven…I mean seriously!

3. Cakelaw January 15, 2009 at 7:55 am - Reply

Low fat and oozing with chocolate – what could be more perfect!

4. natalia January 15, 2009 at 9:36 am - Reply

Wow thwsw are super I love mint and chocolate ! I wonder if I could find some chocolate mint ‘balls’ around ! About saltines (a bit late..) we have them and just call them ‘i ritz’ !! Baci

5. pigpigscorner January 15, 2009 at 10:36 am - Reply

Wow that looks amazing! and loving the word light!

6. Debbie January 15, 2009 at 11:57 am - Reply

I absolutely love Junior mints!! And these are in a brownie….how good can it get! Thanks for this recipe.

7. Patsyk January 15, 2009 at 1:18 pm - Reply

I made another CL brownie recipe… it should be posted by Friday. These look great, not sure how I missed marking them to try! They go on the list now!

8. Tangled Noodle January 15, 2009 at 1:37 pm - Reply

Junior Mints are usually my movie theater treat but now I have reason to have them at home. Mr. Noodle will love these – chocolate and mint combo is his favorite! Thank you for saving then sharing this recipe.

9. Meg January 15, 2009 at 2:16 pm - Reply

Junior mints + brownies = LOVE!

10. Carrie January 15, 2009 at 2:28 pm - Reply

Yum!! Those look divine in their chocolatey-ness.

11. Cathy January 15, 2009 at 3:03 pm - Reply

Light!!!…with junior mints. Too good to be true.

They look so fudgy and chewy. Yum.

12. Happy cook January 15, 2009 at 3:25 pm - Reply

They looks so yummy delicious. The pic is just calling me saying eat me eat me 🙂

13. Bob January 15, 2009 at 3:30 pm - Reply

Those look wicked good. I’m trying to cook lighter too, I’ll have to snag this recipe. 🙂

14. 5 Star Foodie January 15, 2009 at 4:02 pm - Reply

These brownies look really good and I certainly have a craving for chocolate now!

15. AK Mom January 15, 2009 at 4:12 pm - Reply

Junior Mints in brownies…what a wonderful idea!!
    These brownies look really yummy!!

16. Katypi January 15, 2009 at 4:48 pm - Reply

I just happen to have some Junior Mints sitting on my kitchen counter….

17. Veronica January 15, 2009 at 5:09 pm - Reply

I love Junior Mints!! These look very moist for a “light” brownie.

18. Jessie January 15, 2009 at 5:58 pm - Reply

Love, love, love it! Junior Mints are the best. Thanks so much! 😀

+Jessie
    a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse

19. Robin Sue January 15, 2009 at 6:04 pm - Reply

Great idea for junior mints! Everytime I think of junior mints of think of that Seinfeld episode when Kramer dropped a junior mint down into someone getting sugery. Did you see that one? Anyway these look so fudgy and yummy!

20. Pam January 15, 2009 at 6:23 pm - Reply

My Junior Mint loving husband and children would love these little beauties. Excellent recipe.

21. Gera January 15, 2009 at 6:24 pm - Reply

Big fan of mint brownies so delicious..yeah chocolatey goodness! Thanks so much Shelby 🙂

Gera .:. sweetsfoods

22. Creative One January 15, 2009 at 6:41 pm - Reply

Randy would love these brownies, he is a big fan of mints.

23. Linda January 15, 2009 at 6:57 pm - Reply

I could take a bite of one these right now! My husband will love these!

24. Reeni♥ January 15, 2009 at 7:16 pm - Reply

I love Junior Mints. These look so lovely, yummy!

25. Laura January 15, 2009 at 7:22 pm - Reply

Your comment re: Grumpy cracked me up! These look great–I might need to make MORE brownies soon! Do you think they would work well with miniature baking York peppermint patties also? I have some sitting in the cupboard….

26. pinkstripes January 15, 2009 at 7:46 pm - Reply

I love junior mints. They’re my favorite movie treat.

Your brownies look delicious. I can’t believe they are a cooking light recipe.

27. nicole January 15, 2009 at 8:16 pm - Reply

Mmmm… these brownies look yummy!

28. Bellini Valli January 15, 2009 at 11:48 pm - Reply

We are on the same wave length HoneyB…I have had brownbies on my mind too. These are from Cooking Light so have an added bonus!!

29. JyLnC January 15, 2009 at 11:52 pm - Reply

I love Junior Mints and I will definitely copy and try this recipe!

30. The Peanut Butter Boy January 16, 2009 at 12:09 am - Reply

Darn those look good. I’ve never had a mint brownie actually, I can’t see it being better than a good ol’ chocolate one!

31. averagebetty January 16, 2009 at 12:55 am - Reply

Perfect for the mint lovers in your life – I bet these blow away those dry, processed Thin Mint GS cookies any day! Love it HoneyB 🙂

32. Jessie January 16, 2009 at 1:12 am - Reply

Junior Mints,Brownies and Chocolate? I’m sold! and I love that it is light 🙂

33. Dee January 16, 2009 at 1:40 am - Reply

If there were a jr. mint to be had anywhere in Mexico I would be baking these! I am bound to bake a batch of brownies soon after you & Mistress have made me dream of chocolate in it's highest form! Beautiful brownie photos!

34. Matt's Kitchen January 16, 2009 at 2:14 am - Reply

I loved junior mints as a kid.I will be making these. What a brilliant combination! I even have the recipe for these in one of my Cooking Light books. How did I never notice it before? Thanks for sharing it!

35. tamilyn January 16, 2009 at 5:19 am - Reply

Yum-O to quote RR. Those look delish!

36. Sam Sotiropoulos January 16, 2009 at 10:29 am - Reply

Oh! You found my weak spot with this one… I am a chocolate monster and I am certain I could eat a whole pan of this exceedingly moist looking batch of brownies! The addition of the choco-mints is a nice touch! Mint chocolate treats have always been one of my weaknesses… Glutton that I can be, I used to eat entire boxes of “After-Eight” mints in one sitting 🙂 Gulp!

37. Jenny January 16, 2009 at 2:31 pm - Reply

OH how I love Jr Mints, these brownies look beautiful!!

38. Mary Ann January 16, 2009 at 6:06 pm - Reply

Oh, junior mints are my favorite! These are definitely getting made soon, if I don’t eat all the candy first!

39. Amanda January 17, 2009 at 2:21 am - Reply

Wow those look amazing! I will definitely be trying these 🙂

40. Donna January 17, 2009 at 6:34 pm - Reply

Hey Girl!
    Thanks for the link love! All of a sudden I started getting a number of hits from your blog! I’m thinking, what’s up? And there’s a link to my Nutella Brownies! Thanks! I owe you one!

41. Cristine January 18, 2009 at 9:57 am - Reply

Oh wow! These look FANTASTIC! You tempt me so…..

42. Junior Mint Brownies - Yum Goggle January 8, 2017 at 1:46 pm - Reply