Apples, cinnamon, sugar, butter, pastry dough. Yum. But what makes it even better? Butter rum sauce! Whenever I visit my brother I love to have him make me his Apple Dumplings with Butter Rum Sauce. The first time he made them for me (quite a few years ago now!) I knew I had eaten something that I would love forever!

Steve graciously placated me and allowed me to take photos of him making his dumplings. I have to admit we had some good laughs over it. :0)

Steve always makes his pastry dough from scratch. Me, I have been known to cheat before but if I were to make my own pastry for this (and I probably would if I wasn’t feeling lazy) I would use this recipe from my Apple Pie post and the same recipe Steve uses.

Steve uses a pastry cloth to roll his dough out on, but you could also use parchment paper or a pastry sheet.

Roll the crust thin and then center your cored and peeled apple on the round. Steve always uses either Granny Smith or Cortland apples because they are a firmer apple.

Spoon about a tablespoon of butter and 1/2 tablespoon of sugar into the hole in your apple. Then sprinkle with cinnamon. I’m guesstimating on the amounts because Steve doesn’t measure. He just puts the ingredients there.

Fold the dough around the apple and seal.

Bake the dumplings at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Now for the part that makes the dumplings to die for! The rum sauce! This is the same recipe I have seen for the rum glaze that goes on the rum cakes – but it is awesome on the dumplings….trust me!

You melt 1 stick of butter in a saucepan. Add 1/4 cup water and 1 cup sugar. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and slowly (and carefully) add 1/2 cup of Meyer’s spiced rum.

Pour over your dumpling as pictured above OR put a hole in your dumpling like I do below and fill it up with all that rummy goodness and enjoy! Feel free to serve with vanilla ice cream. Steve did. :0)

I want to thank my wonderful, handsome brother for being so good to me and letting me do this with him. Most of all, for making this for me so I could eat some! Who knows, I may be too stubborn to do this myself at home and it could be another year before I get it again!

1. JyLnC December 31, 2008 at 6:55 am - Reply

I love anything with Apples! It looks simple to make except for the pastry from scratch part. I might have to cheat and purchase the refrigerated kind. I’m impressed with your brother’s talents.

2. Danielle December 31, 2008 at 10:13 am - Reply

Wow I am drooling! I love apples in pie, on my ice cream, etc… I have never had an apple dumpling though I think I need to try one now. Thanks for shareing 🙂

3. Barbara Bakes December 31, 2008 at 10:28 am - Reply

A brother who cooks – how wonderful! A good sauce definitely makes everything better!

4. Lisa December 31, 2008 at 1:31 pm - Reply

Yummy! It must be so nice to cook with your brother. Happy New Year!

5. ~Vanessa~ December 31, 2008 at 1:44 pm - Reply

My husband is going to love this for sure! How great that both you and your brother are so handy in the kitchen. What great genes! 🙂

Happy New Year!

Vanessa

6. Bellini Valli December 31, 2008 at 1:55 pm - Reply

Thanks for sharing your brothers dumpling recipe with us HoneyB. I love a man who cooks. My dad always made bread, fritters and brandy snaps.

7. CookiePie December 31, 2008 at 2:43 pm - Reply

Oooooh YUM! You had me at “apple dumplings,” but with rum sauce? Delish!

Happy new year! xo

8. kellypea December 31, 2008 at 4:16 pm - Reply

Sounds like so much fun. There’s no way my brother would let me do this -and thanks, because I’ve tried to make these only once and completely failed! I’m drooling right now. Happy New Year to you!

9. Bunny December 31, 2008 at 4:46 pm - Reply

Your brothers dough looks so nice and soft and easy to work with! These are GREAT looking apple dumplings, your brother has perfected making them very nicely!

10. noble pig December 31, 2008 at 5:56 pm - Reply

Talent runs in the family! This looks so, so good and decadent…thanks for sharing this family favorite!

11. Elra December 31, 2008 at 6:11 pm - Reply

Just a quick note to wish you a happy new year. I wish you and your love one always in a good health, lot’s of luck and all beautiful things come in year 2009.
    Best wishes,
    Elra

12. Pam December 31, 2008 at 6:15 pm - Reply

Oh my. What a great brother – this looks delicious. I love that he uses spiced rum in his rum sauce – YUM.

Happy New Year Shelby.

13. Maria December 31, 2008 at 6:22 pm - Reply

Looks like you had a great time in the kitchen! And the end results look amazing!! Happy New Year!

14. creative one December 31, 2008 at 6:30 pm - Reply

Never had an apple dumpling, sounds delicious.

15. ♥Reeni December 31, 2008 at 8:31 pm - Reply

Awesome baking skills must run in your family. How delicious! I love the sauce, yumminess!

16. AK Mom January 1, 2009 at 12:13 am - Reply

This looks so good. The rum sauce sounds fantastic! I’m definitely going to have to try this one. 🙂

I hope you and your family enjoy a very Happy New Year!!

17. Kevin January 1, 2009 at 12:28 am - Reply

Baked apples with pastry and rum glaze…mmm…

Happy new year!

18. J.Danger January 1, 2009 at 7:16 am - Reply

What an adorable post! They look so good! I made regular dumplings tonight for the first time. I did it! But now scrumptious apple and butter in mine. So sad.

19. natalia January 1, 2009 at 10:40 am - Reply

Ciao ! I love it ! Being with your brother and he was baking for you (and us ) ! My brother is a good cook but never bakes !Happy new year my friend !BACI

20. Cristine January 1, 2009 at 12:23 pm - Reply

YUM! I’m making apple dumplings for Nathan… I’ll have to try the sauce!

21. n.o.e January 2, 2009 at 5:45 am - Reply

Isn’t it fun to cook with – and photograph – family members? And those apple dumplings look fantastic.
    Nancy

22. Cakelaw January 3, 2009 at 5:50 am - Reply

I wish that my brother would make these for me!

23. Matt January 3, 2009 at 10:48 am - Reply

That is my kind of dessert. It’s very rustic and homey and perfect for a cold wintry day…