I was busy baking. Again. With the rest of the TWD bakers. I can’t pronounce this weeks treat either. But I did get someone who knows German to pronounce it for me. I also took them into work for fear I would have eaten the entire recipe by myself. Yeah. They are that good. That good even with my mistake! 🙂

For this week, Piggy of Piggy’s Cooking Journal chose, Rugelach from pages 150 and 151 of Dorie’s Baking cookbook. I was stuck home last Wednesday so I did quite a bit of baking. I made the Maple Walnut Biscotti and Individual Chicken Potpies along with the Rugelach!

This is a really great, flaky, not too sweet treat. I am really glad that Piggy chose this because I probably would have never made it myself just by looking at the photo and reading the ingredients. You know how you get that “mind set” about certain things and you “think” you probably wouldn’t like it? Well, I really need to grow out of that. I mean, I AM over 40 now and getting older every day!

The recipe used instructions for a food processor which I do not have (I have a mini one, not one I can use for recipes of this scale). I only don’t have one because I continue to convince myself I don’t really need one. So, I haven’t broken down and spent the money for one yet because I just don’t “think” I need it. There I go – “thinking” again!

I cut the butter and cream cheese up in cubes and used my pastry blender to “process” the dough. This seemed to work just fine for me! After the dough is mixed you have a couple of hours to do something else as it has to sit in the fridge for up to 2 hours or overnight. Mine sat in there 2 hours. 🙂

I took the dough out, got my jam warmed up, mixed up my cinnamon and sugar, then went for the mini chocolate chips. I don’t know where they went. I could have sworn I had some. I’ll probably find them in a “hiding” place later! Since I couldn’t find the mini’s I went with my faithful Giradelli 60% cocoa chips. I mixed them with the chopped walnuts and raisins (no currants). Can you tell I’m not one of those “mis en place” people? I get it out, use it, then put it away. For one thing, my kitchen isn’t huge and I don’t have that much counter space. Anyway..

I rolled my dough out.

Spread the jam, sprinkled the chocolate, walnut, and raisins, then proceeded to cut and roll. After I had the one round done it hit me. I didn’t sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on! Augh. I made sure to do it to the second round.

I brushed the egg wash on, sprinkled the sugar and put the pastries in the oven to bake.

Dorie suggested this was a great recipe to use the silicone mats for. I had just received one as a gift so I tried it out and on the other cookie sheet I used parchment paper. Both worked just fine!

Check out the other TWD Bakers sites to see their results!

1. HoneyB November 4, 2008 at 1:44 pm - Reply

If you have been having trouble posting comments, please bear with me. I have had a few friends let me know they have been unable to post and I am trying to fix it. Hopefully it will be fixed today! Thanks!

2. Carrie November 4, 2008 at 1:46 pm - Reply

Yum – looks great!! They look fun to make.

3. Flourchild November 4, 2008 at 1:48 pm - Reply

Im glad you liked them. I thought they turned out great and I really loved the dough. I, like you, would not have made this recipe on my own. That is the greatest thing about TWD it helps us to branch out and try new things. I love the way your sugar sparkles on your rugelach!

4. Anonymous November 4, 2008 at 1:48 pm - Reply

Everything looks great.

5. Jamie November 4, 2008 at 2:05 pm - Reply

Yours look divine! I wish I had added more chocolate!

6. Jules Someone November 4, 2008 at 2:05 pm - Reply

These look delicious! I forgot the cinnamon/sugar on one batch of mine as well. Oooops.

7. Engineer Baker November 4, 2008 at 2:09 pm - Reply

My mini-prep was perfect for a half recipe, although I don’t normally haul it out for things like this 🙂 Yours look wonderful, so nice and flaky.

8. Meg November 4, 2008 at 2:32 pm - Reply

These look fabulous! They would go great with my coffee right now. Wish I had some!

9. Sabrina November 4, 2008 at 3:30 pm - Reply

Yum! They look great!

Thanks for visiting my blog! 🙂

10. Cathy November 4, 2008 at 3:47 pm - Reply

You know, I am always misplacing my chips and nuts, too! Your dough could not have looked any better even if you made it with a food processor — it looks perfect! And your finished product is gorgeous — so golden and flaky! I’m with you — I NEVER would have picked this out of the cookbook on my own, but we just loved it. It’s definitely going on the Christmas cookie list.

11. Cristine November 4, 2008 at 3:54 pm - Reply

Oh yay! It’s fixed! 🙂

Great looking rugelach! Your pictures make me want to make more NOW!

12. Jenny November 4, 2008 at 4:13 pm - Reply

Those look fantastic Shelby! I love the sugar crystals on top. Great job!

13. Amy November 4, 2008 at 4:38 pm - Reply

Yours really look great! I love that last picture!!

-Amy

14. Jess November 4, 2008 at 4:53 pm - Reply

Your rugelach look great!

15. CookiePie November 4, 2008 at 5:26 pm - Reply

Beautiful rugelach!!

16. Teanna November 4, 2008 at 5:59 pm - Reply

WHAT?!!? Those are so perfect! How did you DO that?!?!

And who needs a food processor! I think they’re that much more special when made with sweat and tears and sore arms! haha!

17. kim November 4, 2008 at 6:19 pm - Reply

wow!! they look gorgeous! 🙂 great job, and glad you enjoyed the result!

18. Piggy November 4, 2008 at 7:22 pm - Reply

I do not own a FP too and I made mine with a stand mixer, it worked as well. So glad that you like the recipe, thanks for baking with me this week!

19. TeaLady November 4, 2008 at 7:55 pm - Reply

They are beautiful and perfectly golden. They were good, weren’t they?

20. Megan November 4, 2008 at 8:52 pm - Reply

What a hoot – “thinking” again! I made mine by hand as well, since I only made a half batch.

They look great!

21. Fit Chick November 4, 2008 at 9:06 pm - Reply

Your final picture looks like it could be in Dorie’s book! Nice shot and they look delicious.

22. peggy November 4, 2008 at 4:25 pm - Reply

Your rugelach look wonderful. And treat yourself to a food processor. You will use it a lot and love it!! I highly recommend it.

23. Tammie November 4, 2008 at 10:18 pm - Reply

Wow, yours looks so golden and delicious! Love it!

24. TeaLady November 4, 2008 at 10:34 pm - Reply

These look yummy. Ncie and golden brown.

25. SUGAR BETTY November 4, 2008 at 11:00 pm - Reply

Oooh, I like the exterior and the interior of your lovely rugelachs! Gimme! Gimme!

26. pinkstripes November 4, 2008 at 7:31 pm - Reply

Your rugelach look perfectly golden. Yum!

27. Kevin November 5, 2008 at 12:40 am - Reply

Those look light and flaky and good!

28. Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats November 5, 2008 at 12:58 am - Reply

They look great! Before the food processor what did people do I wonder? Used manual tools, which worked very well.

29. Beth November 5, 2008 at 1:32 am - Reply

I’m a fellow TWD baker, and I was thinking that it would be nice if we all could chip in and get Laurie some small token/gift for all the work she does. Would you be willing to contribute? If I can get enough people, it would only be about $1 per person. No pressure 🙂 Let me know! bethberg12@yahoo.com

30. Anne November 5, 2008 at 1:54 am - Reply

Those look wonderful piled up! Great job!

31. Natashya November 5, 2008 at 4:53 am - Reply

They look perfect! It was my first time with these too, glad we tried them.

32. Pam November 5, 2008 at 6:46 am - Reply

Yum! These look so good! I could eat quite a few of these right now. Great recipe.

33. Darius T. Williams November 5, 2008 at 4:50 am - Reply

Great photo! A great job here…I’m going to join u guys one of these days…i just need a bit more practice!

-DTW

34. shellyfish November 5, 2008 at 1:29 pm - Reply

I love Rugelah! I haven’t had it with chocolate, though…I have a vegan recipe, I need to try it (adding some dark chocolate of course!).

35. Megan November 5, 2008 at 1:52 pm - Reply

These look so good popping up everywhere. Usually, this would be a recipe I would pass by, but looking at everyones, I’ll be trying it. Great photography! 🙂

36. Linda November 5, 2008 at 2:42 pm - Reply

Shelby, I bought a KitchenAid (red of course) food processor & it has paid for itself just in using it for scones!

37. Di November 5, 2008 at 3:15 pm - Reply

Your rugelach look perfect! Your filling sounds delicious.

38. mimi November 6, 2008 at 12:51 am - Reply

that last photo looks terrific – that pile of rugelach is just waiting to be devoured!

39. Marthe November 6, 2008 at 1:11 am - Reply

Your rugelach look delicious!! Another first time for me: never made these or tasted these before…. Absolutely loved them!!

P.S. Still no chocolates???