White Chocolate Cranberry Filled Soft Cookies is my Nanny’s Date Filled Cookie Recipe revised with white chocolate and cranberries to create a flavor profile that is one that Grumpy likes. A tender soft cookie with that delicious filling then topped with a pink frosting makes this a festive cookie for the holidays!
Filled Soft Cookies

Not too long ago I received an email from Sam of Oh! Nuts. He wanted to send me some of their product to try out. I promptly responded in just a few days later I had had this box with a generous sample of their products. I received a full pound each of Jumbo Raw Georgia Pecans, California Medjool Dates, and Dried Cranberries. I started thinking about what recipes I could use these in, or better yet, what could I create on my own with these ingredients. Today I am going to share with you what I did come up with for the Dried Cranberries. The dates and pecans can wait their turn. 😉

Filled Soft Cookies

It’s the time of year when I start to think about my Nanny Mae’s filled cookies. It seems I remember Christmas as the time of year I always loved to eat them. She would fill her cookies with a date or raisin filling (both of which I totally love!).

Filled Soft Cookies

I made them last year and used a mixture of raisins and dates. That is when I found out Grumpy didn’t care for date or raisin filled cookies. However, I know that Grumpy loves white chocolate and dried cranberries (his ultimate trail mix from Wal-mart is one that includes both!). So, I thought why not make a filling that uses craisins, almond extract, coconut, and white chocolate? Surely he will be crazy about these, right?

White Chocolate Cranberry Filled Soft Cookies
  • 3 eggs
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 6-1/2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup sour milk (you can sour the milk by mixing a tablespoon of lemon juice with milk)
  • For the Filling:
  • 1-1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1-1/2 cup craisins
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 3/4 cup coconut
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips
  • 4 teaspoons butter
Instructions
  1. Mix the first 5 ingredients together. Set aside. Stir dry ingredients together in separate bowl. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients alternately with mil. Chill dough. Meanwhile, make the filling:
  2. Mix applesauce, craisins, brown sugar, water in medium sized saucepan and cook until thickened. Remove from heat and add butter, coconut and almond extract. Cool.
  3. When cool, stir in white chocolate chips.
  4. Assemble cookies: Roll cookie dough, cut into circles. Place circles on cookie sheet. Place 1 tablespoon of filling on top of cookie. Cover with another cut cookie and press edges with fingers (or fork). Bake at 350 until slightly brown (8 – 10 minutes).

Pin it – White Chocolate Cranberry Filled Soft Cookies

Filled Soft Cookies

1. Cristine November 16, 2008 at 11:41 am - Reply

Honey, I LOVE YOU!!!! My absolute favorite thing to pair with craisins is white chocolate! I will have to make these cookies ASAP!!! They look so delicious!

(BTW, how are the Oh Nuts craisins? Are they any better/different than Ocean Spray? Just wondering if it is worth ordering!)

2. CookiePie November 16, 2008 at 12:35 pm - Reply

I love these! Recipes from family are the best. White chocolate and cranberry are so delicious together, and that pink icing is so sweet!!

3. Cristine November 16, 2008 at 12:51 pm - Reply

Okay, now I’m laughing at myself! The Oh Nuts website says they are Ocean Spray craisins. I’m a little out of it today!

4. recipes2share November 16, 2008 at 1:24 pm - Reply

These look great & lucky you having such a fabulous goodie box!

5. Meg November 16, 2008 at 1:30 pm - Reply

Love the icing and the new filling is fabulous!

6. Sabrina November 16, 2008 at 1:57 pm - Reply

Those are way too cute! Love the pink frosting! YUM YUM YUM!

7. Stephanie November 16, 2008 at 2:30 pm - Reply

Those look unique and very delicious! I love cranberries and white chocolate too.

8. Reeni November 16, 2008 at 3:12 pm - Reply

Oh!Nuts Rock! So do these cookies, they look really delicious! Love the flavors!

9. noble pig November 16, 2008 at 3:37 pm - Reply

OMG these look amazing. What a treat on the inside these would be….this is a winner.

10. Carrie November 16, 2008 at 5:47 pm - Reply

What beautiful cookies!

11. Marthe November 16, 2008 at 6:13 pm - Reply

These look absolutely delicious!!
    Yum!! Great recipe!

12. Bellini Valli November 16, 2008 at 7:44 pm - Reply

Lucky you HoneyB. I’ll look forward to the rest of your creations:D

13. Foong November 16, 2008 at 7:53 pm - Reply

YUMMY. Now I am officially VERY hungry! Will need to go raid the kitchen in a while…

14. shellyfish November 16, 2008 at 8:25 pm - Reply

You are so sweet to switch up your traditional fillings!
    These look delicious – I love the holiday season and all the cookies it brings!

15. emily November 16, 2008 at 8:48 pm - Reply

Now I am kicking myself for not picking up something sweet at the store! These look incredible.

Emily

16. creative one November 16, 2008 at 9:05 pm - Reply

I really love different kinds of cookies and that sure looks like a delicious one!

17. Amy J. November 16, 2008 at 9:46 pm - Reply

Wow, HoneyB! I’ve never seen filled cookies like this, I don’t think. They look divine! Will have to try them!

18. Jenny November 16, 2008 at 10:13 pm - Reply

Those look so pretty! I’ve got to try these soon! Love the filling!

19. Clumbsy Cookie November 17, 2008 at 12:39 am - Reply

So so pretty in pink! That’s an amzing filling!

20. Vera November 17, 2008 at 2:48 am - Reply

The cookies look delicious! And the filling sounds fantastic!

21. Megan November 17, 2008 at 4:47 am - Reply

YUM! filled cookies are the best! these sound great-and look so pretty too 🙂

22. Pam November 17, 2008 at 4:40 pm - Reply

These looks so cute and delicious. If Grumpy didn’t like them you can send them my way – I’ll gobble them up.

23. Cami @ Creating Myself November 17, 2008 at 4:53 pm - Reply

I’m thinking these might be great on my dessert bar for Thanksgiving. They look fabulous!

24. Gera November 17, 2008 at 7:17 pm - Reply

Hi HoneyB,

What so cute and amazing filling! Good and tasty cookies, can I’ve a dozen?

25. Mari at Once Upon a Plate November 18, 2008 at 1:29 pm - Reply

Oh MY! These look FABULOUS!!! I would be happy with ANY version. Terrific photos,too. I wish I could sample a nibble through the screen.

Thank you for sharing the recipe Honey B! 🙂

26. Sophie November 18, 2008 at 2:06 pm - Reply

Such a sweet and tasty idea, the pink frosting on top is the perfect touch. I bet those ingredients tasted perfect with the tart cranberries :).

27. Bobby November 19, 2008 at 1:28 am - Reply

Wow, so many good cookies!!! These ones might be even better than the last, the filling looks delcious! Great pictures.

28. Elle November 20, 2008 at 3:41 am - Reply

My boyfriends mother used to make these…and I love them, but filling them with crasins and white chocolate is pure genius…and they must be even better than the old fashioned ones.

29. Tangled Noodle November 12, 2011 at 2:21 pm - Reply

These look marvelous! Now that the holiday season is gearing up, I've got cookies on the brain. These would make perfect homemade gifts! 😎

30. Curt November 12, 2011 at 4:58 pm - Reply

Oh boy, I'm seeing lots of cranberry and chocolate combinations lately.

This one looks really good. I will be trying this one. I'll pin it to remember it!

I love cranberry and chocolate together!

31. Angela November 12, 2011 at 5:08 pm - Reply

Holy cats, those look amazing. I must. make. these!

32. Lana @ Never Enough Thyme November 12, 2011 at 9:09 pm - Reply

What gorgeous cookies, Shelby! I've never seen quite like these and I can't wait to give the recipe a try for myself.

33. Anonymous September 24, 2012 at 3:37 pm - Reply

One little search attempt and BAM! Just what I wanted to find! Must print immediately!!! Thanks! (Chris in Indiana)

34. Anonymous December 15, 2012 at 3:25 pm - Reply

So excited to make these today! Is there a recipe for the frosting?

• honeyb December 15, 2012 at 5:36 pm - Reply

I usually just melt about a tablespoon of butter, mix into it about a cup of powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and some milk. Add another cup of sugar and milk as needed to get the frosting to the spreading consistency you want. I tinted mine a little pink. Hope the recipe turns out well for you!

35. Karen September 25, 2019 at 12:31 pm - Reply

Just found your recipe for the white chocolate cranberry filled cookies, for the filling it calls for almond extract, how much do not see this in the recipient. Thanks

• Shelby Law Ruttan September 25, 2019 at 8:34 pm - Reply

Hi Karen, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I would use 1/2 tsp almond extract. I will update my recipe. I hope you enjoy it!

36. Miriah October 22, 2019 at 11:00 am - Reply