Yes, I’m talking about my Rudy Rut-ton!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Oh, I’m sure that Grumpy loves me too, but sometimes I think my cake does have something to do with it! he he. I look kinda dorky in that pic, but I really wanted you to see how Rudy just can’t be without his momma! I was working at the table last night when he decided that he had to be in my lap – and apparently that wasn’t comfortable for him because he decided to climb up my left arm and around my neck and landed where you see him above….and promptly fell alseep. He sticks to me like glue when I am home and if I am not sitting down, he’s following me around the house. When I’m cooking, he stretches his little paws up my leg like he wants to come up to me and watch. He’s so goofy. I love him too. On to my cake…

I wouldn’t eat spice cake of any kind when I was a little girl. I wanted my chocolate mayonnaise cake and that was that. I didn’t want anything BUT chocolate mayonnaise. When my Nanny would ask me what kind of cake I would like her to make me for my birthday, it was always chocolate mayonnaise, please. I’m go glad that as an adult that my horizons have been broadened and I will eat try other types of cake not just chocolate mayonnaise cake!

One thing I finally tried a few years ago was browned butter. The first time I ever had it I used Cooking Light’s Roasted Asparagus with Browned Butter Sauce. I fell in love. Since then, when I see something that calls for browned butter, I know it has to be delicious. Therefore, I just knew this cake was going to be awesome. Not only did I love the flavor, but it was super moist!

I’m going to test one of my readers here. I warned our package delivery man that I might mention him in my blog. He told me today he checks it out to see what I made (and I think so he can crab at me that he didn’t get any!). I said to him, “so you read about my boring life to eh?” His response? “Oh, I didn’t know I was supposed to read, I just look at the pictures!” ha ha. Well, because Scott comes in and gripes about not getting any of the food I bring into the office, I am taking in a piece especially for him tomorrow. Then he can quit his griping! Hope you enjoy it Scott!

Butter Rum-Glazed Applesauce Cake
Betty Crocker’s Fall Baking Magazine Volume 16, Number 7

Cake:
1/3 cup butter **
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup applesauce (I used my homemade applesauce!)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

Glaze:
2 Tablespoons butter **
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon rum flavor
3-4 teaspoons half and half or milk

**it is important to use butter in this recipe as it is the browned butter that gives this cake the wonderful flavor! Please don’t substitute margarine…..it won’t be the same!

Heat oven to 350. Spray 8-inch square pan with cooking spray.

In 1-1/2 quart saucepan, melt 1/3 cup butter over medium heat. Cook 2 to 2-1/2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until butter just begins to brown. Immediately remove from heat. Stir in granulated sugar, applesauce and vanilla.

In large bowl, mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir in applesauce mixture. Pour into pan.

Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

For the glaze: In 1-1/2 quart saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat; cook about 3 minutes or until butter just begins to brown. Immediately removed from heat. Stir in remaining glaze ingredients until smooth and spreadable. Pour over warm cake. Cool 30 minutes. Serve warm.

This makes 9 servings. 300 calories per serving, 10 fat grams, 25 mg cholesterol, 340 mg sodium, 51 carbohydrates, 1 gram fiber, and 2 grams protien.

1. Cristine November 6, 2008 at 6:04 am - Reply

I love that picture! Your cat is too cute and I don’t think you look like a dork – I think you look beautiful!

The cake looks so yummy! I will have to add it to my files… too many desserts, so little time! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. noble pig November 6, 2008 at 6:30 am - Reply

The cat is hilarious!

But this cake, now this is serious business…yum.

3. shellyfish November 6, 2008 at 6:38 am - Reply

That it the cutest picture ever!!

4. Barbara Bakes November 6, 2008 at 9:58 am - Reply

I’ve never had a cat ๐Ÿ™ My husband’s not a cat person. The cake looks delicious!

5. Peabody November 6, 2008 at 11:10 am - Reply

I could love you for that cake. ๐Ÿ˜‰

6. Meg November 6, 2008 at 11:20 am - Reply

Rudy is adorable. Fabulous cake. Love the flavor combinations!

7. Vickie LeBlanc November 6, 2008 at 12:39 pm - Reply

I am going to try this cake. I love spice cakes and this one looks so moist.

Love the Rudy picture.

8. Jessie November 6, 2008 at 1:28 pm - Reply

Oh yum. That cake looks great and so very, very moist. And LOVE kitty! So silly.

+Jessie
    a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse

9. Carrie November 6, 2008 at 1:44 pm - Reply

What a precious kitty!!! It’s so sweet that he loves you so.

I usually just make chocolate cake…but I really should be more adventurous.

10. Reeni November 6, 2008 at 2:31 pm - Reply

Your cat is a sweetie! The spice cake looks so moist and delicious. I am in love with anything that has to do with brown butter too.

11. creative one November 6, 2008 at 3:16 pm - Reply

Cute picture of you and Rudy! The cake looks yummy.

12. Marthe November 6, 2008 at 3:23 pm - Reply

That cake looks delicious! Love your cat!! He’s so cute asleep like that! My cat tends to sit on my lap a lot more in the winter than she does in the summer… So strange!

13. Marilyn November 6, 2008 at 5:09 pm - Reply

Do I have to wait ’til after lunch? Because I’d like one-two pieces right about now. Delicious post!

14. Pam November 6, 2008 at 6:05 pm - Reply

Now that’s a piece of cake. The glaze sounds AMAZING! I am sure Scott will love it.

15. CookiePie November 6, 2008 at 7:12 pm - Reply

WOW – that sounds like a truly scrumptious cake, and so perfect for fall!

16. Tink November 6, 2008 at 8:02 pm - Reply

Delicious-looking cake!! Can’t wait to try it out. And I LOVE my cat too! She greets me at the door every day I arrive home and sleeps at the foot of my bed and nibbles on my hair that gives me a great head massage! Gotta love it.

17. Michele November 6, 2008 at 8:54 pm - Reply

My Indiana Jones (yes that is my cat’s name!) is the same way. He is glued to my hip 24 hours a day. He lays on my desk, my lap, my keyboard and always manages to be in my way…but he’s my baby so I put up with it.
    Butter rum applesauce cake sounds divine!

18. averagebetty November 6, 2008 at 5:06 pm - Reply

The cake looks delicious and perfect for the season! Love your silly kitty ๐Ÿ™‚

19. Foong November 7, 2008 at 1:53 am - Reply

Awww…Rudy is so cute!

20. Jacque November 7, 2008 at 3:37 am - Reply

Oh my, does that ever sound delish! It looks so nice and rich too.

Cute cat! He looks like my old beloved cat.

21. Joie de vivre November 7, 2008 at 3:54 am - Reply

Yummy! That pic of you and your cat is so funny. How did you keep working?

22. Darius T. Williams November 6, 2008 at 11:48 pm - Reply

Looks good – and looks soooo moist!

-DTW

23. Robin Sue November 7, 2008 at 3:34 pm - Reply

I have been going brown butter crazy over at my blog too. It is the best isn’t it? I had to look twice at the kitty. At first I thought it was a pretty scarf. Ok Ok I’ll get glasses!

24. Megan November 7, 2008 at 4:08 pm - Reply

Well, Lucky Scott!
    Kitty is too cute ๐Ÿ™‚

25. nicole November 7, 2008 at 5:29 pm - Reply

Geez that cake looks so moist and yummy. Can I have a slice too please? ๐Ÿ™‚

26. Ingrid November 7, 2008 at 6:34 pm - Reply

Butter makes everything better but even more so with browned butter, YUM! You cake looks scrumpdillyumptious! (did I spell it right?) LOL!
    ~ingrid

27. Cami @ Creating Myself November 7, 2008 at 11:10 pm - Reply

You don’t look dorky…you look young! And good-looking! *said w/ just a touch of envy* ;o)
    I have to try this cake….I love anything w/ brown butter too. That asparagus recipe is a favorite…everybody loves it! And how cute is your kitten?

Thanks for putting my blog on stumbleupon, Shelby…you’re so sweet!

28. Lisa November 8, 2008 at 12:32 am - Reply

Funny kitty! Your cake looks good. I used to love chocolate mayonaise cake when I was a kid also.

29. Elra November 8, 2008 at 11:59 pm - Reply

Oh Rudy is so adorable, I am sure he loves you so much!
    I never heard of Mayonnaise cake before, I thought you were joking, then I check the link…wow now I believe you. I just couldn’t imagine how its taste. I take your word for it!
    Anyway, it looks really good though, so does the “Butter Rum-Glazed Applesauce Cake”. Cheers, Elra

30. Natashya November 9, 2008 at 12:31 am - Reply

My pug likes to stand on me. I think she is part mountain goat. She isn’t so small and light as your kitty though, nor as graceful, I imagine.
    Love your applesauce cake. I am an apple girl. ๐Ÿ™‚

31. Once Upon a Plate November 9, 2008 at 3:35 am - Reply

Oh my gosh! That is such a priceless photo of you and kitty!! I love it.

And the cake! I’m going to put that on my list to make. It looks fabulous.

I love your blog. xo

32. RecipeGirl November 9, 2008 at 4:07 pm - Reply

Besides the fact that the cake looks amazing, that cat is absolutely darling. What I wouldn’t give to have a sweet little kitty climbing all over me while I’m blogging away (hubby is allergic) ๐Ÿ™

33. Matt November 17, 2008 at 1:25 am - Reply

The cake looks delicious. I would like it smothered in the butter-rum frosting…

Could Rudy be any cuter?

34. mrskimmyl January 12, 2009 at 3:55 am - Reply

This recipe needs to come with a warning label at the top:

*WARNING*
    Reading this recipe may induce drooling. Please take standard precautions.

This sounds SO yummy!