Are you looking for a light, super easy, delicious roll? Well, look no further. The November 2008 issue of Cooking Light has just such a roll. What is Thanksgiving without a dinner roll? What is leftovers without the dinner roll to put some turkey between for a roll sandwich? How about slicing your roll and toasting it then putting some turkey between with a little salt and pepper? That is how I enjoy my turkey sandwiches after Thanksgiving day is over.

Bakery Dinner Roll
Cooking Light November 2008
Makes 1 dozen rolls

2 Tablespoons sugar
1 package active dry yeast (about 2-1/2 teaspoons)
2/3 cup warm water (100 – 110 degrees)
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
1-3/4 all purpose flour, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
cooking spray
1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten (I suggest you omit this, I think my first batch looked bad because of this besides, you don’t need it)

Dissolve sugar and yeast in 2/3 cup warm water in small bowl; let stand 3 minutes. Stir in butter.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 1-1/2 cups flour and salt in large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add yeast mixture to flour mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smoth and elastic (about 4 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat. Cover and let rise in warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, 1 hour or til doubled in size. Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes.

Divide dough into 12 equal portions, shaping each into a ball. Place 1 dough ball in each of 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 20 minutes or until doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Gently brush with egg yolk (if you don’t want ugly, don’t do this!) If you must brush, lightly brush with some skim milk. I suggest you leave well enough alone.

Bake at 400 for 13 minutes or until browned (13 minutes worked for me)

Calories: 98, Fat 3.2, Fiber, 0.6 grams

1. Cristine November 29, 2008 at 11:58 am - Reply

YUM! I love rolls and I love using them with my turkey leftovers!

2. Christy November 29, 2008 at 1:54 pm - Reply

These look great and I’ve been looking for a simple roll recipe. Thanks for the post!! I may have to make these today to make turkey sandwiches. 🙂

3. Bellini Valli November 29, 2008 at 2:18 pm - Reply

These trigger so many memories of all the delicious rolls my dad used to bake. I can still smell the warmth they left all over our home:D By the way, how is your MIL?

4. Jo November 29, 2008 at 2:46 pm - Reply

Ohhh these look excellent Honey B! Yummy!

5. Megan November 29, 2008 at 3:08 pm - Reply

I’ve been on a dinner roll roll. Ha, that was funny. Anyway, my last batch was terrible and ended up in the garbage. 🙁 I’ll try your recipe.
    BTW- The potatos were a big, I mean really big hit at our Thanksgiving table! 🙂

6. Di November 29, 2008 at 4:09 pm - Reply

Those look delicious! You can never have too many good roll recipes. =) The one I’ve been making lately is the Rustic Rolls from the most recent Cooks Illustrated. I’ve made them three times already, and still haven’t managed to get them up on my blog.

7. Jude November 29, 2008 at 5:46 pm - Reply

Nice recipe! Always great to have freshly baked dinner rolls at the dining table.

8. Clumbsy Cookie November 29, 2008 at 9:29 pm - Reply

There are very few things better than homemade rolls! And yours look wonderful!

9. Laura November 30, 2008 at 2:51 am - Reply

These look great. Rolls are the most important part of Thanksiving to me (perhaps because I don’t like turkey). 🙂

10. Shari@Whisk: a food blog November 30, 2008 at 3:26 am - Reply

I love homemade rolls!

11. hanne November 30, 2008 at 5:11 am - Reply

These look great, and you’re right– there’s something wonderful about turkey on a roll in the days after Thanksgiving.

12. noble pig November 30, 2008 at 7:00 am - Reply

These are beautiful, I love how puffy they look…just gorgeous. And some cranberry in the sandwich too.

13. Mari at Once Upon a Plate November 30, 2008 at 2:48 pm - Reply

Perfection!

I wish I could have one right now.

Great job Honey! ~m.

14. Medena November 30, 2008 at 11:01 pm - Reply

I can never have enough of these recipes. Great rolls!

15. Foong December 1, 2008 at 8:00 am - Reply

I really must learn to make rolls and bread…

16. creative one December 1, 2008 at 10:25 pm - Reply

The dinner rolls look awesome! This is another recipe I will be trying.

17. Pam December 1, 2008 at 10:30 pm - Reply

I just made my first batch of rolls (my mom’s recipe). Your recipe looks wonderful and the rolls turned out perfectly.

18. Robin Sue December 2, 2008 at 1:59 am - Reply

I had stopped taking Cooking Light as I had too many recipes but now I am rethinking this as you have highlighted some great recipes from them. It looks like you had a lovely Thanksgiving and I still am keeping your MIL I my thoughts. Hope all is well.

19. Katy December 2, 2008 at 6:00 pm - Reply

i need a recipe just like this — those rolls look amazing!

20. Bobby December 2, 2008 at 8:38 pm - Reply

these dinner rolls look amazing. I have never tried to make them myself but I wouldn’t mind trying it sometime.