Caramel-Peanut-Topped Brownie CakeWhen I was younger, one of my favorite candy bars would be a snickers. I would first eat the chocolate, then eat the nougat, and finally, finish with the caramel and peanut part. Actually, I still eat a candy bar the same way today. Grumpy laughs at me. He says he has never seen anyone eat a candy bar like I do! I guess I just like to savor the different components of the candy bar rather than bite into it all at once! I actually ate my portion of this week’s treat in pretty much the same way….in sections!

This week for Tuesdays with Dorie, Tammy of Wee Treats by Tammy chose Caramel-Peanut-Topped Brownie Cake on pages 264 and 265. I had just made another caramel smothered cake last week but mom and dad were coming over to visit and I decided to go ahead and make the TWD choice anyway. What wasn’t eaten here went to work. Yeah, I’m letting all the students and professors clean up my leftovers. They don’t complain though. Not if I am bringing it in! They actually complain if I don’t bring it in!

Caramel-Peanut-Topped Brownie Cake
I was on a time crunch so I did not make the homemade caramel sauce for this. Instead I melted caramels with some heavy cream and stirred the peanuts in then spread on top like I did for the salted caramel walnut topped apple cake! If I had more time, I probably would have gone with Dorie’s homemade caramel sauce.
My verdict? The cake part was really good. I bought kettle cooked peanuts (Planters) and I think they were almost too crunchy. If I were to make it again then the next time I would use regular peanuts. I also would take the time to make Dorie’s caramel sauce instead of melting the caramels. However, that all said….I still didn’t have to throw any away! Mom and Dad both liked it. Grumpy offered his opinion – he didn’t like it at all. I would say because the peanuts were too crunchy for him. He doesn’t like crunchy food. Chris had a piece and I don’t even remember if he said anything about it. Must be it didn’t blow him away either. However, I took the rest to work the next day and nobody complained. Will I make it aain? Maybe if someone requested it. Probably not otherwise.
To see how the other TWD participants fared with their brownie cakes, check out our blogroll!
Oh! and a reminder….don’t forget to come back on Thursday, October 9, 2008 to enter the chance to win a box of delicious St. Lawrence Chocolates!

1. Engineer Baker October 7, 2008 at 5:32 am - Reply

I love the caramel and peanuts dripping down the side. My peanuts weren’t crunchy at all, they were actually softer after sitting in the caramel for a while I think. I’m glad your parents liked it!

2. Pam October 7, 2008 at 5:49 am - Reply

I looks amazing to me! I love caramel and peanuts… A delicious combination of flavors.

3. Barbara Bakes October 7, 2008 at 5:54 am - Reply

Well the pictures certainly look ooey goey delicious!

4. CB October 7, 2008 at 6:31 am - Reply

I want that chocolate. Gimme chocolate. So sorry. I got sidetracked there. (Seriously. I want the purdy chocolate.) Definitely give Dorie’s caramel a try next time. I’ve made caramel from caramel candies before and its good but Dorie’s caramel was awesome!
    Clara @ iheartfood4thought

5. Cristine October 7, 2008 at 10:28 am - Reply

Looks yummy!

6. Rigby October 7, 2008 at 11:57 am - Reply

Your cake looks wonderful! I like the idea of melting the caramels…I never thought about doing that 🙂

7. Pamela October 7, 2008 at 12:07 pm - Reply

The photo looks fabulous and very, very good. I will give Dorie’s caramel another try, but I also like your fallback method. I love melted caramel! I could eat the whole pot!

8. Prudy October 7, 2008 at 12:21 pm - Reply

My peanuts weren’t overly crunch. This reminded me so much of a Snicker’s bar. Especially after a few hours when the caramel had really set.

9. Flourchild October 7, 2008 at 1:08 pm - Reply

I love your pictures. This dessert does remind me of a snickers bar. Im glad your parent’s enjoyed it!

10. Melissa October 7, 2008 at 1:18 pm - Reply

Your caramel sauce looks perfect. I’m a big fan of Snickers too. Yum!

11. Jamie October 7, 2008 at 1:21 pm - Reply

Your caramel looks great, I love making caramel that way! Chocolate looks great too!

12. Jules Someone October 7, 2008 at 1:27 pm - Reply

This looks just lovely! Nice work.

13. Carrie October 7, 2008 at 1:47 pm - Reply

Those photos are awesome!

14. Jessie October 7, 2008 at 2:02 pm - Reply

Um, that sauce looks AMAZING. Wow.

+Jessie
    a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse

15. Jo October 7, 2008 at 2:22 pm - Reply

Oh my do those look sinful 🙂 Delicious!

by the way… please come “claim” your award on my blog when you have a moment!

16. Di October 7, 2008 at 2:38 pm - Reply

Your cake looks wonderful–great pictures! Oddly enough, even though I don’t like peanuts all that much, I do like Snickers. But I wasn’t sure I’d like a whole cake of caramely peanuts.

17. Jenny October 7, 2008 at 3:36 pm - Reply

Oh my Shelby this is a vision of beauty. Nice job!

18. Andrea October 7, 2008 at 3:52 pm - Reply

When I saw your cake photo before I read that you didn’t make Dorie’s caramel I was going to ask what you did differently with it because it looks so perfect! Now I know, your melted caramels look so delicious! Those St. Lawrence chocolates look amazing too 🙂

19. Gretchen Noelle October 7, 2008 at 4:10 pm - Reply

This made me think of a Snickers bar as well!!! I was wondering why the caramel looked creamier on yours – melted caramels…smart!!!

20. Madam Chow October 7, 2008 at 5:26 pm - Reply

I’ve used kettle cooked peanuts in other things, and I agree – they’re too crunchy for me! Glad that your parents liked it, though!

21. Cathy October 7, 2008 at 5:55 pm - Reply

This looks wonderful! Lucky, lucky students and professors! If I ever make this again, I am definitely making caramel your way — Dorie’s way did not work out so well for me. I think I shared your reaction to the cake in general — it was good, but not “blow me over” good.

22. Lisa October 7, 2008 at 6:24 pm - Reply

That is one decadent looking cake.

23. Peggy October 7, 2008 at 7:04 pm - Reply

great idea for the melted caramels! Glad we got this blog thing figured out!! Thanks for your help.

24. Jacque October 7, 2008 at 9:07 pm - Reply

I’ll bet the improvised caramel-peanut creation was pretty good. Your cake looks delish!

25. dharmagirl October 7, 2008 at 9:41 pm - Reply

a gorgeous cake! it sounds like we have the same strategy of sharing our gooey goodies on campus:)

26. Carol Peterman October 7, 2008 at 11:47 pm - Reply

Taking all these baked goods into the office is good job security! Interesting about the kettle peanuts.

27. Isa October 8, 2008 at 12:14 am - Reply

Haha… that’s a weird way too eat your snickers indeed, but the whole point is to enjoy it and if you like each component separately, go for it!
    Your cake looks delicious. I’m glad you liked it.

28. The Food Librarian October 8, 2008 at 1:04 am - Reply

Love those photos. My co-workers are the same way – and I work in a library so sometimes I find new cookbooks (with pages tagged) left on my desk! 🙂

29. Prudy October 8, 2008 at 2:11 am - Reply

Glad your parents liked it-it looks gorgeous.

30. honeyb October 8, 2008 at 2:51 am - Reply

Your cake looks amazing to me! I have had your blogged tagged, along with probably hundred’s of others and have a hard time keeping up with all of them, but just spent some time browsing through yours as I haven’t for a good month or so (sorry), but you’ve sure got a lot of yummy looking stuff on here. I’m going to move it up on my list! 😉
    I especially LOVE the NY Times JT chocolate chip cookies and have made them a ton of time. They are my favorite ccc. I can’t even think about them, or I’ll get a hankerin’ to make them again. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

31. Tammy October 8, 2008 at 3:19 am - Reply

I am so pleased you liked this cake.

32. Megan October 8, 2008 at 5:44 am - Reply

If I went off the picture alone, I’d say this cake was amazing. Your pictures are great. The cake looks carmelicious! 🙂

33. noble pig October 8, 2008 at 7:36 am - Reply

Oh that’s beautiful…hold me.

34. Marthe October 8, 2008 at 10:26 am - Reply

Your cake looks perfect, even with the different caramel!!

35. Laura October 8, 2008 at 2:21 pm - Reply

Looks wonderful – I think your caramel sauce sounds like a great time saver (which I’ll keep filed away for when the time comes for a quick caramel sauce – thanks)!

36. creative one October 8, 2008 at 3:21 pm - Reply

The cake looks delicious.

37. Esi October 8, 2008 at 9:17 pm - Reply

I so want to try this sometime. The pictures are awesome!

38. Kevin October 10, 2008 at 2:31 am - Reply

I am such a sucker for gooey dripping caramel. It looks great!

39. Shari@Whisk: a food blog October 11, 2008 at 3:31 pm - Reply

Melted caramels sound like a great substitution!