This is the time of year that I totally have a hard time controlling my magazine purchase. From Halloween til Christmas I am tempted over and over again to buy each and every magazine with all the seasonal goodies in them. Yes. I fell into temptation again. In the last week I have bought 4 cooking magazines PLUS my friend Amanda brought over a Christmas cookbook this last weekend. I am totally addicted.

I went through all my magazines on Sunday morning and I marked each one I wanted to make. I’ll be busy for a while and will be lucky to have made it all before Christmas. Especially since I also have a few bookmarked recipes from some blogs I want to make also!

One of the recipes caught my eye because of the title. The Almond Tres Leche Muffins. I recently made the Tres Leche cake with Dulce de Leche so the muffin intrigued me. They disappeared pretty fast – meaning people liked them! They were definitely moist and most definitely not low calorie so I was a good girl and left them alone.

Almond-Tres Leches Muffins
Betty Crocker’s Fall Baking magazine

1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup milk
3/4 cup sliced almonds
Additional sweetened condenced milk (1/4 cup)

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners or spray with cooking spray.

In large bowl, beat butter and sugar with mixer on medium speed until smooth. Mix in almond extract and eggs. Stir in flour, baking powder, 1/3 cup of condensed milk, whipping cream, milk and 1/2 cup of the almonds until just moistened. Divide batter evenly between cups. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 almonds evenly over batter.

Bake 15-20 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes. Drizzle 1 teaspoon additional condensed milk over top of each muffin. Best served warm.

1. noble pig October 16, 2008 at 5:55 am - Reply

I have bought six in the past week, I can’t help it it’s the best time of year.

These look worth the purchase!

2. recipes2share October 16, 2008 at 10:31 am - Reply

…and I’m buying mine in French!! Muffins look fab!

3. Marthe October 16, 2008 at 11:37 am - Reply

These muffins look greatm buce abd niust!! I just received a cooking magazine from a friend yesterday and will be flipping thought the pages tonight!

4. familiabencomo October 16, 2008 at 1:44 pm - Reply

Wow! This looks amazing!!! I love your photos & the new look to your blog. I wish I could come over on a Sunday afternoon & comb through magazines – that is a lot fun! Even better when you find a recipe that you can make right then & there. Great job, Honey B. And, thank you for sharing.

xoxox Amy

5. Meg October 16, 2008 at 3:13 pm - Reply

These look so light and delicious!

6. Megan October 16, 2008 at 4:32 pm - Reply

Where do I go to get me some of that will power?!?

7. Lo October 16, 2008 at 4:45 pm - Reply

Yeah — your will power is pretty astonishing. Especially considering how lovey these look. I’m so glad I stumbled over here… you’ve got lots of great stuff to share! We share the same addiction to cooking mags at this time of the year!

8. SaraLynn October 16, 2008 at 4:58 pm - Reply

Oh my….these are heavenly!

i am addicted to food magazines too 🙂

9. Stephanie October 16, 2008 at 7:38 pm - Reply

Sounds like me with cookbooks – I’m addicted to buying them! I’m excited to start cooking holiday yummies as well. 🙂

10. Flourchild October 16, 2008 at 7:38 pm - Reply

Oh my do these look tasty. Enjoy your magazines!!

11. Debbie October 16, 2008 at 8:59 pm - Reply

I am addicted too. I’ve picked up and put down about 4 magazines this past week. It is killing me. And I have no will power when it comes to goodies. That’s why I need to walk, walk, walk! So, good for you to stay away! I don’t think I could have, as your muffins look sooo good!!!

12. Cristine October 16, 2008 at 11:48 pm - Reply

YUM YUM YUM!

I’m addicted to food mags, too!

13. Patsyk October 17, 2008 at 1:03 pm - Reply

Wow! That looks completely decadent and I would not be able to resist a single bite of it! Yum!