I never was a big meatball fan unless it was a vegetarian meatball. But, since having Grumpy for a hubby and since he is such an avid hunter, we have all this venison in our freezer all the time! So, I have to come up with ways to use it! I have basically become a venison “fan” so to say. When I was a little girl I would never want to eat ground venison. I hated it. I prefered my mom’s vegetarian meatballs over real meat of any kind-any day! Still do actually. Someday soon I will have to showcase her meatballs on my blog. I just realized I haven’t done that yet! Anyway, last evening I made some venison meatballs. They looked great and smelled awesome – and you really couldn’t taste that “wild game” taste. (or maybe I have just become used to it?) In any case, I enjoyed them and plan to take a couple to work today for lunch! I don’t follow any specific recipe when making my meatballs. I basically throw together what I feel like and go from there. The recipe I made tonight follows.

Baking in the oven

HoneyB’s Homemade Venison Meatballs

1-1/2 lb ground venison (our vension is premixed with pork when taken to the butcher)
1-1/2 tsp garlic powder
1-1/2 tsp dried onion flakes
1/2 cup italian seasoned bread crumbs

1 egg

Ready for the sauce

Mix all together until well blended (I do use my hands for this!). Using large pampered chef scoop, scoop meatballs and place on foil lined cookie sheet. This makes a decent sized meatball and makes the men happy! Place in oven at 350 and bake for approximately 25 minutes. Remove from oven and mix with your favorite spaghetti sauce (tonight I used sauce from a jar for convenience sake!). Simmer on the stovetop until meatballs are no longer pink. Enjoy over top of spaghetti….all covered with cheese…. 🙂

Yum!!

I also would like to Thank Jenn from the Leftover Queen for putting me on her Finest Foodies Friday list. Be sure to join the Foodie Blogroll if you haven’t yet!! I was really pleased to see that I had been noticed!

1. Kitchen Flavours August 13, 2008 at 9:49 am - Reply

Wow looks yum yum. Nice pic

2. Barbara Bakes August 13, 2008 at 1:16 pm - Reply

I grew up with a father who hunted and I don’t think I knew what real hamburger was until I was older. My mom never served it like this though – looks tasty!

3. Jenny August 13, 2008 at 2:21 pm - Reply

Now those look finger licking good. I don’t think I’ve had venison, but what the heck, sign me up! Great recipe and pics!

4. Dave August 13, 2008 at 3:18 pm - Reply

Those meatballs look delicious. I happen to have some ground venison in my freezer right now…looks like I’ll have to thaw it out and get busy.

BTW, I would love it if you’d post your mom’s vegetarian meatball recipe.

5. noble pig August 13, 2008 at 4:17 pm - Reply

Wowzer that looks like a hearty dinner…I’m all over it!

6. Clumbsy Cookie August 13, 2008 at 9:34 pm - Reply

Yum indeed! What a great idea to bake them in the oven, my mom usually fries them. I would love to know your mom’s vegetarian ones!

7. The DeL Sisters August 14, 2008 at 12:10 am - Reply

Love meatballs! We have alot of deer where we live so I’ll probobly be maing these in the winter!

8. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen August 14, 2008 at 1:14 am - Reply

Me too, I would love to see your mom’s veggie ones, although I do love me some venison!

9. cakewardrobe August 14, 2008 at 2:03 am - Reply

I’m so jealous of your dinner!!

10. Kevin August 15, 2008 at 11:02 am - Reply

I can’t believe that I still have not tried making spaghetti and meatballs. This looks good and I like the sound of the venison meatballs.