This month’s recipe was chosen by Meeta of What’s for Lunch Honey? and her co-host, Tony of Olive Juice. A chocolate eclair recipe from Pierre Hermé!

I have made cream puffs many times in my life and I have even blogged about them. The challenging part to me was actually forming the pastry dough into an eclair shape. EH, I don’t think I did too awful bad.

The day I made the eclairs was the day we had a family tragedy and I didn’t get great photos. I was thinking because we like to eat these, I would make them again, but alas, I didn’t get the chance. I probably will attempt the eclair shape again. I didn’t have horrible luck. It isn’t often that I mess up cream puff dough (but it can happen!). My eclairs puffed up nicely and for the pastry cream I used the one I posted here – with butterscotch schnapps – totally by accident! I was going to use amaretto in the pastry cream and I grabbed the wrong bottle! Oh well, the pastry cream tasted great anyway!

To see what my fellow Daring Bakers did with their challenge this month, check out the blogroll. I had some pretty amazing previews in our DB Challenge forum so you don’t want to miss out!

1. Lis August 31, 2008 at 12:06 pm - Reply

Ohhh I think your “mistake” was definitely a keeper – butterscotch filling.. *swoon*

Another beautiful challenge, sweetie!!

xoxoxo

2. Passionate About Baking August 31, 2008 at 12:56 pm - Reply

Oh dear…hope all is Ok now? This is a pretty neat challenge…good for you. Can imagine the amaretto fiasco…LOL..I put a tbsp of coffee into the kids milk this morning iso nesquick!! My kids couldn’t figure out what was wrong!! You should have seen their faces!!

3. Katie August 31, 2008 at 1:42 pm - Reply

Like the way your filled your eclairs and the raspberries are a great addition. I can imagine the butterscotch schnapps going so well with them.

4. shellyfish August 31, 2008 at 2:06 pm - Reply

Your éclair looks just beautiful! I hope everything is ok now… and I love your accident – boozing things up is always a good idea!

5. kellypea August 31, 2008 at 2:10 pm - Reply

I hope your family is okay…
    Beautiful pastry — nice and plump, crisp looking. Very nice. The butterscotch sounds delicious!

6. sleepingbearinthekitchen August 31, 2008 at 2:38 pm - Reply

HB, I hope things are as well as they can be for you. Always in visiting I see such a great optimism and acceptance of how things are in your posts!
    As for the butterscotch filled eclairs….what a perfect mistake they turned out to be!!!

7. RecipeGirl August 31, 2008 at 2:51 pm - Reply

These look great! Hope your family is ok !

8. Audax Artifex August 31, 2008 at 2:56 pm - Reply

The look of your eclairs totally amazing and the butterscotch schnapps pastry cream you must of been in 7th heaven. Sorry to hear about your tragedy.

9. Pam August 31, 2008 at 3:01 pm - Reply

The éclairs look great…I love the raspberries on top. I hope your family is okay.

10. noble pig August 31, 2008 at 3:19 pm - Reply

That drippy chocolate gets me every time.

11. Tartelette August 31, 2008 at 3:32 pm - Reply

They turned out beautiful!
    I hope that the family issues are getting better (not sure of the right terms to use but know that you are in my thoughts)

12. April August 31, 2008 at 4:06 pm - Reply

I think that your mistake sounds wonderful! Fantastic looking eclairs!

13. BC August 31, 2008 at 4:21 pm - Reply

Don’t worry about pictures. There are days that other things are more important.

14. Beth August 31, 2008 at 5:30 pm - Reply

“Accidents” like yours, like using the wrong liqueor in a recipe, are what leads to new and exciting food. Brownies were invented when a baker accidentally left the leavening agents out of a cake batter! Nice job.

15. Bellini Valli August 31, 2008 at 5:31 pm - Reply

Your chocolate eclairs are very seasonal with a marriage of raspberries. The perfect combination!!!!!!!

16. Clumbsy Cookie August 31, 2008 at 5:43 pm - Reply

Of course you did not do it so awful! You did great, they look delicious with the raspberries!

17. Clumbsy Cookie August 31, 2008 at 5:44 pm - Reply

Came back because I just noticed we were commenting on each others blogs at the same time! Lol! Was that funny or what?

18. Aran August 31, 2008 at 5:47 pm - Reply

you did great!

19. maybelle's mom August 31, 2008 at 5:58 pm - Reply

Hope everything is okay now. I used fruit and mine and love it.

20. Cakespy August 31, 2008 at 6:01 pm - Reply

Looks like a happy mistake indeed!! 🙂 I wish I could have tasted your experiment!

On another note though I am sorry to hear that you had a tragedy. I hope everything is ok!

21. Hannah August 31, 2008 at 6:30 pm - Reply

These months always seem so short when trying to squeeze in the daring baker challenge and make it perfectly, huh? Don’t worry, your eclairs still look great!

22. Isa August 31, 2008 at 6:40 pm - Reply

Uuuh… raspberries inside sound delicious!
    Sorry you couldn’t enjoy yout éclairs so much due to your family tragedy. Hope everything is alright.

23. familiabencomo August 31, 2008 at 7:10 pm - Reply

Oh, girlfriend, it's been much too long! Sorry for being absent for such a long time. I can see that you have been keeping quite busy.

Sorry to hear about family tragedy. I hope things are OK.

Your eclairs look divine! It sounds like you are a pro at these puff pastry – I could have used your mentoring (or at least your schnapps!).

Big kisses to you & I am back on track with keeping up with my favorite bloggers.

xoxox Amy

24. dobetter August 31, 2008 at 7:53 pm - Reply

I hope everything is okay. Glad you got some nice photos of your yummy eclairs.

25. jillian August 31, 2008 at 8:43 pm - Reply

They look really good! I love the raspberry addition.

26. Eat4Fun August 31, 2008 at 9:37 pm - Reply

The fresh whole raspberries look great in your delicious looking eclairs!

Also, thanks for the kind comment on my blog. 🙂

27. TeaLady August 31, 2008 at 10:09 pm - Reply

Butterscotch filling. Yummy!!! LOve the raspberries.

28. Erin August 31, 2008 at 10:18 pm - Reply

The butterscotch flavor sounds wonderful! I hope that things have settled down for you!

29. Mcwhisky August 31, 2008 at 10:36 pm - Reply

Arghh!! The raspberry and the pastry cream looks tempting. Luscious cream encased within a fluffy and firm choux puff, what’s not to love?

30. Shelly Hattan August 31, 2008 at 10:50 pm - Reply

Butterscotch schnapps! That sounds really yummy. I love the raspberries, too!

FWIW, I am a civil engineer. My company name is CivilGrrl Engineering! No kidding! 🙂

31. rachelle August 31, 2008 at 11:20 pm - Reply

so pretty with the raspberries. also, i had fun looking around your blog. i love to meet a fellow canner~ thanks for the welcome!

32. Carrie August 31, 2008 at 11:53 pm - Reply

Those look so yummy!!!

33. Claire September 1, 2008 at 12:03 am - Reply

Looks fantastic…almost like a dessert hotdog! 😉 YUM!

34. Ranee September 1, 2008 at 12:04 am - Reply

Beautiful! I really like the raspberries in the filling.

35. MaryMary September 1, 2008 at 12:07 am - Reply

Sorry about the family tragedy, hope things are better soon.

The raspberries add such a freshness…wish I’d thought to add fresh fruit. It looks beautiful!

36. Laurie September 1, 2008 at 12:17 am - Reply

These turned out very pretty and look so tasty!

37. Anonymous September 1, 2008 at 12:50 am - Reply

I should have used Raspberries, they are my favorite…yours look wonderful! I wish I had more to eat now while looking at everyone’s. I’m hungry!

BonoboCakes

38. Antonio Tahhan September 1, 2008 at 12:50 am - Reply

what?! your eclairs look beautiful!! Let me know whenever you want to make eclairs again and I’ll make them too 🙂
    (the pastry cream link didn’t open though… I’m dying for more pastry cream and the butterscotch addition sounds delicious! haha)

39. Amy J. September 1, 2008 at 12:56 am - Reply

Omigosh, that looks good! Butterscotch – awesome – and I love the addition of berries.

40. Jaime September 1, 2008 at 1:16 am - Reply

wow, those look so good w/the raspberries!

i’m sorry to hear about your family tragedy 🙁

41. Tablebread September 1, 2008 at 4:22 am - Reply

I love that you used fresh fruit as a filling. I think that I may use this as a way to sneak fruit into my kids snacks!

42. Vera September 1, 2008 at 5:05 am - Reply

I’m so sorry to here about your family… I hope everything is better now.
    The éclairs are beautiful! I love the addition of fresh berries.

43. Jenny September 1, 2008 at 5:51 am - Reply

Wow, talk about beautiful eclairs. I love the pairing of chocolate and raspberries. You had a great challenge!

44. morgana September 1, 2008 at 7:49 am - Reply

Sooooooooooooooooo yummy with those raspberries… Mmmmm.

45. Indigo September 1, 2008 at 9:42 am - Reply

I hope everything’s okay with your family now? These look fabulous; butterscotch snapps pastry cream sounds like a very happy accident to me XD.

46. Sarah September 1, 2008 at 11:54 am - Reply

nice job! I love the raspberries. Im sorry to hear your family is going through a hard time. Life can be So unexpected at times. take comfort in each other.

47. Pamela September 1, 2008 at 11:57 am - Reply

Ummm raspberries so yummy. Hope you all are OK now

48. Dianne September 1, 2008 at 12:06 pm - Reply

Hope everything is ok now. I like your filling!

49. Kirstynn Evans September 1, 2008 at 12:13 pm - Reply

It looks great. I am sure it tasted even better! Good job!

50. culinarytravelsofakitchengoddess September 1, 2008 at 1:13 pm - Reply

Butterscotch filling sounds fabulous, and the addition of raspberries – drool.

51. Barbara Bakes September 1, 2008 at 1:47 pm - Reply

I love chocolate and raspberries. I’m sure I would love these!

52. bonnie September 1, 2008 at 2:28 pm - Reply

yum yum
    yum
    raspberries!

53. genkitummy September 1, 2008 at 3:12 pm - Reply

great job on the challenge! i’m glad that your mistake turned out well.

54. Candace September 1, 2008 at 3:16 pm - Reply

Hmmm… butterscotch. Funny how mistakes often create new recipes! 🙂 Looks great!

55. boston guerilla September 1, 2008 at 3:25 pm - Reply

Yum! I like the addition of fresh raspberries on your eclairs. I bet they tasted great.

56. Susan/Wild Yeast September 1, 2008 at 4:43 pm - Reply

I think your eclairs are perfectly shaped! I hope all is OK with your family.

57. How To Eat A Cupcake September 1, 2008 at 6:52 pm - Reply

I love the raspberries! Nice job.

58. Kevin September 1, 2008 at 7:12 pm - Reply

Nice eclairs! I like the raspberries in them!

59. Lauren September 1, 2008 at 10:01 pm - Reply

Ooo, yum! Your eclairs look amazing, especially the raspberries… Mmm!

60. Leslie September 2, 2008 at 1:06 am - Reply

Beautiful eclairs despite the Tragedy! I bet they were delish!

61. Leslie September 2, 2008 at 1:06 am - Reply

Beautiful eclairs despite the Tragedy! I bet they were delish!

62. pixie September 2, 2008 at 1:36 am - Reply

it looks pretty damn good to me! love the raspberries peeking out from the glaze and the pastry cream. and butterscotch schnapps? I’d like to raid your liquor cabinet!!!

63. Jude September 2, 2008 at 5:06 am - Reply

Hmm raspberries buried in pastry cream slathered with chocolate glaze. How can you go wrong with that?

64. Dana McCauley September 2, 2008 at 10:57 am - Reply

Sorry to hear you had a sad event on baking day. I find that coincidences like that can change the way I feel about a food. Glad to hear you can still face eclairs!

65. Aparna September 2, 2008 at 12:34 pm - Reply

Your eclair is dripping a lot of chocolate goodness. Looks very good to me.
    Hope everything is ok at home now.

66. Andreia Sousa September 2, 2008 at 6:42 pm - Reply

Your option for raspberries is wonderful. Love yours!

67. lilmizlynn September 3, 2008 at 6:00 pm - Reply

Your eclair looks great! I love the additional touch of the raspberries.. Awesome!
    I hope things are well for you and your family.