Flour tortillas dipped in a homemade enchilada sauce, filled with cheese, rolled up and topped with more sauce and cheese! Cheese Enchiladas with Red Sauce has been a family favorite in our home for years! Join the Sunday Supper Tastemakers this week as we celebrate Cinco de Mayo!
I have been dying to make these Cheese Enchiladas with Red Sauce for the longest time. Most of you who read my blog on a regular basis knows that Grumpy gets on the grumpy side when I make Mexican recipes. He is just not a fan of them unless it is my Roasted Shrimp Enchiladas with Cheesy Jalapeno Sauce that he is eating!
This recipe is from a Betty Crocker Mexican Cookbook that I bought well over 30 some years ago! It has been a favorite of my sons since the day I first made them. The sauce is incredibly flavorful and was a great starter recipe for me to try with enchiladas.
The original recipe calls for the sauce to be made with fresh tomatoes. That is great if you have them handy. When tomatoes are in full force over the summer, I would definitely go for it. However, when I make these out of tomato season, I tend to go to canned tomatoes.
The tortillas themselves are dipped in the warm sauce (both sides) and then filled with some Mexican Cheese Blend and rolled up. Easy peasy! Once they are all rolled, you top with more sauce and cheese and 20 minutes later you have some delicious, cheesy enchiladas to put on the table!
These are great drizzled with a little sour cream that has been thinned out some with fresh lime juice. Sprinkle with some fresh chopped cilantro and you have a tasty, satisfying meal!
As far as time goes, it takes about an hour to simmer the sauce, but it's an hour well spent, I promise! Feel free to spice it up a little more if you like, but the measurements here work quite well for us. This is a fairly mild recipe, not spicy with heat in any way, but spicy with flavor. Enjoy!
Cheese Enchiladas with Red Sauce
For the sauce:
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 large cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1-28 oz can diced tomatoes plus 1-8 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 10 flour tortillas
- 3 cups shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Cook and stir onion and garlic in oil in 12-inch skillet over medium heat until onion is tender. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, chili powder, salt, cumin, oregano and pepper. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 1 hour.
- Dip each tortilla into sauce to coat both sides (this is what will make the edges nice and crispy!). Spoon 2 Tablespoons cheese onto each tortilla. (this is where I also put some chopped up chicken pieces in the center). Roll tortilla around filling. Place seam sides down in ungreased rectangular baking dish. 13x9x2 inches. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cook uncovered in 350 degree oven until cheese is melted, about 20 minutes.
- Mix together sour cream and lime juice. Drizzle over top of each serving and sprinkle with cilantro.
Sunday Supper Easy Cinco de Mayo Recipes
- Beef and Portobella Tostados by Our Good Life
- Cumin Spiced Potato Quesadillas by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Easy 5 Minute Restaurant Style Salsa by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Fiesta Corn Dip Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rotisserie Chicken Nachos by Pies and Plots
- Cherry Paloma by The Crumby Cupcake
- Spicy Micheladas by Food Lust People Love
- Strawberry Pineapple Agua Fresca by Authentically Candace
- Cheese Enchiladas with Red Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Chicken Tinga Chalupas by Palatable Pastime
- Chicken Tortilla Soup by Soulfully Made
- Chipotle Chicken and Black Bean Soup by Cooking Chat
- Mexican Chicken and Black Bean Casserole by Simple and Savory
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas with Mexican Slaw by A Mind Full Mom
- Southwestern Chicken Layered Salad with Cilantro Dressing by My Savory Spoon
Sides and Sauces
- Alambre Skillet Cheese Dip by My Life Cookbook
- Black Bean Cilantro Rice by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mango Habanero Sauce by Caroline’s Cooking
- Queso Fundido (Melted Cheese with Chorizo) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Slow Cooker Healthy Refried Beans by Cricket’s Confections
- Blueberry-Chocolate Jicamuffins by What Smells So Good?
- Carlota de Limón – Lime Charlotte by Sunday Supper Movement
- Flourless Mexican Hot Chocolate Cake by Baking Sense
- Margarita Cupcakes by Gourmet Everyday
- Oreo Taco Cookies by Ninja Baker
- Sopapilla-Inspired Cheesecake Bars by Books n’ Cooks
- Strawberry Gluten-Free Hand Pies by And She Cooks
- Chicken Street Tacos by The Freshman Cook
- Chicken Fajitas by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lime Chicken Soft Tacos by Life Tastes Good
- Mini Taco Bowl Bites by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Pineapple Lime Chicken Tacos by Brunch-n-Bites
- Taco Bake by My World Simplified
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Pin it! Cheese Enchiladas with Red Sauce