This moist, delicious Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake is an easy cake recipe that is perfect for special occasions. Made with only 7 ingredients, it can be ready in 30 minutes and is as quick and easy as a cake mix. and will be devoured even quicker. It has a deep, dark, rich and chocolate flavor pairs perfectly with this chocolate buttercream frosting.
Say goodbye to cake mixes, and hello to homemade chocolate cake. This is the easiest recipe out there that is a no-fail recipe made from scratch. Just dump, mix and bake. The flavor is out of this world delicious and has been a favorite of mine since childhood.
An easy chocolate cake recipe for special occasions
Every year, on my birthday, my Nanny would make me my favorite cake. I always asked for Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake. Depending on my mood I would ask for different types of frosting. Two of my favorites would be chocolate or caramel frosting.
I have always thought of this Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake as a special occasion only cake and would make it whenever we had a special family event. While the frosting may not always chocolate, the cake recipe was. This will always be my forever favorite cake recipe.
What you need to make a Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
The two major ingredients that make this Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake are Cocoa Powder and Mayonnaise. Flour, sugar, baking soda, and vanilla are also ingredients, but I don't stick to any one brand for any of those for this cake. I make it with what I have in the cupboard.
Mayonnaise: This is the ingredient that takes place of the oil and eggs in the cake recipe. Many people have strong feelings about mayonnaise, and I have seen many people turn their nose up at the cake name because of it.
Mayonnaise is basically an emulsion of oil and eggs. It gives the cake a moistness and rich flavor that cannot be beaten. Everyone has their own opinion on what mayonnaise is best. My favorite is this brand.
8"Cake Pans are the best choice for this particular recipe. I have made it in 9" and the cake is too flat for my liking.
Cake Tips for the best results
- Use a full-fat mayonnaise. Whatever brand you prefer should be fine, but I do not recommend Miracle Whip as it has a sweetness to it that will change the flavor or the cake.
- Use a hand mixer to blend the ingredients together, however, don't over mix. Once the dry and wet ingredients are fully incorporated, stop mixing.
- Line the bottom of the cake pan with parchment paper. I do this with regular and non-stick cake pans just to be on the safe side.
- Let the cake cool at least 15 minutes before removing from the cake pan. Then turn it out onto a cooling rack, remove the parchment paper from the bottom, and let it cool completely before frosting.
Cake frostings you may like
When it comes to a frosting recipe, you can use whatever your favorite one is. I have several frostings that are my go tos when making this cake.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting is one of our favorite icing recipes and is the one pictured on this particular post.
Peanut Butter Oreo Frosting is creamy and delicious with bits of Oreo cookie in the frosting.
Almond Cream Cheese Frosting is creamy, easy to spread, and delicious.
Bailey's Irish Cream Frosting will add a little nip of booze in the frosting and is so creamy and delicious!
Caramel Frosting is like a nice thick piece of fudge coating a moist and delicious cake!
*If you made this recipe for Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake, please give it a star rating*
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 1-¼ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1-½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray two round 8-inch cake pans with cooking spray, line with parchment paper, then coat with cooking spray once again.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, sugar, and cocoa powder.
- Add the mayonnaise, water, and vanilla to the flour mixture and mix with an electric mixer until dry ingredients are just combined. Scrape the bowl to be sure to get all of the flour incorporated and the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the cake to wire racks and cool completely before frosting or storing. If unfrosted, store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days; freeze for longer storage.