Blueberry Scones

Buttery, moist, and delicious, these Blueberry Scones are bursting with fresh blueberries and a sweet lemon glaze. A perfect breakfast cake or snack to go with your afternoon tea.

I love to enjoy Blueberry Scones on the weekend out on my deck with a cup of hot steaming coffee in the early morning hours. I love the texture of these and the tart sweetness of the lemony glaze!

One blueberry scone on a white plate wit fresh blueberries scattered around it

A love of blueberries – A family tradition

I am always in happy land when blueberries are around. My son Justin is too! As a baby, blueberries were his very favorite fruit to eat. My mom would sit him in the highchair and let him eat as many as he wanted. I like to think he got some great nutrition from all those berries. He was my berry boy and took after his mom quite well.

I love making recipes with fresh blueberries. These Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins are probably one of my very favorite muffin recipes. Nothing says love to me like a warm from the oven-baked good with blueberries.

Overhead view of the scone recipe

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links.

What you need to make this recipe for Blueberry Scones

Fresh blueberries: Fresh blueberries work best in this recipe. You can substitute frozen, but expect them to turn out slightly different as there is moisture from those frozen berries that will seep out into the dough.

Sugar-Free French Vanilla Creamer: Using the creamer added a bit of flavor without extra sugar in the recipe.

Unsalted butter: Be sure the butter being used is cold butter. You will need to cut it into the flour mixture cold.

Pastry Blender: This makes it much easier to cut the butter into the flour mixture.

How to improvise and make this Blueberry Scone recipe your way

This blueberry scone recipe came about by improvising one I found from Tyler Florence. Many people had reviewed that recipe indicating it was a very dry dough. I decided to make his recipe my own way and got rid of the heavy cream in the recipe. Below are some ideas on how to substitute ingredients to make this Blueberry Scone recipe to fit what you may have in your pantry.

• Skip the sugar-free coffee creamer if you don’t use it and use all half and half.
  • If you only have salted butter, reduce the salt by half or skip it altogether.
    • Instead of glazing the scones, brush them with a little half and half prior to baking and sprinkle with some coarse sugar crystals on top of the blueberry scones.
Blueberry Scones

Other delicious scone recipes you may enjoy

While I love these Blueberry Scones, I do love all types of scone recipes. Below are some other delicious recipes to make on a chilly afternoon to enjoy with a hot cup of tea.

Maple Scones are my next favorite scone recipe. These are sweetened only with maple syrup and are very moist and delicious.

These Date Scones are made with chopped Medjool Dates and maple syrup. They are absolutely delicious and a must for date fans (like me!)

*If you made these Blueberry Scones, please give them a star rating*

Blueberry Scones
Yield: 8 Servings

The Best Ever Blueberry Scones

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes

A delicious breakfast scone that is bursting with blueberries and drizzled with a lemon icing.

Ingredients

For the Scones

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut in chunks
  • 1/2 cup sugar-Free French Vanilla Creamer
  • 1/2 cup half and half
  • 1 heaping cup fresh blueberries

For the Glaze

• Juice of one large lemon
  • grated rind of lemon
  • 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar more if needed

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
    2. Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter to coat the pieces with the flour until crumbly.
    3. Make a well in the center and pour in the creamer and milk. Fold everything together just to incorporate; do not over mix the dough. Fold the blueberries into the batter. Take care not to mash or bruise the
      blueberries
    4. Press the dough out on a lightly floured baking stone, forming a circle.
      If your dough was wet like mine you may need to use more flour to prevent sticking.  Cut into 8 pieces (like you would a pie) and carefully separate scones so they do not touch.   Brush the tops with a
      little of the creamer. Bake for 15 minutes
    5. Let the scones cool slightly before you apply the glaze.
    6. To make the glaze, mix the juice, rind and powdered sugar together.  I
      added 1/4 cup of sugar at a time until the glaze was a good consistency
      to drizzle over the scones.

Notes

**The leftover glaze is delicious drizzled over a fresh fruit salad!

Nutrition Information

Yield

Serving Size

Amount Per Serving Calories 321Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 20mgSodium 337mgCarbohydrates 55gFiber 1gSugar 30gProtein 4g

Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.

Did you make this recipe?

Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Instagram

1. Pam June 21, 2010 at 11:13 am - Reply

I wish my blueberries would hurry up and ripen!

2. bellini valli June 21, 2010 at 11:20 am - Reply

I wish I had these right now, since I love blueberries and I have yet to have breakfast:D Can you come over:D

3. Lynda June 21, 2010 at 1:38 pm - Reply

These look so addictive shelby! I've made one of Tylers scone recipes and they were amazing, so tender and yummy with the blueberries.

4. Kristen June 21, 2010 at 1:45 pm - Reply

Those scones look like perfect breakfast treat. Your pictures look good enough to eat!!! (oops didn't mean to wax poetic)

5. Kristen June 21, 2010 at 1:45 pm - Reply

6. vanillasugar June 21, 2010 at 1:56 pm - Reply

blueberry scones and cinnamon scones are my all time fav's. these look so good!

7. Amanda June 21, 2010 at 2:00 pm - Reply

I'll be honest, scones do not normally appeal to me as they always look dry and crumbly. THESE do not! They look fabulous!!

8. Heidi June 21, 2010 at 3:43 pm - Reply

I've never made or eaten scones before. What's wrong with me ?!? I need to try these out 🙂

9. Holly June 21, 2010 at 5:49 pm - Reply

Love blueberry scones-Mmmmyum!

10. Mags June 21, 2010 at 6:22 pm - Reply

We like our blueberries too! These look delicious!

11. Cristine June 21, 2010 at 6:56 pm - Reply

They look wonderful! I love blueberry scones!

12. Nan June 21, 2010 at 7:59 pm - Reply

I'm adding this to my list of goodies for breakfast! I do love scones and have never made them, but your recipe looks doable. Thanks for the mention about the cream

13. ajcabuang04 June 21, 2010 at 8:26 pm - Reply

Yay!! Thanks for mentioning my blog! Your scones look a billion times better than mine!! They look so perfect!! Now I know what these scones can really look like. Time to try it again for me!! Oh yeah, I'm finally following your blog! It took me the longest time to find the follow link XD But I just found it!! :DD

14. Diana's Cocina June 21, 2010 at 8:32 pm - Reply

What a wonderful treat! Would live to have one with a glass of tea. Great job!

15. Cooking with Kait June 21, 2010 at 9:09 pm - Reply

Those scones look so wonderful. Funny how you had a problem with them being wet when everyone else had a problem with them being dry.

16. Cathy from ID June 21, 2010 at 9:57 pm - Reply

Hey HoneyB! Thanks for the shout out for International Delight!

17. Grumpy and HoneyB June 21, 2010 at 10:18 pm - Reply

Thanks everyone!

Cathy – thank YOU! I use the French Vanilla SF all the time. I would love to see more SF flavors. 😀

18. pegasuslegend June 21, 2010 at 10:33 pm - Reply

I have some in the fridge gone for a few days for work but I am so making these when I get back they sound awesome !

19. baking.serendipity June 22, 2010 at 3:36 am - Reply

Blueberries are best in breakfasts…there's nothing better than blueberry scones or pancakes!

20. pigpigscorner June 22, 2010 at 9:05 am - Reply

I would love some of those for tea!

21. Liv Wan June 23, 2010 at 1:23 am - Reply

Love these blueberry scones so much. I wish I can have some now lol. Many thanks for sharing this recipe and hope you have a nice day.

22. Food Lover June 23, 2010 at 9:24 am - Reply

So simple, looks great 🙂

23. Kate Morgan Jackson June 23, 2010 at 12:44 pm - Reply

Hoo, now I know what to do with those berries in my fridge. Thanks!!

24. Angie June 24, 2010 at 1:17 pm - Reply

I've been wanting to make some scones and these look delish!

25. Katy ~ June 26, 2010 at 10:51 pm - Reply

Grins, I'm in Happyland when blueberries abound, and I'll tell you what, I'd be very happy if I had this!!

26. Lori June 27, 2010 at 1:00 am - Reply

I like the look and the sound of these! Cant wait until blueberry season.

27. Blueberry Honey May 28, 2012 at 4:01 am - Reply

I agree that happy land is full of blueberries! We have a freezer full of blueberries from the spring festivals here in Florida. Can't wait to try your recipe.

28. Seven of My Favorite Scones September 18, 2015 at 10:55 am - Reply

[…] Blueberries in Scones from The Life & Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch Cranberry Pear Scones with Orange Glaze from It’s Yummi! Strawberry Buttermilk Scones from That Skinny Chick Can Bake Lemon Ginger Scones from Crumb; A Food Blog Red Velvet Scones from Created By Diane Blueberry Scones from Diethood Cranberry Pecan Scones from Try Anything Once Culinary Coconut Lime Scones from Food Babbles Chocolate Chip Scones from Chocolate, Chocolate and More Bacon Scones from Pass the Sushi Butterscotch, Brown Sugar, and Cinnamon Scones with a Maple Glaze from From Cupcakes to Caviar […]

29. […] Blueberry Scones are bursting with fresh blueberries and drizzled with a lemon icing. […]